Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

amiable wrote: »
    I sincerely hope we dont sign players solely based on their Euro 2012 performances.
    G.K. wrote: »
    Agreed, it's easy to look good over 3/4 games but in reality be playing out of your skin because it's your country at a major final. imo, the Euros is a useful thing for selecting potential targets, but they must then be scouted and evaluated over at the very least, half a season, before any offer is made for their services.

Yeah, definitely shouldn't be buying anyone on Euro performances alone. I think Outkasts point was that we wouldn't have been able to sign any players who were playing in it up till now, so anyone we had previously scouted would have been tied up. A possible, and optimistic, reason for our inactivity thus far.

I'd like our deals tied up within the next 2 weeks or so, to give Rodgers a month of working solidly with his squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The genii at the Daily Mail say Luis Suarez has yet to sign a new contract.
    Would this be the same player that signed for Liverpool only 18 months ago for a fee over 20 million?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely shouldn't be buying anyone on Euro performances alone. I think Outkasts point was that we wouldn't have been able to sign any players who were playing in it up till now, so anyone we had previously scouted would have been tied up. A possible, and optimistic, reason for our inactivity thus far.

I'd like our deals tied up within the next 2 weeks or so, to give Rodgers a month of working solidly with his squad.

That's very optimistic though.
    I'd say Liverpool will be working on deals right through the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lets buy dzagoev!!!!

Should have had 20 goals at the Euros. Wouldn't finish his dinner tbh.

Have you got the right lad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

lets buy dzagoev!!!!

So he's a perfect fit for us DUH!!

Have you got the right lad?

Yes, he could have made me 3k if he was able to finish his dinner. I was watching him only everytime Russia played. Did well in the first match but wouldn't finish his dinner after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The bloke who started that rumour has since admitted he was doing it to prove a point on twitter rumours

Ironically proving that he's an absolute spacewaster just like the rest of them.

Yes, he could have made me 3k if he was able to finish his dinner. I was watching him only everytime Russia played. Did well in the first match but wouldn't finish his dinner after that.

I think you are thinking of Aleksandr Kerzhakov

Ironically proving that he's an absolute spacewaster just like the rest of them.

I disagree. He knew what he was doing. He was trying to teach people to kop on and not believe every rumour that is started.

• Advertisement

I think you are thinking of Aleksandr Kerzhakov

I'm pretty sure I know who I stood to win 3k from if he got a 4th goal. :p

I'm pretty sure I know who I stood to win 3k from if he got a 4th goal. :p

3k is peanuts for you?

You would have spent that in an hour in Ibiza tonight surely?

That's very optimistic though.
    I'd say Liverpool will be working on deals right through the transfer window.

Yeah, definitely optimistic. Still what I'd like though. The style of play will be changing quite a bit, so the more time together the better so we can try to hit the ground running for that incredibly difficult first few weeks of the season.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely optimistic. Still what I'd like though. The style of play will be changing quite a bit, so the more time together the better so we can try to hit the ground running for that incredibly difficult first few weeks of the season.

But when you consider the club has only hired new scouts in the last few days I think that is very optimistic.
    Better off taking time to get the right players IMO

But when you consider the club has only hired new scouts in the last few days I think that is very optimistic.
    Better off taking time to get the right players IMO

I know its optimistic. I said so in the post you quoted. I don't expect it to happen. I'm talking perfect world stuff here. What I want, and what I expect are two different things.

On the new scouts, I'm not sure they'll slow things up all that much. Just because they're new doesn't mean all the previous reports which have been compiled on myriads of players will be thrown out the window. I'd say everyone involved already knows who they're looking at for this window. The new guys will more come into play in future windows i'd imagine, and may provide some additional info they already have ready on some guys for the current window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Don't rush me on the transfers lads - I'm still redecorating the office. Kenny had the bloody walls painted tartan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Don't rush me on the transfers lads - I'm still redecorating the office. Kenny had the bloody walls painted tartan.

What are you painting them?

Orange?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

You always ideally want your signings in early. United usually get their targets early(see Kagawa this summer). I would expect Liverpool to have their shortlist of targets drawn up long before now so we shouldn't have to spend all summer getting players. Of course plans can change with clubs digging their heels(see Vertrongen at Ajax) and other clubs hijacking at the last minute(see siggy). But i would imagine the club are currently in talks with a number of clubs over players, just hopefully not mark Davies he can feck off!

EDIT: On the point about the new scouts why wait most of the summer letting other clubs get the top players while we wait for one of our scouts to tell us if some prat in Paraguay is the "real deal".

It's easier for United to get their targets early. They are one of the top choices for players to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Super-Rush wrote: »
    What are you painting them?

Orange?

You know many orange men called Brendan? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

It is a bit easier for them but they did miss out on Hazard and went straight for Kagawa after that. We may not be as attractive a propositon as United but then again we won't be after the same caliber of player as the "top" clubs. We should be well able to compete with the Totenhams and Newcastles for the players we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I'd take Iniesta, Pirlo and Ramos :)

And have Iniesta and Pirlo fighting for a place?
    (Didn't we show an interest in Pirlo about 2 years ago?)

Imagine Ramos and Agger together...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

The bloke who started that rumour has since admitted he was doing it to prove a point on twitter rumours

Love this. "What's the point of twitter rumours? They're so misleading. I hate them. I'm going to start one to prove how misleading they can be".

A few people in here have suggested doing something similar as well. Unreal.

It is a bit easier for them but they did miss out on Hazard and went straight for Kagawa after that. We may not be as attractive a propositon as United but then again we won't be after the same caliber of player as the "top" clubs. We should be well able to compete with the Totenhams and Newcastles for the players we want.

It's not impossible to attract good names, our signings of Suarez, Meireles and Maxi show that, but we cannot expect to be in for the really big players unless other big clubs are not interested for some reason. CL is such a huge part of the equation. The increase in quality in the Europe League (and the fact that so many CL teams only get 3 games and then drop down) does lessen the blow. But players want to be playing with and against the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Brendan Rodgers live on Talksport right now

Edit - Just discussed Spain, his football philosophy,AVB & Spurs. Said he is interested in bringing in 3/4 players.
    He is happy enough for Luis to play at the Olympics. No word of Siggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Brendan Rodgers live on Talksport right now

Anything good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Vicxas wrote: »
    Anything good?

Not a whole lot, I edited above post with some details. Looking at bringing in 3/4 players.

Rumour in the Belfast Telegraph that Rodgers will go for countryman Steven Davis, who's leaving Rangers. As a squad midfielder, he'd be a better option that his Bolton namesake. He's reliable, has hardly missed a game in 4 full seasons, and obviously wouldn't command any transfer fee. That would be a smart signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Dickerty wrote: »
    Rumour in the Belfast Telegraph that Rodgers will go for countryman Steven Davis, who's leaving Rangers. As a squad midfielder, he'd be a better option that his Bolton namesake. He's reliable, has hardly missed a game in 4 full seasons, and obviously wouldn't command any transfer fee. That would be a smart signing.

Better than Henderson, Adam, Shelvey or Gerrard?

if we keep bringing in average squad players we might as well burn down the academy

• Advertisement

if we keep bringing in average squad players we might as well burn down the academy

Which CM from our acadamy is ready now? Coady isn't.
    Spearing doesn't cut it as cover for Lucas. None of the others you mentioned are in that mould (although I think Henderson could do it with some work). And every team signs squad players. As a free transfer on moderate wages, even if it lasted 2 years and we sold on, it would cost us very little...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Which CM from our acadamy is ready now? Coady isn't.
    Spearing doesn't cut it as cover for Lucas. None of the others you mentioned are in that mould (although I think Henderson could do it with some work). And every team signs squad players. As a free transfer on moderate wages, even if it lasted 2 years and we sold on, it would cost us very little...

We would hope that Texeira will be knocking on the door.

Point is we have adequate depth of CM players who can't play DM.

buying more of them just impedes the progress of the younger lads who can play CM - Texeira, Lussey, Baio, Suso, Coady. worse still we aren't improving our first 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭doc_17

Spearing isn't an option - at all. Not even for cover, Leauge Cup, Europa Cup. I wish he was but he's just not good enough.

We would hope that Texeira will be knocking on the door.

Point is we have adequate depth of CM players who can't play DM.

buying more of them just impedes the progress of the younger lads who can play CM - Texeira, Lussey, Baio, Suso, Coady. worse still we aren't improving our first 11

I am only talking holding CM here. Most of those you mentioned are not for that position.
    I don't want to replace Lucas. I want sufficient cover so he can be rested occasionaly over a long season after a long time out. Perhaps Coady and Henderson can do that, but I just think that the maths for Davis would work out.
    Coady needs a season loan somewhere that he'll play. I'd imagine a few players were help back for Next Gen last season, but he needs hard games and experience, it did a lot of good for Shelvey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

doc_17 wrote: »
    Spearing isn't an option - at all. Not even for cover, Leauge Cup, Europa Cup. I wish he was but he's just not good enough.

B.I.N.G.O.

The lad is tripe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Slattsy wrote: »
    B.I.N.G.O.

The lad is tripe.

Unbelievably harsh.

He may not be Liverpool 1st team quality, but he is Premiership quality or at least top level Championship quality.

A great academy production.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    B.I.N.G.O.

The lad is tripe.

Unbelievably harsh.

He may not be Liverpool 1st team quality, but he is Premiership quality or at least top level Championship quality.

A great academy production.

He's not Prem quality. Like all young lads coming up, you're hoping they'll be the next Gerrard, but sometimes ya just have to be honest.

He's championship level. No doubt. Couldn't see too many Prem clubs sniffing around him.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love the Academy to fix the problems of cover for the first team, and it has in terms of Flanagan, Robinson and Sterling to an extent. But we are not transitioning these players up in the way we did with Fowler, Owen, Macca, Jamie and Stevie. They all game up without needing to be loaned out for 2 or 3 seasons first...

Don't get me wrong - I'd love the Academy to fix the problems of cover for the first team, and it has in terms of Flanagan, Robinson and Sterling to an extent. But we are not transitioning these players up in the way we did with Fowler, Owen, Macca, Jamie and Stevie. They all game up without needing to be loaned out for 2 or 3 seasons first...

Robinson should have been given game time last season. Couldn't and still can't get my head around Kenny not throwing him in with Enrique having a bit of a bad patch. I really rate this fella.

I can see Rodgers giving Sterling a chance this season.

I'm still unsure about Flanagan, he probably needs a loan out more than anyone. Was found out when he got a chance early last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd rather have jimmy white than the villa reject, Steve Davis.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

He's not Prem quality. Like all young lads coming up, you're hoping they'll be the next Gerrard, but sometimes ya just have to be honest.

He's championship level. No doubt. Couldn't see too many Prem clubs sniffing around him.

I'd be willing to wager a fiver that if Spearing leaves this Summer, it'll be to a Premiership club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Robinson should have been given game time last season. Couldn't and still can't get my head around Kenny not throwing him in with Enrique having a bit of a bad patch. I really rate this fella.

I can see Rodgers giving Sterling a chance this season.

I'm still unsure about Flanagan, he probably needs a loan out more than anyone. Was found out when he got a chance early last season.
    Robinson was injured for a large part of the season.

spockety wrote: »

I'd be willing to wager a fiver that if Spearing leaves this Summer, it'll be to a Premiership club.

One hundred million dollars ;)

I'll accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Right I've never heard of this paper 'the sabotage times' but in my quest to find anything on Liverpool and transfers thought this a good piece about Gaston Ramirez......

Liverpool have reportedly tabled a bid for young Uruguayan starlet Gaston Ramirez, and should he arrive he could be just as successful as his controversial countryman at Anfield.

Liverpool have reportedly tabled a bid for young Uruguayan starlet Gaston Ramirez, and should he arrive he could be just as successful as his controversial countryman at Anfield.

The recent success of Uruguay at international level over recent years has certainly caught the eye: Oscar Tarbarez’s side have won plenty of plaudits for their effective, attacking football, culminating in their victory at the 2011 Copa America tournament. The likes of Luis Suarez and Edison Cavani are undoubtedly recognised world-class players, and there are a crop of talented youngsters coming through hoping to emulate the success of their compatriots, such as Sebastian Coates, Abel Hernandez and Bologna’s Gaston Ramirez, the latter of whom has long been linked with Liverpool, and reports this weekend have suggested that the Reds have made an official bid for the young attacking midfielder.

Having joined Bologna in 2010 in a €2.5m move from Penarol, Ramirez has really gone on to establish himself as one of the hottest young talents in Europe. He showed great promise during his debut season in Italy, yet he failed to become a regular starter under then Bologna coach Alberto Malesani, making 17 starts (and 10 substitute appearances) in all competitions, whilst scoring 7 goals – a very respectable return given his limited playing time. It wasn’t until Stefano Piolo took over as head coach in October 2011 that he really started to flourish and consistently show his talents, scoring 8 goals in 28 starts. When Piolo took over, the Rossoblu were bottom of the table without a win all season, yet he led them to a 9th place finish in Serie A; a remarkable achievement for a cash-strapped club whose realistic ambitions are simply to stay in the division.

It is easy to see why Ramirez is coveted by a whole host of Europe’s elite; he has everything to his game. His elegant playing style is a joy to watch, his intelligence when in possession belies his age, and his all round technique is fantastic. In a world where the diminutive playmaker is now all the rage, at 6ft Ramirez is far more physically imposing, which would stand him in good stead should he move to a more laboriously demanding league. Whilst the success rate of players moving from Italy to England over the past decade is far from impressive, those that do go on to impress are generally not players who have come up through the Italian youth system, but rather made their name in Serie A before moving to the Premiership.

His elegant playing style is a joy to watch, his intelligence when in possession belies his age, and his all round technique is fantastic.
    How Ramirez would potentially fit in at Liverpool is unclear, largely down to not knowing what system Brendan Rodgers will use heading in to next season. Should be decide to persist with the 4-3-3 system that brought him great success with Swansea, then it is likely Ramirez would alternate between playing as the most attacking of the midfield three, or as the wide forward on other side of the striker. At Bologna he started off playing wide left, but under Piolo has done his best work playing either as a trequartista or on the right of midfield where he can cut inside on his left foot. On the one hand, you can praise his versatility and ability to perform in a variety of roles, yet on the other hand you can question whether his inability to hold down one single position means that neither the player nor coach really know what his Ramirez’s most effective position is.

There is the sense that Ramirez needs to improve on his off-the-ball work – although that is a criticism that can be levelled at many young players, particularly those that play in attacking positions. He is often the man who is sacrificed in the latter stages of games when a more defensive player is needed to see the game out, and, thus, he rarely finishes 90 minutes (he completed the full game only 7 times in the 10/11 season, and 9 times last season). Brendan Rodgers has always stressed the importance of working hard when not in possession to win the ball back, and in the fast-paced Premiership where players have often been picked for their work ethic and tactical discipline (James Milner, Park Ji Sung and Dirk Kuyt immediately spring to mind), any disinclination to contribute to the defensive side of the game will do nothing to endear him to manager and fans alike.

The Reds are unlikely to be alone in attempting the lure Ramirez to Anfield, and the recent Gylfi Sigurdsson saga – the Icelandic midfielder had looked set to be reunited with Brendan Rodgers at Anfield, but now appears to be on the verge of a move to rivals Tottenham, who offered him a more lucrative contract – has proven that, for all their illustrious history, money talks in the modern game, and, with no Champions League football to offer, Liverpool are going to have to really splash the cash if they want to sign players of Ramirez’s calibre. Whether the club’s American owners will do that, however, after spending the best part of £80m on homegrown talent last season with little return, remains to be seen.

With no Champion’s League football to offer, Liverpool are going to have to really splash the cash if they want to sign players of Ramirez’s calibre
    At 21, there is no rush for Ramirez or Bologna to facilitate a big-money move away from the Stadio Renato Dall’Ara. With Marco Di Vaio, the club’s talismanic veteran striker, having moved to the MLS, the young Uruguayan would likely become the centrepiece of the side should he stay, and another impressive season would drive his price – and interest in the player himself – right up. Any interested parties would also be best served to complete a deal for Ramirez before the upcoming 2012 Olympics, as an impressive showing in London – where Uruguay are amongst the favourites – will only add an extra couple of million euros on to his already substantial price tag.

Gaston Ramirez possesses all the tools to follow in the footsteps of his fellow countryman and be successful at Anfield. He would certainly add creativity and goals from midfield that were sorely lacking from the Reds last season and, whilst he would not come cheap, he fits FSG’s transfer policy of buying younger players with potential before they develop in to world-class stars. Liverpool fans should be hoping, then, that a move for the Fray Bentos born attacker is more than just a pie in the sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

TalkSport interview with Rodgers - http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120703/exclusive-rodgers-insists-suarez-stay-liverpool-175722

Gist of it was he had a chat with Luis and will be offering him a new contract in the coming weeks. Also said, “I’m looking forward to bringing in three or four players that can really affect the group.”

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

don't worry, there is no way we're getting Steven Davis.

i'm confident that Rodgers is not a moron, and sees the depth we have in his position, both in the first team and at youth level, and sees no need.

we really do need to stop jumping on every rumour; we're going to give ourselves collective heart failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I do like Davis I have to say. Always thought he offered a nice goal threat.

But at Liverpool? I don't think so.

I think he will be effective at a lower club...even if that sounds moronic given our current state of affairs.

I really am excited at the thoughs of Lucas, Aquaman and even, top a lesser extent, a rejuvinated Joe Cole coming back.

With those three back and the possibility of "three or four" new signings, I am surprised we haven't heard anything more about departures yet as things would get a little crowded.

Just to make sure - no-one thinks we need to sign a better cover for Lucas? Or do we think Henderson can do that? (which I do, with some work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

noodler wrote: »
    I do like Davis I have to say. Always thought he offered a nice goal threat.

But at Liverpool? I don't think so.

I think he will be effective at a lower club...even if that sounds moronic given our current state of affairs.

I really am excited at the thoughs of Lucas, Aquaman and even, top a lesser extent, a rejuvinated Joe Cole coming back.

With those three back and the possibility of "three or four" new signings, I am surprised we haven't heard anything more about departures yet as things would get a little crowded.

Really don't want Joe Cole anywhere near the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just to make sure - no-one thinks we need to sign a better cover for Lucas? Or do we think Henderson can do that? (which I do, with some work)

We need proper cover for Lucas, or maybe a CM who can tackle who can play alongside Lucas as well as cover for him.

Henderson could not cover in any way for Lucas, save for being a body on the pitch. Henderson is not the type of player who can hunt down players in possession and break up play. What Henderson might be capable of, if he steps up to a massive degree, is being a recycler type player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If we're playing a three-man midfield, as is likely, our need for like-for-like cover isn't so pronounced. We're pretty well stocked with various combinations of Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Spearing, Adam and Shelvey.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement