Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any1 dissapointed about SKY?

Options
  • 09-10-2003 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Sky don't let us have channel4 or UTV, yet we put up with their ridicolus billing prics! I'm really dissapointed cs I can't get UTV or C4 where I live through my areial. Does ne1 have a solution?

Sky Dissapointed or Glad 17 votes

Sky Digital is the best
    0% 0 votes
    It could be better, but I like
    35% 6 votes
    THere's a lot of improvement to be made, but I might just stay with them for a little while more.
    35% 6 votes
    SKY is the Worst!
    29% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The only solution is to get a UK subscription. To do this you need a willing relative to do this for you.

Check out ICDG Satellite as it's well discussed there.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i get ITV and Channel 4 on the aerial so it's not the end of the world but it would be nice to see a perfect picture (almost anyway) on satellite and it would sell more subs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I've just got it installed in my house, i live to far away for NTL to connect me so i don't have much choice!:f33r:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

SKY Digital kicks a*s.

I have SKY+, so it's even better.

Every 6 months, UK residents get sent a new viewing card. That means their old one gets cancelled - but you can still get all the free-to-air channels like C4 & UTV with it.
    I got my mate to send me his old card, and it works great.
    NTL are total retards, so I'm glad I don't have anything to do with them.

By the way, you can tune in BBC3, BBC4, BBC News and some Chechz channel.

Go to Add channels, and enter the following frequencys:

10.773 H 22000 5/6
    BBC1 London
    BBC2 England
    BBC News 24
    BBC Three
    BBC Four

12.607 H 27500 3/4
    CT 2
    Stanice O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by herbie747
    12.607 H 27500 3/4
    CT 2
    Stanice O

not everyone can get a signal for this. Stanice O isn't too bad a music channel and some Digiboxes cant get sound on it

• Advertisement

I have SKY+, so it's even better.

Sky plus is just sheer brilliant and i've only had it a week-the live pausing is brilliant :)

In Reply to Rip_curl:
    Regarding ITV and CH4, there are solutions as alluded to already, just nip over to the ICDG satelite board and have a gander.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Every 6 months, UK residents get sent a new viewing card.
    No they don't.

So far it's been every three or four years.

In other words, the viewing cards have only been changed once. It was different on Sky analogue.

Well, my mate gets sent a new one every 6 months. He gave me his old one 2 months ago.
    Thats what he told me 6 months ago, and I waited 4 months and - voila: new card arrives to him, which he sent to me!!

My card (ROI) has only ever been changed once (from the light blue to dark blue card), and I've had SKY Digital for over 3 years.

Maybe he's special!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

hi,

my 2 cents worth.sky digi is great for about the first 3 to 6 months.great stuff on and if you miss something it will be on again.problem is after that its repeat city. 30 new films a month they say...mostly made for tv crap.i had my sub turned off over 18 months ago and got a ftv card.every so often i look at the movie listings and its "oh look seen that 1 , that 1 ...."

jack.

Who cares about the SKY movies? They're all crap anyway, and only make up a tiny part of the viewing. (unless you're actually into Disney type true story bullsh*t). Why didn't you just cancel the movie channels from your sub?
    SKY Digital rules - of course there will be some spas who are never happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I agree with Sceptre that UK sub cards have only been changed once since Sky Digital launched, roughly around the same time the Irish cards were changed. Your friend is an exception to the rule, it would seem.

Sky Movies is indeed crap but I usually subscribe to it during the long December and January months! Dunno if I'll bother this year though, my money would probably be better spent on decent DVD's, most importantly, the Extended Edition of The Two Towers! ;)

He does work in SKY's buildings on Wilton Road, London. Maybe he has some kind of staff sub. He doesn't actually work for SKY, but his company is in the same building, and they do a lot of channel management for SKY.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I agree with jackbauer - Sky sucks arse.

It's also evil :ninja:. Rupert Murdock doesn't need any more of my money and I don't want any more of his mind numbing 'empire'.

FTV all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

i'm not going to get into a "yes it is no it isnt" game but yes i did cancel the movie chans first for 3 months.i watched history chans , discovery , bravo etc etc all repeats after 3 to 6 months. as far as i'm concerned the deciding factor is this : a program which lasts 40 to 45 mins on a fta chan such as bbc2 lasts an hour or more on sky which costs a premium.episodes of st:voyager are a classic example. call me a spa if u like but i take offense to paying top dollar for 20 mins of adds out of every hour. i'll probably now be told to got to the movie chans as they have no adds....QED.

jack

That's how the channels make their money - spot advertising. The ITC only allows 9 mins per hour, so the rest is usually self promotion. It's not the channel's fault that SKY are charging you top dollar. SKY Digital is the only medium for most of these channels to get distributed into homes.

The channels also have to pay SKY for an EPG listing if they want to be included in the programme guide - which is optional.

So, what do you suggest? I agree that it would be nice to receive all the channels for free, but who is going to foot the bill?

You can still receive all the FTA channels for nothing, and if you want more, you'll just have to pay SKY. I'm not too happy having to pay €60pm, but it's the only option out there; NTL are retarded, and their service is pathetic - and it should be called "NTL analog with crap menu and clicky cheap remote control & non-existant customer service - and that's if we even turn up for the installation".

Advertisement