Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS Upgrade Service

Options
  • 19-08-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of building a new PC and I have a Gigabyte Z87-HD3 motherboard that I want to use an Intel core i7 4790K on.

The motherboard comes with bios version F6 which does not support Haswell Refresh CPUs (4790K is one of them).

Apparently I need access to a Haswell CPU (one from this list http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4489 that's compatible with BIOS F6) in order to upgrade my BIOS first.

Is there anywhere in Dublin that can provide this service?

Alternatively, if anyone in private capacity has a Haswell CPU and is willing to do it I'll be happy to compensate you reasonably for the time and effort, just PM me!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

In case anyone comes across this in future: I ended up sending my motherboard back to Amazon and ordering the same one from scan.co.uk as they have a BIOS flashing service (£10 cost extra - better than €55 I was being quoted by Irish shops!).

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

You could also buy something like a celeron g1820 for about 30 quid and sell it on after on ebay once you have it flashed... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Or keep it as a spare. Very handy having spare bits you can swap out if the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

You could just download the latest BIOS, make a bootable USB drive from it and update it that way surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You could just download the latest BIOS, make a bootable USB drive from it and update it that way surely?

You need a cpu compatible with the old bios in the board to do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

To be fair, some boards (I think ASUS only, though I could be wrong) can have their BIOS flashed without a CPU installed, but it's rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Serephucus wrote: »
    To be fair, some boards (I think ASUS only, though I could be wrong) can have their BIOS flashed without a CPU installed, but it's rare.
    The standard ASUS boards still need to be flashed with a 4th gen CPU. Not sure about the ROG brand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Unre4L

Im currently in the same situation, but my Mobo is old. Cant use my g3258 CPU due to old Bios. Not sure how to go about this. If anyone in Dublin cc can help, I would appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2nd hand CPU from ebay, adverts, or the like. Won't cost much and as stated previously it's always handy to have a spare CPU - or if not, buy one cheap 2nd hand, and at worst you'll lose €5 euro when re-selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I dont need to name the poster , but theres a poster whos posted more than once a cpu and motherboard that wont run without a bios update on the motherboard just because they like the price on hardwareversande and think there an expert builder !! and give good build advise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

levitronix wrote: »
    I dont need to name the poster , but theres a poster whos posted more than once a cpu and motherboard that wont run without a bios update on the motherboard just because they like the price on hardwareversande and think there an expert builder !! and give good build advise

That's hardly me with my ASRock Pro4 is it? :pac:

Easy mistake to make. I've done it before more than once. luckily I have a decent stock of spare CPU's, but it's incredibly frustrating all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's not an obvious issue for your average Joe, truth be told this thread enlightened me to it a few minutes ago

Not until they get their new build and they're greeted with a blank screen-all fans spinning startup! :D

To be fair we all need to pay attention to this, not just any one person. It's easy as someone who is very well used to building machines for years to have oversights like that. I wouldn't be so opinionated to call myself an expert builder, but I can admit that I do make mistakes like what has been highlighted - even when I'm building for myself.

Even if I neither use nor recommend HWV :D

well its a pain when you have to pull one machine apart bring it to work and bench the motherboard with a spare cpu :mad:

most kids here that get into gaming pcs dont know this or have access, im a nob when it come to this stuff but i figure it out plus where i work is a huge advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

levitronix wrote: »
    well its a pain when you have to pull one machine apart bring it to work and bench the motherboard with a spare cpu :mad:

most kids here that get into gaming pcs dont know this or have access, im a nob when it come to this stuff but i figure it out plus where i work is a huge advantage

Dont be too hard on yourself!

Yeah, was speccing out a budget concience low-mid range gaming build for my nephew (he was getting it for for christmas), wasnt long after the G3258 was launched and was going cheapo on the motherboard as well. Realised there was no way to tell if the instock H81 motherboards had updated bios.

Contacted Hardwareversand to query, they had no way telling the difference between new updated stock and existing stock on the old bios. And wouldnt guarantee it to work.

surprised since they build pcs for you, that you couldnt get them to update for you for a small fee , but newer board might of come to same price

Advertisement