Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Progressing from level 7 to 8

Options
  • 13-08-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I just got my leaving cert results yesterday and I was pretty unhappy at the fact I got 5 points less than a course I really want. I should have enough hopefully for the level 7 of the same course but I've been stressing out at whether or not it would be very difficult to progress from the level 7 to 8 considering the limited numbers allowed. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this or any advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭theGavin

What's the course? Computing?

In my experience (Computer Science) the first three years are for the level 7. You go to the same classes as the level 8's and do the exact same exams. Only difference is that when you finish your third year you get your ordinary degree. Now, when you get this you can finish college or apply to take part in the final year, to receive your honours degree. You will get a spot if you passed and if there's space.

BUT. Due to the sheer number of people who drop out within the FIRST year you should be absolutely fine with progressing to the final year without having to worry about spaces.

Congratulations on your results by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 otter13

theGavin wrote: »
    What's the course? Computing?

In my experience (Computer Science) the first three years are for the level 7. You go to the same classes as the level 8's and do the exact same exams. Only difference is that when you finish your third year you get your ordinary degree. Now, when you get this you can finish college or apply to take part in the final year, to receive your honours degree. You will get a spot if you passed and if there's space.

BUT. Due to the sheer number of people who drop out within the FIRST year you should be absolutely fine with progressing to the final year without having to worry about spaces.

Congratulations on your results by the way.

Sports Science and Health, thanks for the helpful reply will definitely take the level 7 over other level 8s I have down as this is the course I've wanted for the last 3 years. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

otter13 wrote: »
    Sports Science and Health, thanks for the helpful reply will definitely take the level 7 over other level 8s I have down as this is the course I've wanted for the last 3 years. Thanks!

AS long as your GPA in the final year is above 2.2 you will have no problem getting into the 4th year for the Level 8

Advertisement