Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from and Institute of Technology to a University/College

Options
  • 26-11-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm in the process of trying to transfer colleges when I go into 2nd year. I was wondering if it's harder to get into a university/college from an institute of technology through the advance entry route? My application from ITT to DIT looks unlikely and I was wondering if I should even bother at all trying to transfer into a university? Again, all advice and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

Its definitely doable, but you might have to transfer back a year. After finishing 3 years in ITT I applied for advanced entry to TCD but the best I was offered was entry to 2nd year, so I'd have had to do 2nd and 3rd year again. The same was the case for a friend who went to DIT, although the courses we were offered were quite different to what we had done in ITT.

I didn't think it was worth it so I kept moving forward and I'm on a masters in a University now, my mate bailed to DIT and still isn't finished his undergraduate. Out of interest why are you trying to transfer? & in case you didn't know DIT and ITT are in the process of merging anyway so the transfer shouldn't be too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ndunnex

QuantumP wrote: »
    Its definitely doable, but you might have to transfer back a year. After finishing 3 years in ITT I applied for advanced entry to TCD but the best I was offered was entry to 2nd year, so I'd have had to do 2nd and 3rd year again. The same was the case for a friend who went to DIT, although the courses we were offered were quite different to what we had done in ITT.

I didn't think it was worth it so I kept moving forward and I'm on a masters in a University now, my mate bailed to DIT and still isn't finished his undergraduate. Out of interest why are you trying to transfer? & in case you didn't know DIT and ITT are in the process of merging anyway so the transfer shouldn't be too much trouble.

Thanks for your reply. It takes me an hour and half to two hours to get there, the commute is really really dragging me down and ITT wasn't a top choice for me. I'm not trying to put the college down but getting two buses out and back everyday is making me so unbelievably isolated. I've good people on my course and I do enjoy the lectures but I want to move anyway. I'm doing Social Care, DIT responded to my application saying no that I would have needed to have done a work placement in first year which we don't do till second year in ITT. The head of the department of humanities said she would try and organise for me to do it on my own in Easter. But it's 30 days and even though her effort now is really great, I honestly can't see it happening. I've also inquired to UCD for social science but it seems quite scary for transfer and I'm not sure. I've completely left out TCD because I feel that it would be quite intimidating. I also inquired to DCU and they said I would eligible for transfer to a course I had down on my CAO for a BA in Contemporary Culture and Society. I'm all over the place to be honest. I really want to move but scared it might jeopardise my studies/course enjoyment. Sorry for the long winded answer. Appreciate the response though.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

I completely emphathise with you. Its not a nice feeling being uncertain about your course and what to do with your studies, especially when so much is out of your control, so don't be afraid of being afraid! As for the travel, I've been through the pain of a 90 min-ish bus and luas commute, its an absolute nightmare.

If you really want to move then do, you're only in 1st year and a 4 year course is a big commitment especially if you're not happy there. I guess the important thing is to make sure you keep working hard where you are now and if your offered a place somewhere else that feels right for you - then go for it. Everyone on a course eventually become friends anyway so don't worry about that aspect of it all.

Wishing you the best! - P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ndunnex

QuantumP wrote: »
    I completely emphathise with you. Its not a nice feeling being uncertain about your course and what to do with your studies, especially when so much is out of your control, so don't be afraid of being afraid! As for the travel, I've been through the pain of a 90 min-ish bus and luas commute, its an absolute nightmare.

If you really want to move then do, you're only in 1st year and a 4 year course is a big commitment especially if you're not happy there. I guess the important thing is to make sure you keep working hard where you are now and if your offered a place somewhere else that feels right for you - then go for it. Everyone on a course eventually become friends anyway so don't worry about that aspect of it all.

Wishing you the best! - P :)

I'm keeping on top of all my assignments, and plan to get my 60 credits at the end of the year. Hopefully then I can transfer. Thank you so much for the wonderful response. It's nice to know others can give good advice.
    Thanks again
    - Niamh

Advertisement