Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    I don't have a decent laptop, I just have a crappy work one which can do f**k all.

Have you tried it, you might be surprised at the quality is can output.

I had an old laptop from 2006 with a busted screen. I turned it into a HTPC running Vista and XBMC on a 42'' sony bravia. Got myself a remote with a mouse pad thing on it and it works great. I use it to run NFL Gamepass/NBAtv/MLBtv and they all run smooth with great quality picture.
    Phoole wrote: »
    Can you PM me which VPN service you use? Do you know of a free one?!

BlackVPN is what I use. I don't know about any free ones as I've never tried them. I doubt there would be one fast enough to run gamepass, but maybe someone else here knows one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    First year user of Gamepass here. I know there's the condensed game option but is there a highlights option of the games?

Basically tomorrow morning when I get up I wouldn't mind watching a 5 minute or so highlight reel of the scoring plays, turnovers and other key plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Phoole wrote: »
    This is what I did. Invest €400 on a bog standard dell desktop (with a HD output) and connect it to your tv via HMDI. HD NFL streaming straight to your living room!! My dell 620mt is stashed away in my cupboard in my living room with all my movies and other media onboard! And with an internet connection I can stream anything I want to. The best purchase I ever made.

Certainly worth looking into alright. Just out of interest, do any of you guys have the fluctuations in stream quality during games? Because my stream quality fluctuates with me all the time and I rarely get HD quality.

Surely your laptop has a DVI output? You can just connect DVI to HDMI.

As I've said, it's a piece of shít work laptop on it's last legs. Which never really bothered me, since I nearly always use my Desktop for work stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I had an old laptop from 2006 with a busted screen. I turned it into a HTPC running Vista and XBMC on a 42'' sony bravia. Got myself a remote with a mouse pad thing on it and it works great. I use it to run NFL Gamepass/NBAtv/MLBtv and they all run smooth with great quality picture.

I haven't even turned on my work laptop in about 4-5 months, the screen alone appears to be of the verge of crashing. Unfortunately, I refused a new laptop last year and told my boss to save his money because I hate them. Of course this was well before I signed up for Gamepass and now need one :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Certainly worth looking into alright. Just out of interest, do any of you guys have the fluctuations in stream quality during games? Because my stream quality fluctuates with me all the time and I rarely get HD quality.

Sometimes the stream drops a little but its quite rare for me. I'm with UPC which is 25mb I think. The great thing about NFL game pass is that you can set the quality yourself. This year has gone up to 4500kbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless
    First year user of Gamepass here. I know there's the condensed game option but is there a highlights option of the games?

Basically tomorrow morning when I get up I wouldn't mind watching a 5 minute or so highlight reel of the scoring plays, turnovers and other key plays.

NFL Network, thats all they'll be showing, all day, every 15 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Gonna post this here in case any of you guys can help!

Just got a new Nexus 7 tablet, one of the main things i use laptop/mobile phone for is watching Gamepass. Also use Flash sport streams to watch football online..
    This uses Flash. When i log in on the Nexus 7 and try to watch a game i am redirected to an Adobe Flash page telling me to upgrade to version 10.2, but (being a new android device i guess) there is a message along the top saying this is incompatible with the newer Androids..

I have installed Firefox Beta on the Nexus 7, also Boat Browser, but each time i go into the NFL website and try to watch a game (with either of those browsers) i get the same message- download Adobe Flash Player 10.2 (which can't seem to be done!). I'm not overly keen on rooting the phone (a bit clueless) but others seem to be saying on here they have streamed games that use Flash without rooting.

Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks

EDIT: think i have it working now, phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    Hi,

I was just wondering if there will be a post season package separetly, and if so will it be a 24 hour black out on games for people in the Republic of Ireland?

Regards,
    [FONT=Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Greetings -

Specifics on blackouts and new features for fans in the UK and Republic of Ireland are still being finalized. Continue to check the site and the FAQs for the latest information. Updates are coming soon.

Please let us know if you require additional assistance.

Regards,

NFL Game Pass Suppor
    [/FONT]

With 12 hours to go till kick off :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

With 12 hours to go till kick off :confused:

Jesus, they really are pushing the limits here. I guess once tonights game is over then its still 4 days from full ko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

http://www1.skysports.com/american-football/news/12118/8051071/NFL-on-Sky-Sports

Confirmed games to be shown so far are:

Week 1
    Wed 5 Sep Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants Midnight Sky Sports 1HD
    Sun 9 Sep Indianapolis Colts at Chicago Bears 5.30pm Sky Sports 2HD
    Sun 9 San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers 9.15pm Sky Sports 2HD

Week 2
    Thur 13 Sep Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers 1.00am Sky Sports 1HD
    Sun 16 Sep New Orleans Saints at Carolina Panthers 5.30pm Sky Sports 3HD
    Sun 16 Sep Washington Redskins at St Louis Rams 9.15pm Sky Sports 3HD

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Does anyone know what would happen if I used a VPN to purchase a gamepass at the far cheaper US rate of $39.99 for the season, and then were to log on as normal for games? Would it work?

I've gotten as far as the purchase page, where I don't even have to enter my details because I can pay by paypal. I can't really think of any reason why it wouldn't work...?

edit: FFS, I went ahead and accidentally purchased a subscription! Stupid paypal said I would "confirm" the order on the "next page", but it just went ahead and charged me... Oh well, time to turn off the VPN and see if it works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Does anyone know what would happen if I used a VPN to purchase a gamepass at the far cheaper US rate of $39.99 for the season, and then were to log on as normal for games? Would it work?

I've gotten as far as the purchase page, where I don't even have to enter my details because I can pay by paypal. I can't really think of any reason why it wouldn't work...?

it checks the coutry of your card and charges you the appropriate price, so you wont get the cheaper rate based on your IP address.

But someone said that gamepass was free in Nederlands for some reason, so maybe try that but I cant imagine it will be free all season.

adrian522 wrote: »
    it checks the coutry of your card and charges you the appropriate price, so you wont get the cheaper rate based on your IP address.

But someone said that gamepass was free in Nederlands for some reason, so maybe try that but I cant imagine it will be free all season.
    It only charged me $39.99 (€32.75) for the season, but it won't work unless I have the VPN switched on.

Assuming the VPN is fast enough for live streaming, it's not bad compared to paying the Irish rate of €130. But I'm dubious about whether the VPN would hold up, I definitely don't think I'd be streaming anything in HD.

edit: The again, I'm streaming now and it's at 3000kbps so can't complain too much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

I thought you couldn't get Gamepass in the US, only NFL Rewind which doesn't show any live games. Rewind is $39.99 for the season, maybe thats what you've bought.

aCA wrote: »
    I thought you couldn't get Gamepass in the US, only NFL Rewind which doesn't show any live games. Rewind is $39.99 for the season, maybe thats what you've bought.
    Actually, yeah, that does seem to be the case alright. Didn't cop that, it still comes up as Gamepass so it's a little misleading. I'm not too bothered about that though, I wouldn't be watching many live games anyway. This will be my first season of watching the NFL, so I simply wouldn't be willing to fork out 130 quid for the gamepass, 30 quid to watch archived games is a good compromise imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

Ya, that's good value for €30 alright. Its not exactly hard in Ireland to avoid seeing the final scores until you get a chance to watch the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams
    Where can I sign up to get the aerial shots of the stadiums?

The ones the Sky coverage has in the background, it's class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

First experience of Gamepass, not bad, though not sure my internet connection is fast enough to get good quality picture. It's only clear about 50% of the time. Still, probably worth it, especially if, as has been mentioned, we get RedZone on Sunday.

Anyone know how many Gbs of data streaming an NFL game uses up on average? I have a 20Gb a month data limit with Meteor, might need to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just a tip for those with Game Pass - make sure you untick the ''best available'' box as if you don't it will keep changing to different bitrates of streams which is annoying. Even if you just leave it on 1600kbs which is at the lower end of the scale the stream is absolutely brilliant.

aCA wrote: »
    Ya, that's good value for €30 alright. Its not exactly hard in Ireland to avoid seeing the final scores until you get a chance to watch the games.
    I didn't think I'd have any problems with finding out scores tbh, that is until this morning when Radio1 gave away the result of last night's game. WTF!?! Since when does Radio 1 broadcast NFL scores ffs!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Watched Cowboys-Giants on condensed-view this morning. I notice they've made an improvement from last year in that they now include replays of touchdowns and big plays. These weren't there last year, you only had once chance to see the touchdown, the live view, which was a bit frustrating, as you always like to see at least one replay of a touchdown or a big play. I was a fan of condensed-view anyway, but this makes it even better.

fisgon wrote: »
    Anyone know how many Gbs of data streaming an NFL game uses up on average? I have a 20Gb a month data limit with Meteor, might need to upgrade.

Using the medium-rate of 1600kbps...
    1600kbps = 200k/s = 700MB/hour

So you're looking at 2GB for a 3-hour game (or 1GB for 800kbps).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

How long did it take to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

condensed version? 30mins

I noticed those changes (replays added to condensed mode) myself watching the game at lunch today, makes it a much better experience. Hope it's the new standard for the season going forward.

About half-an-hour. If I could've watched it live I would've, but great for catching up on games you weren't able to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

padraig_f wrote: »
    Using the medium-rate of 1600kbps...
    1600kbps = 200k/s = 700MB/hour

So you're looking at 2GB for a 3-hour game (or 1GB for 800kbps).

Ouch. Definitely looks like I'm gonna need a higher data limit.

BTW, and slightly off topic but, Michelle Tafoya, total MILF. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

My first time with Gamepass and I must add my praise for the condensed game option. It was great to be able to watch the game in.about half an hour this morning before work.

I like my sleep so the only night game I stay up for is the Superbowl so it's going to be great to be able to catch up on the Thursday/Sunday/Monday night games like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I'd like to echo the comments on gamepass by saying the condensed game option is the job.Watched half the game on my galaxy s3 which streamed without a bother(UPC internet).Watched the second half this morning then on the condensed version.Very very handy.Well worth getting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Anyone know when Coaches Cam will be available on Gamepass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Watched the condensed game for the first time.... wow every play bang bang bang. A couple more replays of plays would be good especially on catches that are hard to spot on first showing. Other than that great way to catch a game you are interested in but don't have 3 hrs for. I'll be taking in the other AFC West team's games this way starting with Atlanta KC.

Advertisement