Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might not be able to afford all the expenses

Options
  • 20-08-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was offered a place at DCU for Accounting and Finance but I'm quite worried about fees and cost of transport etc. I have applied for a SUSI grant but I am not eligible as my dad earns above the limit, the only problem is that they don't take into account any loans etc. And we have a lot of them so we are finding it hard to cover the costs. Any advice on what I can/should do will be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DonnaMarieAva

Hi. There are some charities you could turn to. St. Vincent de Paul is brilliant. My cousin was in a similar situation and SVP paid some of her costs. SVP get a certain amount of money from the government especially for education. It might be worth your time getting in contact with your local representative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

The student assistance fund in my college does actually help a lot of people when they cant afford things. Keep receipts and talk to the person who deals with it asap. You could probably even do so now before you start.

A lot of people in my year also do part-time work or work during the holidays or summers. Perhaps that is an option? Go to college. Make it happen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

And yes, SVP!!

Advertisement