Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool vs Liege

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

That was pretty stressful. Anyway it's great to see we're winning these games that we don't really deserve to win. The past few seasons I've thought we were quite unlucky, dominating games but having nothing to show for it. So far this season we've been the opposite. Sign of champions...? At least there's some resilience anyway.

This team needs to gel quickly. Arsenal, Manchester United or Chelsa would have torn us to pieces on tonight's performance. Villa away will be a very tough game and the team looks very disjointed. Why can they not keep possession? Why is the defence so shaky? What are they doing in training? Relieved with the results so far but these players are seriously underperforming as a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mr Alan wrote: »
    that was ****ing easy.

bring on the mancs in two weeks.

Translation = quick, before Ronaldo is back! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PHB wrote: »
    Considering how Liverpool have been playing, I think its entirely possible this one will go to the wire. The players Liverpool have are a class apart from Lieges, but if Mascherano is out, I'd imagine the system is going to be like the one employed at Boro, which really didn't work that well.
    Also Liege played to Liverpools defensive weakness in the first leg, by whipping in crosses.
    Still fully expect Gerrard/Torres to score a winner in the 87th minute of course, but Liverpool really should be able to put this tie away early, just depends on if Rafa can find the system to suit his current players. Seems he's just sticking with the old system despite it not really working, taking the scrappy wins in the last 10 minutes, just hoping to get through until Mascherano returns.

It's really my gift for foresight that's got me where I am today. I forgot about extra time :)

Also once again, Liverpool score when el Zhar come on. 3rd time this season. Coincidence? Not in the slightest. Whatever about how good he is (to me he looks an average talent, prem quality, might omake Liverpool squad player) he provides the team with a proper bloody shape! I hope he doesn't start against United.

I know lots of Liverpool fans are knocking out the old, if you win when you are playing ****e, that's what makes champions. But I've got news for you, if you constantly play ****e, eventually somebody is going to draw/beat you [you're only 3 games in]. You need to play well consistantly, then when you play badly, still scrape the win. Liverpool have shown they can do the latter, but now they need to do the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,578 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have to admit I laughed at the end, 2 players who were going to get the mother and father of all slatings on every medium from here to carrier pigeon, combine to score the winner.

Tis a funny old game.

Gerrard out for a few weeks, I'll be putting my socks on Villa with Barry to score the winner at the weekend. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

PHB wrote: »
    It's really my gift for foresight that's got me where I am today. I forgot about extra time :)

Also once again, Liverpool score when el Zhar come on. 3rd time this season. Coincidence? Not in the slightest. Whatever about how good he is (to me he looks an average talent, prem quality, might omake Liverpool squad player) he provides the team with a proper bloody shape! I hope he doesn't start against United.

I know lots of Liverpool fans are knocking out the old, if you win when you are playing ****e, that's what makes champions. But I've got news for you, if you constantly play ****e, eventually somebody is going to draw/beat you [you're only 3 games in]. You need to play well consistantly, then when you play badly, still scrape the win. Liverpool have shown they can do the latter, but now they need to do the former.

meh, the naysayers can spout all the rubbish they want. couldn't care less if we go out in the next round, money in the bag, lets move on. Beat Villa and Utd and then move on in champs league. Chelsea have looked good so far, utd extremely lucky to have any points at all, as were Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Absolutely woeful display from Liverpool. The only impressive thing was Robbie Keane vanishing into thin air for most of the match.

copacetic wrote: »
    meh, the naysayers can spout all the rubbish they want. couldn't care less if we go out in the next round, money in the bag, lets move on. Beat Villa and Utd and then move on in champs league. Chelsea have looked good so far, utd extremely lucky to have any points at all, as were Arsenal.

Sweet Jesus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Boggles wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus.

Sour jesus,
    what are you on about? bitter much

mayordenis wrote: »
    Sour jesus,
    what are you on about? bitter much

Why would I be bitter?, The Sweet jesus was mainly to do with this comment.

utd extremely lucky to have any points at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Absolutely woeful display from Liverpool. The only impressive thing was Robbie Keane vanishing into thin air for most of the match.

give liege credit though, no matter how bad liverpool were or were not (and they were very bad and keane was a joke), liege were terrific, it reminded me of reading at old trafford on the first day of last season only ten times more committed than Coppells team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Yeah Liege were soooo good they couldn't score one goal in over 3 and a half hours of football. As bad as Livepool were at least the fans can admit it. Liege offered nothing in that match tonight bar the 10 minute spell in the first half when Reina had to get busy. The rest of the game Liverpool dominated comfortably and, while toothless, it was a matter of time before the goal came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Boggles wrote: »
    I have to admit I laughed at the end, 2 players who were going to get the mother and father of all slatings on every medium from here to carrier pigeon, combine to score the winner.
    Heh, Rafa looked like he was going nuts when Babel was on the ground after the knock in the ribs he got.

Gerrard out for a few weeks, I'll be putting my socks on Villa with Barry to score the winner at the weekend. ;)
    He's predicted to miss 10 - 15days. Just took a look at the fixtures, he'll probably play against Villa on 31st, have the operation the next day and try to be back for ManU on the 13th. Would only miss England matches in between, hopefully no Liverpool games. Alternatively they'll play it safe and get it done asap, let him recapture fitness during the international break so he's fit and raring to go for ManU.

<edit> just spotted that its scheduled for tomor, so option 2 it is. Still should be a decent enough to against Villa, alonso and masch in the middle, Keane ahead behind torres, and any 2 of the many 'wide' players on the flanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

podge018 wrote: »
    Yeah Liege were soooo good they couldn't score one goal in over 3 and a half hours of football. As bad as Livepool were at least the fans can admit it. Liege offered nothing in that match tonight bar the 10 minute spell in the first half when Reina had to get busy. The rest of the game Liverpool dominated comfortably and, while toothless, it was a matter of time before the goal came.
    You are joking right?

No I'm not joking, what else did they do? Even Giles and Whelan who couldn't be more anti-Liverpool tonight admitted that Liverpool were lording it in midfield and Liege were bereft of any attacking nous for most of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

had they scored they would have went through and they didn't even play their star striker for 80% of that game or the other match, when he came on tonight they put him out on the wing, lucky us he wasn't playing up front in belgium or it wouldn't have finished 0-0

• Advertisement

Liege had 3 shots on target tonight and 28% (twenty-eight!) of the possession, yet Liverpool were lucky. Maybe if Pool goal had gone in off the corner-flag I'd agree but no, Liverpool as bad as they were, deservedly went through.

No I'm not joking, what else did they do? Even Giles and Whelan who couldn't be more anti-Liverpool tonight admitted that Liverpool were lording it in midfield and Liege were bereft of any attacking nous for most of the game.
    They were the better team all night tonight and the last night also. Liverpool were on top in the second half of injury time.
    Its clear that Liverpool need width and they were lucky tonight. There were the chances you mention, then there was the chance where that guy with the dye in his hair was marginally offside. Your keeper kept you in it with two world class saves. Ok they didn't score but between tonight and the last night Reina pulled off a number of magnificent saves. Liverpool had a lot of ball in the centre alright but it all came to nothing because you had nowhere to go with the whole game being played in the centre of the pitch when Liverpool were in possession.
    Edit to summarise Liverpools performance, lacking width, creativity and carrying two players at all times who were out of position and as a result out of the game.

If you think they were the better team tonight you need your head checked. Good night.

Liege had 3 shots on target tonight and 28% (twenty-eight!) of the possession, yet Liverpool were lucky. Maybe if Pool goal had gone in off the corner-flag I'd agree but no, Liverpool as bad as they were, deservedly went through.

to be fair, Liege used their 28% better then pool used their 72%
    Better finishing and Liege could have had 2 or 3, same in the first game. Same cant be said for pool. A few half chances at best until Kuyts winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Disagree with you there too. Nobody's really saying that Liege were very good, more that they put in an excellent performance. Liverpool were poor IMO and we did not dominate that game comfortably. Also if Pepe Reina (or Cech or Casillas) weren't in goals I'd have been a complete nervous wreck for that match. Liverpool created no clearcut chances, except a possible penalty near the end of extra time. Liege defended well, Liverpool defended poorly. Liege offered little in attack, Liverpool neither. Liverpool are a much better team but did not play better tonight.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    They were the better team all night tonight and the last night also. Liverpool were on top in the second half of injury time.
    Its clear that Liverpool need width and they were lucky tonight. There were the chances you mention, then there was the chance where that guy with the dye in his hair was marginally offside. Your keeper kept you in it with two world class saves. Ok they didn't score but between tonight and the last night Reina pulled off a number of magnificent saves. Liverpool had a lot of ball in the centre alright but it all came to nothing because you had nowhere to go with the whole game being played in the centre of the pitch when Liverpool were in possession.

between the 2 of you, the truth is right in the middle. Liverpool were more in control of the game, pretty much the Whole game (particularly from the second half or normal time onwards), but couldn't produce the goods. Liege battled well, made it difficult and created some good chances with their lesser posession. Given that Liege were underdogs and performed so valiantly its hard not to feel sorry for them, but lets not make out like they bossed the first 90minutes like you make out. It was more liverpool poor play then Liege brilliance in the middle of the park and up front (for liverpool).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Liverpool badly need width; that's what is clear tonight. Babel simple doesn't get wide often enough, it's a little bit ironic that they score from one of the few times he gets down the outside. El Zhar looked alright when he came on, but he wont win you anything. two good wingers are needed; if they dont then i think we are going to see this type of game happen frequently.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    between the 2 of you, the truth is right in the middle. Liverpool were more in control of the game, pretty much the Whole game (particularly from the second half or normal time onwards), but couldn't produce the goods. Liege battled well, made it difficult and created some good chances with their lesser posession. Given that Liege were underdogs and performed so valiantly its hard not to feel sorry for them, but lets not make out like they bossed the first 90minutes like you make out. It was more liverpool poor play then Liege brilliance in the middle of the park and up front (for liverpool).
    The other guy does not have a clue, I don't mean to harp on, I'm not a Liverpool fan as I have made clear before but I don't dislike any team either.
    It really came down to the fact that Liege created chances, defended well, and as I said Liverpool offered no width, no creativity and were carrying players who were being played out of position.
    I'm glad to see them go through but I really think they are going nowhere unless Benitez can bring in top class players on the left and right sides. Gerard can fill that rightside role, but he is out for a couple of weeks and that means they are going to be even less likely to have width. Riera I know nothing about but he should be an automatic if he can cross a ball.
    Over the two legs Liverpool showed nothing that would concern any team and looked less likely to score tonight than Liege. Same as the last meeting two weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Liege were very good. My issue though with our team though is that there was very little fluency in our team. The passing was yet again awful and we couldn't string a move together to save our lives.

By the way, anyone have any insight into the beef between Rafa nd the Liege manager? I missed the incident cos I was in the jax.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ahh nicely done, and I think there's a possibility Ken & Deirdre might get married again as well.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Ahh nicely done, and I think there's a possibility Ken & Deirdre might get married again as well.

I don't get it man.:pac:

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Liege were very good. My issue though with our team though is that there was very little fluency in our team. The passing was yet again awful and we couldn't string a move together to save our lives.

By the way, anyone have any insight into the beef between Rafa nd the Liege manager? I missed the incident cos I was in the jax.:pac:
    It was to do with Liverpool not giving the ball back after it was put out of play so that a player could receive treatment.

eagle eye wrote: »
    It was to do with Liverpool not giving the ball back after it was put out of play so that a player could receive treatment.

Oh okay thanks, sportsmanship is a difficult topic, especially in the modern game where wasting time/diving is labelled "gamesmanship".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I don't get it man.:pac:

There might also be a new Dr Who...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,400 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Two match threads in a row that have generated a slew of posts.

Yes we are playing rubbish. Yes the formation at the moment is not ideal. Yes Masch is yet to return. And yes the transfer window has not yet closed.

How people see fit to draw conclusions on how our season will pan out after four competitive matches have been completed is beyond me. We are in the hat for the CL draw tomorrow and have banked the 10m squid - and we somehow have maximum points in the premiership for our first two games. FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER UNDER BENITEZ.

As such, things remain as they were before we kicked a ball in anger. We are still a slightly outside shout for the league and will be a draw no - one really wants in Europe.

As for the match itself, Liege worked their socks off and were extremely organized and robust in defense. They forced a couple of great saves from Reina in the first half and plenty of corners in the 2nd / extra time. They can also claim to have shaded the first leg in Belgium.

HOWEVER, we did have the ball for the majority of the game (by a significant margin) and looked more likely to score from 60 mins on. Liege, like Boro at the weekend, can feel hard done by - but it wasn't as if us getting over the line was a travesty of unimaginable proportions!!

A win is a win is a win is a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Two match threads in a row that have generated a slew of posts.

Yes we are playing rubbish. Yes the formation at the moment is not ideal. Yes Masch is yet to return. And yes the transfer window has not yet closed.

How people see fit to draw conclusions on how our season will pan out after four competitive matches have been completed is beyond me. We are in the hat for the CL draw tomorrow and have banked the 10m squid - and we somehow have maximum points in the premiership for our first two games. FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER UNDER BENITEZ.

As such, things remain as they were before we kicked a ball in anger. We are still a slightly outside shout for the league and will be a draw no - one really wants in Europe.

As for the match itself, Liege worked their socks off and were extremely organized and robust in defense. They forced a couple of great saves from Reina in the first half and plenty of corners in the 2nd / extra time. They can also claim to have shaded the first leg in Belgium.

HOWEVER, we did have the ball for the majority of the game (by a significant margin) and looked more likely to score from 60 mins on. Liege, like Boro at the weekend, can feel hard done by - but it wasn't as if us getting over the line was a travesty of unimaginable proportions!!

A win is a win is a win is a win.

The voice of reason, no rose tinted glasses in this post , nice honest post ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nice spin.

LuckyLloyd - I agree 100%, that's what I said but put more eloquently.

As for the rest of the season, if anybody thinks we're going to continue playing like we have been they'll get a shock. We've played with half a midfield, are integrating new players and using an unfavoured formation, but we're still winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

You dont actually believe that Ronnie Whelan has ever been anti liverpool in his life do you?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We are still a slightly outside shout for the league

This is in no way true, there is 0% chance that Liverpool will win the league this year, unless it's a league for having the most central midfielders playing at once all standing in the opposition box tripping each other up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There might also be a new Dr Who...

Have to kill a pope too don't forget.

Here is the full list
    ...In 1981...
    Prince Charles got married
    Ken and Deirdre got married (Coronation Street)
    There was a new Doctor Who
    Liverpool finished fifth in the League
    Liverpool won 17 league games
    Norwich were relegated
    Crystal Palace were relegated
    Liverpool won the European Cup
    There was a new Pope

In 2005...
    Prince Charles got married
    Ken and Deirdre got married (Coronation Street)
    There was a new Doctor Who
    Liverpool finished fifth in the League
    Liverpool won 17 league games
    Norwich were relegated
    Crystal Palace were relegated
    Liverpool won the European Cup
    There was a new Pope

Mike.

In relation to last nights match, Liverpool were worse than any time I saw them last season, I can't believe they've managed to go backwards instead of forward.

El Zarrrrr, Kuyt, Benayoun, Babel, Alonso, Arbeloa and Skyrtl were all absolutely brutal last night and the Torres and Keane partnership hasn't a hope while you have all those central players running around trying to attack the penalty spot.

Gerrard had about five square metres to play in so he couldn't do much, I thought the best players on the park were Onyewu and Defor, the Liege captain. Outstanding saves from Reina, got to give him credit for those, and terrible finishing from their striker with two names, El Something, mean that Liverpool scraped into the CL draw. But that was the aim of it so fair play.

Did anyone else think Benitez made a spa of himself by doing the "dive" gesture to their manager about 5 minutes after slating his own player, Babel, for diving and screaming at Torres to get the clown off the ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Draupnir wrote: »
    You dont actually believe that Ronnie Whelan has ever been anti liverpool in his life do you?

He was a Utd fan until he signed for Liverpool.

So in answer to your question. Yes.

El Zarrrrr and Skyrtl were absolutely brutal last night

I thought they were both excellent tbh.
    Did anyone else think Benitez made a spa of himself by doing the "dive" gesture to their manager about 5 minutes after slating his own player, Babel, for diving and screaming at Torres to get the clown off the ground?

no.

Benitez was screaming to get Babel off the ground. So he didnt make a spa of himself at all.

• Advertisement

He was a Utd fan until he signed for Liverpool.

So in answer to your question. Yes.

I was not aware of his allegiance before his Liverpool days, let me rephrase the question, in his time as a football pundit, does anyone actually believe he isn't completely biased and rose tinted toward Liverpool?

I thought they were both excellent tbh.

no.

Benitez was screaming to get Babel off the ground. So he didnt make a spa of himself at all.

I thought Skrtl just fouled his marker every time he got the chance and hoofed the ball around, I think his positioning is highly suspect. El Zarrrr just seems like a headless chicken, he can't dribble, he can't pass and he can't get to the byline based on last nights game.

Yes i dont think he is.

He said last season around Christmas that Rafa should get the sack and that the fans didnt want him anymore, and that he should be replaced with Jose.

In reality, Rafa has virtually 100% support of the fans. And the majority of Liverpool fans dont want Jose anywhere near our club.

So in summary, a once great player has turned into nothing but a bitter ex pro who likes to moan constantly about the current players and manager, including at a Q&A session i attended that he was the speaker at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I was not aware of his allegiance before his Liverpool days, let me rephrase the question, in his time as a football pundit, does anyone actually believe he isn't completely biased and rose tinted toward Liverpool?

He's one of the biggest critics of Benitez in the media and i have always had the feeling that he wouldn't give Benitez credit no matter what he does. He is one of the pundits who liked to talk about how zonal marking doesn't work, then when it starts to work he never mentioned it again.:rolleyes:

I didn't know that about him being a UTd fan. Hard to imagine that he doesn't feel some affiliation to the club he spent his career with though..:confused:

No, because Benitez as you pointed out yourself wasn't tolerating diving from his own players. Now if he had stayed quiet when Babel dived and criticized the manager for his own player diving then yes it would have been embarassing. But that's not what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

He was disgraceful in suggesting that the reason that pool did not give the ball back to Liege was that the guy had dived when it was obvious he was injured. It was sad to see sportmanship go aout the window.

• Advertisement

I thought Skrtl just fouled his marker every time he got the chance and hoofed the ball around, I think his positioning is highly suspect. El Zarrrr just seems like a headless chicken, he can't dribble, he can't pass and he can't get to the byline based on last nights game.

1: on at least 4-5 occassions Skrtl carried the ball into their half looking for probing passes. I thought he did excellently.

2: were you watching the same game with El Zhar? he went by his marker numerous times, put in a couple of good balls into the box and dribbled round a few of their defenders on a lovely little run into their box, resulting in them taking him out of it for wat should have been a definate penalty. it was his second ever appearance at Anfield afaik.

are you on a wind up here?

so much to slate about last night, and you choose two of the people who came away from the game with any credit?! wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

In reality, Rafa has virtually 100% support of the fans. And the majority of Liverpool fans dont want Jose anywhere near our club.

Would argue this based on pool fans I know. At best 60-40.

No, because Benitez as you pointed out yourself wasn't tolerating diving from his own players. Now if he had stayed quiet when Babel dived and criticized the manager for his own player diving then yes it would have been embarassing. But that's not what happened

But was he going mad to get Babel off the ground because it was a dive or because the free wasn't given? My belief is that, had the ref given the free, Benitez wouldn't have gone on and said "Hey ref, that was a dive, shouldn't be a free"

1: on at least 4-5 occassions Skrtl carried the ball into their half looking for probing passes. I thought he did excellently.

2: were you watching the same game with El Zhar? he went by his marker numerous times, put in a couple of good balls into the box and dribbled round a few of their defenders on a lovely little run into their box, resulting in them taking him out of it for wat should have been a definate penalty. it was his second ever appearance at Anfield afaik.

are you on a wind up here?

so much to slate about last night, and you choose two of the people who came away from the game with any credit?! wtf?

Yeah I watched the game from 27 minutes gone until the end. Perhaps I just remember the bad things more easily than you whilst you let the decent moments push the bad dreams out of your head.

Your left winger put in a "couple of good balls" and you remember a single "lovely little run" and you reckon he did well? I thought he dived for that penalty appeal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Thought Skyrtle played alright last night, didn't see him hoof much at all. If anything I remember him bringing the ball a fair bit into Liege's half.
    Arbeloa was the guilty one last night as regards to hoofing.
    El Zahr, does look a bit headless when he comes on, but he did cause their tiring defense problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement