Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unsure of exit on roundabout

Options
  • 12-01-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Ok I know how to indicate on roundabouts has been done on lots of threads but I've a question which I've never seen addressed and am curious to hear opinions on.

There is a roundabout which I often approach from which there are two exits I can take which will lead me home. There isn't much of a difference in distance however one of them has some new horrible mountains of ramps on them so I generally take the other route.

The problem is at rush hour times there can be long tailback on this route and so I put up with the ramps for the sake of not sitting in traffic. However I can't see how much traffic there is on this route until I'm actually on the roundabout.

I approach the roundabout on a single lane which splits into two just as it approaches the roundabout. The left for going left or straight ahead and the right for straight or right. The potential exits are straight, ramps route, right, no ramps but slow at rush hour.

I'd approach in the right lane move onto roundabout and taking my entry as 6 and the exits as 3, 12, and 9, I can see if there will be traffic or not by between 7 and 8 o'clock. At this stage can decide what exit to take and either indicate right or wait til passed first exit and indicate left to go straight ahead.

I kind of know what I'm doing isn't strictly correct however, by the time I know where I am going and indicate it is still early enough that it won't of effected anyone coming onto the roundabout. I'm also in the correct lane for whichever exit I take.

I'm curious to hear the opinions of others on this. What happens when you approach a roundabout and don't know which exit you will be taking, often the signage is just on the exits of roundabout so won't know til on roundabout.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I may have read this wrong, but as you say the right lane is labelled as being both for turning right and going straight on, then what you are doing is not wrong.

If it's the case where you can only use the left lane for going straight on, then simply approach in the right lane, indicating right as if you wanted to turn right, enter roundabout, ascertain traffic on the road, then either take the exit on the right, or change lanes on the roundabout to take the correct lane - if there's a lot of traffic and changing lanes is difficult, then just go the whole way around the roundabout, moving into the left lane and indicating left before the exit you intend to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Print Screen of the roundabout would help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I may have read this wrong, but as you say the right lane is labelled as being both for turning right and going straight on, then what you are doing is not wrong.

I know there is nothing wrong with my choice of lanes, rather just the fact I'm not indicating until actually on the roundabout.

Don't know why didn't think to show the roundabout
    http://maps.google.com/?ll=52.665314,-8.579882&spn=0.000924,0.002411&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6
    I'm approaching from the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I dont think you are allowed to use the right lane for going straight, when I done the driving test I was marked down for being in the right lane for going straight, was told right lane was only for going around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I dont think you are allowed to use the right lane for going straight, when I done the driving test I was marked down for being in the right lane for going straight, was told right lane was only for going around.

Depends on the road markings on the Roundabout. Still better off in the left lane though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

go around the roundabout fully once and take the exit you want on the 2nd try!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

go around the roundabout fully once and take the exit you want on the 2nd try!

Exactly...

Indicate right as if you are taking speed bump alley, if you notice traffic leave the indicator on and keep on going around and take the non lethal speed bump route.

Will take you an extra 15 seconds and won't potentially cause an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Chris Heilong yes you can be on the right-hand lane to go straight ahead or second exit if circumstances dictate as left lane being conjested, otherwise you'd be on the left lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

don't worry about it, noone else will be indicating anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

corktina wrote: »
    don't worry about it, noone else will be indicating anyway

2 wrongs don't make a right

It's people's fook it we're grand attitude to roundabouts that just keeps this going

If i'm left hanging at a roundabout because I don't know if someone is going straight or left (so I presume straight and wait) and they don't bother their arse letting me know, they get a nice blast of the horn as they pass me by!!

Not pulling them up on it for me is not an option as I have no doubt they'd go blissfuly and ignorantly on their way and do it again at the next roundabout. Doing something is better than doing nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

chill will you....didnt you see the smilie?

Advertisement