Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and Summer Work

Options
  • 09-08-2014 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hey guys I was wondering what is the story with BTEA when going back to college in September. I received BTEA in year 1 with a means reduced payment because im working part-time currently.

I heard BTEA is calculated by your last 8 payments(i.e 8 weeks) prior to returning to college. If this is true it puts me at a serious disadvantage as August is a very busy month at my workplace so I have lots of hours/days working, whereas the rest of the year its quiet, not really sure what to do?

Any advice would be very helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

well are you going into 2nd year of the same course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

liam650 wrote: »
    well are you going into 2nd year of the same course?

Yes I am, I'm concerned that I wont get any payment going back which would really make me consider dropping out as I need BTEA to pay for fees.

if its the same course then you are not re applying for the btea, im in the same position going into 2nd year and they told me just to send in the registration letter from college and payment will be reinstated, tho i have been hearing these rumors going around about a lot of changes to btea but it says nothing on the welfare.ie page about it, it just seems to be a gamble at the moment with it, how did you get a reduced rate to begin with tho can i ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭donnyb28

liam650 wrote: »
    if its the same course then you are not re applying for the btea, im in the same position going into 2nd year and they told me just to send in the registration letter from college and payment will be reinstated, tho i have been hearing these rumors going around about a lot of changes to btea but it says nothing on the welfare.ie page about it, it just seems to be a gamble at the moment with it, how did you get a reduced rate to begin with tho can i ask?

If nothing changes in terms of payment then im covered and its fine. I received a reduced rate due to working part-time. I will call the BTEA centre in Carrick on Shannon tomorrow and get a definitive answer and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

I thought you can work 20 hours a week part time without affecting btea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Strstu

"If a BTEA recipient ceases employment while in receipt of the allowance, the rate of BTEA should be reviewed favourable provided we have documentary proof of cessation of work. Similarly, if a person's work pattern changes while in receipt of the allowance their case should also be reviewed, taking into account their new work pattern.

It should be noted that BTEA participants may commence part-time employment without affecting their rate of BTEA payment but only after commencing BTEA, provided the work does not interfere with college attendance. If there is a change in means circumstances during the academic year, other than commencement of part-time work by the BTEA recipient as outlined above, then a revised decision may be applied."

This is what it says officially on welfare.ie, I'm trying to figure out something similar as I'm going into third year this year and have been working part-time throughout the summer and will be continuing on with the same job indefinitely as it fits nicely around college.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

Strstu, if you qualified for BTEA before Jan 2013 then any new rules do not apply to you. You remain on your rate.

New applicants are subject to means testing.

I qualified for my payment Aug/Sept 2013 and am in total limbo. I was on JA before which qualified me for BTEA. I took a job for the summer after first year as allowed by guidelines. I was assured this wouldn't affect returning to my rate. I am also allowed to work part time without affecting my rate. but they are now saying that since my summer work and my part time work are with the same employer that I am subject to means testing.

Everything on welfare.ie contradicts what they are telling me.

Greenacres wrote: »
    Strstu, if you qualified for BTEA before Jan 2013 then any new rules do not apply to you. You remain on your rate.

New applicants are subject to means testing.

I qualified for my payment Aug/Sept 2013 and am in total limbo. I was on JA before which qualified me for BTEA. I took a job for the summer after first year as allowed by guidelines. I was assured this wouldn't affect returning to my rate. I am also allowed to work part time without affecting my rate. but they are now saying that since my summer work and my part time work are with the same employer that I am subject to means testing.

Everything on welfare.ie contradicts what they are telling me.

the system is a joke, to stay on btea you have to quit work and sit at home all day on dole during summer plus quit any job had during college year

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Greenacres

yes foolish me decided to work. Lesson learned! It will get to a point that working will not be worth it. Looking forward to a summer of leisure in 2015 if that is the case! Won't make that mistake again.

Advertisement