Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat nav / phone cradles

• 12-01-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Do thieves still break into cars that display these? I just bought one today and am wondering if it's foolish to leave it in place when parked. The phone will never be left in the car but thieves sometimes chance that it is in the glovebox.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think you're probably ok with a phone cradle that is permanently mounted on the dash but a SatNav mount on the windscreen with a suction cup is a definite invitation for thieves.

garmin-nuvi-770-cradle.jpg

Even the mark left behind when you put the cradle in the glovebox is a giveaway, I always keep some heavy duty rags in the door pocket to wipe the evidence from the windscreen after I use the SatNav windscreen mount and I take the SatNav down around the corner from my destination so nobody sees me stashing away the device and the mount when I'm parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

My phone cradle is similar to the above but for a Samsung Galaxy S2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

When you can pick up a decent Nav for under €100, are there still thieves nicking them?

Never remove the cradle from my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

R.O.R wrote: »
    When you can pick up a decent Nav for under €100, are there still thieves nicking them?

Never remove the cradle from my car.

Some models have mp3 players, Traffic FM receivers, Bluetooth interface for a mobile phone etc. etc.. www.expansys.ie currently have 13 in-car satnav models costing more than €300.

The problem is that the thief only finds out that you've a cheapo Aldi/Lidl model after he's broken your side window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it is worth something to someone then you can be guaranteed that a thief will want it. Even a stolen sub €100 sat nav will fetch x amount from someone who will not ask where it came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Sat Navs wow I remember them. Back in the old days I use to leave my mount on the windscreen. Now I just use the satnav app in my phone as I am never gonna leave the phone in the car anyways. A thief probably wont break into a car when he sees a phone holder as 9.9/10 the phone is probably not in the glovebox anyways:)

Advertisement