Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool vs Liege

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

eagle eye wrote: »
    I cannot believe that Kuyt is still on the pitch. I'd have rathered to put Keane outside than leave Kuyt in the pitch.

eh.....you eating your words now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Denied a penalty shoot out. No fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Liverpool won't win anything this season unless they go and sign two wingers. Keanes a waste of money if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Of course this means Liverpool will win the Champions League and welcome back Masch!

Fair play to El Zhar, once again he made a difference (many reserve team watchers reckoned he was not up to anything).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

35notout wrote: »
    Absolutely not, so he got a goal in the dying minutes of extra time. I'll put it to you that if Benitez had taken him off at half time that there might not have been any need for extra time.;)
    I think its clear that they need width and Kuyt is not a wide player, they don't have any, its a serious issue if Liverpool want to take on United and Chelsea. Right now they are short on players who can deliver width and give space to the players in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mike65 wrote: »
    Of course this means Liverpool will win the Champions League

Mike.

Luck has to run out for them soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Rubbish game, fair fcuks to Dirk , Dutch legend , works his socks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Talk about big big goals , That one just saved a few jobs IMO.

As the panel are saying it will cover a few cracks in the team,

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

This match, the Middlesborough match, the first leg, and the Sunderland match confirm one thing.

Steven Gerrard CANNOT play centre midfield in a 4-4-2, it is not his game! He should not be playing directly on front of the defenders, he can do bugger all from there.

Get Masch back in, get the hell back to 4-2-3-1, and let's start the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OPENROAD wrote: »

Are we getting in to this arguement again? How many years have Liverpool supposedly been riding their luck? At what stage does it stop being luck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh that was a struggle, but the result is all that counts the only thing is Liverpool have now played rather poorly in 3 games and come out and top, they can either pick it up and push on or wait until their luck runs out and sit in 4th place with no trophies again.

I love it (just love it) when Utd fans gather to gloat.

Theres' loads wrong right now and yet still winning, I'd look out cos if Liverpool start playing well they'll might still win. ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

have to say i was very impressed with el zhar tonight he played very well and tried hard

another very important goal for kuyt fair play to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

OPENROAD wrote: »

or alternatively they can just play better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

flat, narrow, wasteful and sloppy from liverpool

Jazzy wrote: »
    flat, narrow, wasteful and sloppy from liverpool

You forgot "and won 1-0"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Stekelly wrote: »
    DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I really dont know what all the moanign about Liverpool scorign late gols is about. Especially from UTD fans. You lot built half of you sucess of the last 15 years on late goals and comebacks.

Your alllowed scoe at any time, it counts the same.

But United were also the highest scorers last season and have consistently been among the highest scorers each season

Look at the trend though and tell me you're happy, 83rd Min goal(v Sunderland), 85th Min goal(First goal v Middlesboro) and 118th Min goal tonight(after a scoreless draw in the first leg). The goals are getting later in each game and two of these games were at home.

spockety wrote: »
    This match, the Middlesborough match, the first leg, and the Sunderland match confirm one thing.

Steven Gerrard CANNOT play centre midfield in a 4-4-2, it is not his game! He should not be playing directly on front of the defenders, he can do bugger all from there.

Get Masch back in, get the hell back to 4-2-3-1, and let's start the season.
    He can't do it when they have no width, he has no space to work in, imagine if you had threats down the right and left and the space that would be available to Gerard and Alonso in the middle, both can score from distance and both can supply the two up front as well.

He can't do it when they have no width, he has no space to work in, imagine if you had threats down the right and left and the space that would be available to Gerard and Alonso in the middle, both can score from distance and both can supply the two up front as well.

With Mascherano sitting on the bench...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

El Zhar very impressive tonight I thought, what say the Liverpool boyos.

• Advertisement

heyjude wrote: »
    But United were also the highest scorers last season and have consistently been among the highest scorers each season

and your point is????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

35notout wrote: »

I doubt it, Kuyt gives the ball away far too easily and was especially shocking tonight, unbelievably bad actually, if he performed like that every game he'd need a goal a match to make up for it.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Fair play to El Zhar, once again he made a difference (many reserve team watchers reckoned he was not up to anything).

+1 - He looked really good tonight, I recon he should be real quality in the future.

Heard something said on the panel on RTE tonight that i've been saying for a while (although I don't agree with them often). The 2 wide men and full backs are our weakest areas. Were grand if its Babel on the left and Yossi on the right, if it's any other variation we just don't do it. I can't understand playing Yossi on the left, he's poor out there.

Liverpool scored just shy of 120 goals in all comps last year. I think that was the highest iirc. It certainly was up until very late last season.

Look at the trend though and tell me you're happy, 83rd Min goal(v Sunderland), 85th Min goal(First goal v Middlesboro) and 118th Min goal tonight(after a scoreless draw in the first leg). The goals are getting later in each game and two of these games were at home.

If we won every game 1-0 with an 89th min goal I'd be delighted. The whole 90 mins is there to play in, the goal counts whenever its scored.

Yes, the play could be a lot better but he timeign of goals is irrelevant.
    colly10 wrote: »
    I doubt it, Kuyt gives the ball away far too easily and was especially shocking tonight, unbelievably bad actually, if he performed like that every game he'd need a goal a match to make up for it.

People seem to miss the fact that Torres and Gerrard took some stupid shots and gave the ball away too, yet people always fcus on Kuyt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Phew - relief - Thank God there was no penalty shoot-out.

Kuyt and Babel combine to create the goal after two shocking performances.
    Gerrard was playing too deep far away from goal. Hopefully when Masch is back he can push up the pitch.
    Alonso did not impress - the number of balls he played square or back to the defenders was depressing.
    I thought Aurelio and Arbeloa did ok. Carra was mixed - good in patches, poor in other. Skrtel battled well. Good performance. Reina was class in everything he did. Kuyt awful awful awful - apart from the goal obv - shocking touch. I would prefer to see El Zhar start on the right against Villa given his performance tonight. Torres - worst performance ever for Liverpool - looked totally off his game. Worrying. On the other hand Keane probably had his best performance for Liverpool to date - I thought he was unlucky to be subbed. Babel was very very poor apart from the cross for the goal - Disappointing. El Zhar really great game - stonewall penalty - looked lively looked really hungry, really got at their defenders, played some nice passes really offered a lot more than Kuyt on the right. Plessis - MOTM - nah not on long enough.

Standard Liege in fairness to them were a very well organised unit and looked very decent at the back and in midfield - their forwards looked capable enough but werent given a major chance to make an impact. I could see Liege doing very well in the UEFA Cup - I don't think many teams would look forward to being drawn against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Look at the trend though and tell me you're happy

liverpool were the highest scorers last season in all competitions.

No, nobody is happy with the performances, but we've won and theres still plenty of room for improvement. At least we haven't lost ground, so when it does eventually click it wont be too late (provided it clicks sooner rather then later).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its so unusual to have a game like that in Aug.

With Mascherano sitting on the bench...??
    If you look back a couple of pages I put up the lineup I think is best for Liverpool. I am just pointing out that you cannot decide on whether Gerard can play there when there is no width. My thoughts are that Liverpool need to buy someone urgently for the left side and play a 4-4-2 with Mascherano in the holding role, Alonso in the creative role, Gerard on the right and whoever comes in on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mr. X wrote: »

At least he came on and offered something different. I think Riera will have to be pretty poor not to seriously improve us down the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

managed to scrape through the qualifiers again!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

feck it we're throught now and we still have maximum points in the Premier League more than anyone outside of Liverpool and Chelsea can say :)

If you look back a couple of pages I put up the lineup I think is best for Liverpool. I am just pointing out that you cannot decide on whether Gerard can play there when there is no width. My thoughts are that Liverpool need to buy someone urgently for the left side and play a 4-4-2 with Mascherano in the holding role, Alonso in the creative role, Gerard on the right and whoever comes in on the left.

Ah, eh, but I said Gerrard shouldn't play central midfield in a 4-4-2, you argue that he should if Liverpool use width that gives him space, but then you say you think the best line up is with Gerrard on the right wing..

As I say, get Masch back in and get Gerrard out of the centre of midfield.

. I would prefer to see El Zhar start on the right against Villa given his performance tonight. .

I think people need to calm down a touch with El Zahr. He's just getting into the team and I suspect he might be having the advantage Babel seemed to get last season in that he comes offthe bench against players who have played an hour or more and he is fresh. He is playing well as a sub. Kets not rush him.

Ah, eh, but I said Gerrard shouldn't play central midfield in a 4-4-2, you argue that he should if Liverpool use width that gives him space, but then you say you think the best line up is with Gerrard on the right wing..

As I say, get Masch back in and get Gerrard out of the centre of midfield.
    No, I never argued that he should play there, what I said is that he could play there and that you don't really see what he can do when you don't have width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Mr. X wrote: »

Played well when he came on, but in fairness, he came on in the last 10 mins of normal time and the Liege defense began to tire and weaken.
    He had the fresh legs and caused some problems, just as well :).

Liege played very well again. They had their chances and again Reina was called into action.
    Liverpool very stale for most of the match and offered nothin' out wide all match, bar the one successful cross from Babel for the winner.

Liege, team to watch in the UEFA Cup me thinks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

redzerdrog wrote: »
    and your point is????

The point is that there is a big difference between a late scoring low scoring team and a late scoring high scoring team. United have scored lots of late goals, but many of them were in games in which they had already scored several goals. This isn't the same situation in which Liverpool now find themselves in, where they have scored late in games that were scoreless at the time.

That being the case, Aston Villa have conceeded 5 goals for far in their opening two PL games, so Liverpool should have several good opportunities to score on Sunday.

• Advertisement

No, I never argued that the should play there, what I said is that he could play there and that you don't really see what he can do when you don't have width.

Fair enough, obviously there was little choice with Masch and Lucas unavailable, but I presume we are agreed that when Masch/Lucas/Alonso/Plessis are all fit and available, Gerrard should not get a starting berth in the centre of midfield, whether that means shifting right in a 4-4-2, or on the right/centre of the three in a 4-2-3-1...?

:rolleyes:Yeah cos Liege were great.

Liege dont claim to be great ;)

I felt sorry for Liege when Kuyt scored, their workrate and effort was amazing and for a club of their size they have a tidy enough team. I hope they get a good draw in the wafer cup.

Fair enough, obviously there was little choice with Masch and Lucas unavailable, but I presume we are agreed that when Masch/Lucas/Alonso/Plessis are all fit and available, Gerrard should not get a starting berth in the centre of midfield, whether that means shifting right in a 4-4-2, or on the right/centre of the three in a 4-2-3-1...?
    Yeah I'd agree with that, I think he is needed on the right, but if you had a world class right sided player, I think I'd have him as first choice in midfield along with Mascherano.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

The point is that there is a big difference between a late scoring low scoring team and a late scoring high scoring team. United have scored lots of late goals, but many of them were in games in which they had already scored several goals. This isn't the same situation in which Liverpool now find themselves in, where they have scored late in games that were scoreless at the time.

That being the case, Aston Villa have conceeded 5 goals for far in their opening two PL games, so Liverpool should have several good opportunities to score on Sunday.

what are you talking about at all? they were talking about man utd success over the last 15 years with goals in the last few mins to snatch a victory not scoring the 4th goal of a 4-0 in the 90th min:confused:

and as it was already pointed out liverpool scored about 120 goals in all comps last season more than any other team

• Advertisement

let's say late goals which count are ones that guarantee points or convert 0 points into 1 or 1 into 3 which are scored in the last 25% of a match?

Last season:

United V Sunderland - 3 points 72 mins
    United v Everton - 3 points 83 mins
    United v Arsenal - 1 point 82 mins
    United v Sporting - 3 points 93 mins
    United v Villa - 3 points 81 mins
    United v Reading - 3 points 77 mins
    United v Spurs - 1 point 94 mins
    United v Lyon - 1 point 87 mins
    United v Derby - 3 points 76 mins
    United v Blackburn - 1 point 88 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Ardent

Kuyt will end up costing Benitez his job if he keeps playing him on the right, or anywhere for that matter. Woeful player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

People seem to miss the fact that Torres and Gerrard took some stupid shots and gave the ball away too, yet people always fcus on Kuyt.

Gerrard gives the ball away rarely (especially compared to Kuyt) and tend to try more difficult passes than Kuyt (passes with purpose rather than to get rid of it before tackelled). He also shows for alot and is involved in most movement through the midfield
    Torres trys things like turning the player if he takes a ball with his back to the player, your going to give the ball away a bit trying this but when it works it really pays off. Torres looses the ball quite alot but with the amount of goals he scores he more than makes up for it.

Kuyt looses the ball alot and its unforced errors or at least situations where you'd expect him to find a pass, he's annoying because too much of the breakdown in play can be attributed to him (more than his fair share).

People don't have this opinion of him for no reason. Maybe Vorinons a good player and everyone just focuses on his mistakes too much?

let's say late goals which count are ones that guarantee points or convert 0 points into 1 or 1 into 3 which are scored in the last 25% of a match?

Last season:

United V Sunderland - 3 points 72 mins
    United v Everton - 3 points 83 mins
    United v Arsenal - 1 point 82 mins
    United v Sporting - 3 points 93 mins
    United v Villa - 3 points 81 mins
    United v Reading - 3 points 77 mins
    United v Spurs - 1 point 94 mins
    United v Lyon - 1 point 87 mins
    United v Derby - 3 points 76 mins
    United v Blackburn - 1 point 88 mins

I take it your definition of "late" is "second half" then?

I take it your definition of "late" is "second half" then?

Haha.. no I did say last 25% of the match. Anyway, it was just an illustration.. Someone mentioned 15 years but I am not going to go back over all of those seasons ;)

I'd call those late or pretty late as in "a bit nervous it might not come" late.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Understatement of the year.

Pools season hinges on bringing in wingers. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jaysus that was one stressful game!! Thank god we got through. Credit to Liege though, they completely outplayed us and really did deserve to go through over the two legs.

Will keep an eye out for them in the UEFA and hope they go on to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

that was ****ing easy.

bring on the mancs in two weeks.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    that was ****ing easy.

bring on the mancs in two weeks.

Haha, I nominate this 'post of the year'. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement