Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain name expiration

Options
  • 12-08-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

First of all I hope this query is in the right place - I had a quick search but couldn't find any similar queries.

In 2007 I availed of an offer which Digiweb ran whereby they gave free domain name registration and one year free hosting to third level students. I literally just registered a domain name and let it sit there. I never set-up a website or anything or renewed the domain name/hosting package after the offer period. The college email address associated with the account I had with Digiweb is long gone.

I now want to use the domain name if possible and am looking for some information/advice before contacting Digiweb. I checked the WHOIS registration for the website at it gives me the following information:

Registrar: TucowsDomains.com
    Reseller: Digiweb.ie
    Updated: April 2014
    Expires: April 2015
    Admin Name: Digiweb Employee

Should it be possible to regain 'control' of the domain? Will it cost me a fortune since I registered it 8 years ago and have never paid for hosting etc?

Any comments/advice which might help me when I approach Digiweb would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tequila Mockingbird

I just spotted this in the WHOIS information also:

Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited

Doesn't fill me with much hope! The first result for clientUpdateProhibited brings me to TucosDomains.com (registrar above) and says:

"If you have chosen to lock your domain name to prevent unwanted transfers and name server changes, the domain status will show as REGISTRAR-LOCK or “CLIENT UPDATE/TRANSFER PROHIBITED”.

A REGISTRAR-HOLD or “CLIENT HOLD” is normally applied to your domain name when it expires.

The main difference between the two is that REGISTRAR-HOLD or “CLIENT HOLD” will prevent the domain name from working.

To enable or disable locking please contact your Domain Provider directly."

I guess I need to talk to Digiweb but any advice/comments would be great.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you registered the domain it is in your name, I would imagine that is still the case even if it was "free" to begin with. The thing is most providers will probably have clauses that if you don't renew after a certain amount of time you forfeit the domain over to them, clientTransferProhibited/clientUpdateProhibited simply means a request to change domain hosting provider has not been made. You will have to contact the hosting provider you initially registered it with to get it unlocked (please note there is no hosting provider discussion allowed here, so no more mention of hosting providers please).
    I would contact your hosting provider and ask them about renewing or transfering the domain. It is possible to have a domain hosted with a different provider to where your website is hosted also. You will just have to point the domains nameservers to the web host, your web host can assist you with this if needed

Nick

Advertisement