Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: European Super Cup: Manchester United vs Zenit St. Petersburg

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

jaykay74 wrote: »
    What are you basing that on :confused:

Insanity:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Anybody who wants to chortle at Liverpools efforts against S. Liege had better had a look at Uniteds performance tonight.

I read more negative comments about Liverpools performance from Liverpool fans than Utd fans tbh. There was no chortling. All chortles are saved for a more worthy occasion. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Yeah, sure. There was no lunancy. Just arrogance and smarm.

Yep, scholes is know as an arrogant, smarmy son of a gun alright :rolleyes:

Was just a moment of madness, he's prone to them. Your explanation for his actions is ridiculous, I don't think he ever thought he was going to get away with it. Not all split-second decisions are the product of logical thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ah feck it . its a joke of a cup anyways. Tevez was everywhere. At least scholes gave me a laugh at the end :D

A joke of a cup for both sides, no? Nobody sends their side out to lose.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    A joke of a cup for both sides, no? Nobody sends their side out to lose.

While I agree that its a plastic cup, we should have been goin out to win it from the start, not when we;re 2 nil down being humiliated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Yep, scholes is know as an arrogant, smarmy son of a gun alright :rolleyes:

Was just a moment of madness, he's prone to them. Your explanation for his actions is ridiculous, I don't think he ever thought he was going to get away with it. Not all split-second decisions are the product of logical thoughts.

Agreed. Dont think he even celebrated the goal. Unlike John O'Shea :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Anybody who wants to chortle at Liverpools efforts against S. Liege had better had a look at Uniteds performance tonight.

Why's that? Would you rate the European Cup on the same level as the Super Cup? As has been well documented, we only started to play when we went 2-0 down. How bothered do you think they were in the end?

mike65 wrote: »
    Great stuff Utd loose and loose a player for the CL and clearly are not as strong was they should be. Chelsea to win the league and Romans millions to grab all the silverwear this season. :(

Mike

Loose? Was they should be? silverwear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭allybhoy

In work here lads and didnt get to see the game although i seen highlights online including the goals. Linky IMO Van Der Sar looked poor for both goals, the first it looked like he didnt fully stretch out his arm for the initial header and for the 2nd it seemed he was lying on the ground b4 the ball was even struck. In fairness I know he was close in but still decent keepers try and make themselves look as big as possible. I also seen a shot or two in the game were he comfortably could have caught the ball and instead opted to punch, which is ultimately how Newcastle scored on the opening day of the season. So what do utd fans think? Is it time he went or is he just going through a bad patch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

allybhoy wrote: »
    I So what do utd fans think? Is it time he went or is he just going through a bad patch?

hes been on a bad patch for 2 seasons in a row now

utd won the champions league but no thanks to vds he should have saved 2 penos

i dont mind if he retires soon

actually i hope he retires

dodgy as hell

hes a very bad kicker of the ball on the ground
    tonights game should that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

utd won the champions league but no thanks to vds

If it wasn't for Van Der Sar they wouldn't even have made the final tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Van Der Sar they wouldn't even have made the final tbh.

yep I agree

It was only the super cup agreed but United were destroyed for 20 mins in second half and Zenit were better team in first half too.
    And its never nice to lose a final, regardless of importance

Well done to Zenit. GFully deserved it over 90mins...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

have to say two things about the handball

1. It's just a step worse than most fouls it's a effort at full on cheating, which I hate, but I'm not making the accusations alot on here are, as scholes is a top player, a few stupid decisions now and then don't take away from an amazing career.

2. What a handball top marks for sticking it in the top corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes:
    hes been on a bad patch for 2 seasons in a row now

utd won the champions league but no thanks to vds he should have saved 2 penos

i dont mind if he retires soon

actually i hope he retires

dodgy as hell

hes a very bad kicker of the ball on the ground
    tonights game should that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Don't care about the value of the Supercup, it's never nice to see a performance so devoid of effort. Shocking stuff tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow its cheating. Oh gosh what will we do. Considering every single club has people who dive on a regular basis [but no wait, my diver is worse than your diver] and Messi did the same thing and few batted an eyelid. It was funny, anyone who didn't laugh at it again needs to get a sense of humour about football. Amazing finish, top corner.

Tonights game was a game where United just didn't want it enough, as the entire ITV crew pointed out. I'll live with it, but to be honest, the only thing that disappoints me is that the youngsters didn't get a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,992 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PHB wrote: »

Tonights game was a game where United just didn't want it enough, as the entire ITV crew pointed out. I'll live with it, but to be honest, the only thing that disappoints me is that the youngsters didn't get a run out.

thought that was a bit odd alright, if the senior team weren't going to take it seriously, yee would have been much better off just playing a small handful of them, like Tevez, Vidic, neville (for match practice) and filled the rest of the spots with youths. Would have been a great opportunity to play in front of a big crowd, have big game experience and show what they could do, with little/nothing at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

If the game was of such little importance why didn't he put the reserves out? Fergie wanted to win it hence why he picked a strong team. Fair play to Tevez though only one who seemed to have a bit of balls about him. I hate that though "Well its a nothing cup" A cup is a cup and you should wanna win it. You should wanna win every game otherwise you shouldn't be a footballer. Its a sham that they can walk off that pitch and pick their thousands they earn a week while United fans paid good hard earned money to go over and watch that tosh. I feel embarrased and I don't even support United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Liverpool fans coming in here to have a go about the result / Scholes should keep the powder dry for another occasion imo.

United didn't really care and Scholes' handball was little more than a moment of irrelevance at the end of a meaningless game. Good finish lad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The Scholes handball was a bit silly, that's all. Nothing more and nothing less. what was actually foolish about it is that he will have to serve a suspension, that's just plain silly.

Would I be correct in saying that (apart from Ronaldo) that's UTD's 1st team playing last night?

I also love the way some Utd fans claim that its a plastic cup after they have been played off the pitch by an average side. It mock's sense tbh. Did Fergie not say that this was a trophy he really wanted to win?

As for Nani, for all the hype surrounding the guy, he has a long long way to go before he is even close to speed. He was shocking last night, and he's had many a performance like that. Rooney was also compromised by his lack of nouse.

Tevez was fantastic, but isolated. Ye need a target man, no question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Liverpool fans coming in here to have a go about the result / Scholes should keep the powder dry for another occasion imo.

United didn't really care and Scholes' handball was little more than a moment of irrelevance at the end of a meaningless game. Good finish lad!!

Agreed. I think it's pathetic that fellow Liverpool fans come on here to slag a player like scholes off. Wouldnt say Utd didnt really care mind you. At times they where played off the pitch and got a lesson from a very very good footballing team. Some times you have to hold your hands up and admit you where second best on the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hobart wrote: »
    The Scholes handball was a bit silly, that's all. Nothing more and nothing less. what was actually foolish about it is that he will have to serve a suspension, that's just plain silly.

Would I be correct in saying that (apart from Ronaldo) that's UTD's 1st team playing last night?

I also love the way some Utd fans claim that its a plastic cup after they have been played off the pitch by an average side. It mock's sense tbh. Did Fergie not say that this was a trophy he really wanted to win?

As for Nani, for all the hype surrounding the guy, he has a long long way to go before he is even close to speed. He was shocking last night, and he's had many a performance like that. Rooney was also compromised by his lack of nouse.

First, if you look back to the start of this thread you will see the majority of Utf fans saying they don't care about this game. It's got nothing to do with us being "played off the park".

Second, That wasn't our full first team but really close. If you put in Brown, Carrick, Ronaldo, you probably get our first team. Giggs to be considered as well.

Third, it was a crap performance. We haven't had a great one yet this season so I don't why anybody would have expected one last night. People might be under estimating Zenit but we won't really know the answer to that until the CL starts up. The two dissappointments for me las night, were none of the younger players were given a chance, and no Hargreaves.

That was Nanis first game of the season so I am willing to give him a break for now. As for Rooney well all I can say is I hope he scores for England if he plays otherwise the pressure and spotlight on hisscoring record is going to get worse and I think he is letting it get into his head a little.

Tevez well he has been superb in every game this year but still no goals yet all the critics are taking aim at Rooney.

I also love the way some Utd fans claim that its a plastic cup after they have been played off the pitch by an average side.

I'm happy to be played off the park in August. No one will remember this game in May no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Thought ZSP showed amazing talent using the ball. This may be down to utd playing so poorly because in last 20 mins of the game Utd stepped it up a notch and looked the better team. ZSP are no Standard Leige so I won't even comment on that. Tevez was great. He showed up his team mates with his desire to win the ball regardless how pointless it appeared. I remember him being tackled, ending up on the ground and looking for the free but once he saw it wasn't being given he was up in a flash, fought for the ball and won it back as quickly as he'd lost it. You'd think that'd have inspired his team to put in the same effort.
    As for scholes!! Moment of madness, frustration, etc.... Was shocked when he did it. Looking at his face he knew damn well he was never getting away with it. Maybe he wanted to have an early shower?
    First game for Nani so wouldn't read too much into it but he does merit the stereotype of taking a crazy amount of shots which don't threaten the goal.......................at all.
    I wouldn't be comfortable with VDS in goals if I were a UTD fan. He's an amazing shot stopper and I've seen him make excellent saves but it looks like he's starting to act nervously when it comes to the simple things, i.e Punching the ball as opposed to catching it and kicking back-passes up the field which aren't as high/far/acurate as you'd expect.
    Goodbye Neville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I also love the way some Utd fans claim that its a plastic cup after they have been played off the pitch by an average side.

I didn't see what was so average about Zenit, they played decent some decent football and they have more than a few quality players.

I'm not saying that united played well, they were really off the boil, but they were clearly playing against a side that wanted to win it more, and whose season was in full swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No. Anderson is 4th choice central midfielder. Nani isn't first choice winger, Giggs is [in Fergie's mind]
    Brown is first choice ahead of Neville.

p.s. Neville was really disappointing I thought.

Fergie might have wanted it, but most of the United fans on this thread which you can see if you go back 3-4 pages didn't care. It is the European charity shield after all.
    It was clear though, if you watched the match, the United players didn't care as much as they should.
    As for Nani, for all the hype surrounding the guy, he has a long long way to go before he is even close to speed. He was shocking last night, and he's had many a performance like that.

Indeed. Which is why I'm of the opinion that Nani isn't good enough yet to be our 2nd best winger. Park is still better than him imo. Ideally I would have wanted another winger, but you cant win everything.
    Rooney was also compromised by his lack of nouse.

Looked to me like Rooney didnt' have a ****ing clue what he was meant to be doing or where he was meant to be staying. Up front alone only works for Rooney if he has loads of runners with him. We didn't have that last night.

We need a target man for games like that, where our free flowing football doesn't click.

---

As a side note, I must say, I was pretty impressed with Zenit. However I do think they'd struggle more breaking down a more organised defence in the CL. [All of their attacking threat in the first half came from Nani not tracking back, like directly] Can't see them getting out of the group stages, but by god I hope they do (at the expense of Madrid) cause I like how they play. One-twos, quick tempo, pace and dribbling.

I also love the way some Utd fans claim that its a plastic cup after they have been played off the pitch by an average side

Nothing average at all about that Zenit team mate. They murdered Bayern en route to winning the UEFA Cup last year and I wont be at all suprised to see them go very far in the CL this year.

Perspective please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Was at the game last night supporting Zenit (Im a big supporter of them, long story), havent had a chance to read through this thread yet.

Does anyone know if the game is repoeated anywhere? Would like to watch it again on TV, checvked the ManU channel but they're not showing it...

EDIT* Just had a read over the thread there, the lack of repsect for Zenit is shocking. lads I really dont think yis understand how good a team they really are. They ran riot in the UEFA cup last year, won the Russian League and beat united tonight - what more do you expect from them?

I can see them doing well in the Champions Lge this year and I hope thay will make people see what a good team they are and what good football they can play....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

They are currently 6th in a fairly poor Russian league. They were beaten by The Toffees in the UEFA cup last season, were held to draws by the mighty AZ from Holland and Nuermberg from Germany. The Bayern result is no bigge, as Stoke would probably have beaten Bayern last year.

They are an average club, they won't make the knockout stages of the CL this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

United were very poor. Maybe Fergie wanted this trophy but I seriously got the feeling some players hearts werent in it. Anderson and Fletcher just werent at the races. Rooney and Nani very poor too.
    They are an average club, they won't make the knockout stages of the CL this year.

Average club that won the Uefa cup, have in some peoples opinion the best player in the European Championship in the summer(Arshavin) and just spent 30m on Danny. Very average :rolleyes:

They are no worldclass team but an average club, cop the hell on will ya

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Trilla wrote: »
    Average club that won the Uefa cup, have in some peoples opinion the best player in the European Championship in the summer(Arshavin) and just spent 30m on Danny. Very average :rolleyes:

They are no worldclass team but an average club, cop the hell on will ya

Stop talking sense would ya, its conflicting with Hobarts anti-United agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hobart, you didn't listen to me. :(

Advertisement