Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurence for a young driver

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

thebiglad wrote: »
    If you crash in that I guarantee the insurer will cop on it is not your "mother's" car. You might think you were smart to insure in her name for the disounted premium but to whom is the car registered, who is the purchase invoice for the car made out to? How was the car paid for - can your mother show the funds being taken from her account? All servicing, maintenance and fuel costs etc - who is going to pay them and to whom therefore will all those bills be issued? Last but not least, does Aviva know this is not factory standard?

If you crash that car you are heading for a world of trouble and you will not be making any no claims bonus in your name so no benefit of premium savings in future if you don't crash.

Poor choice.
    car is regestered to mum
    purches invoice in mums name
    money was removed from mums account i paid her cash !
    there is a white diesel tank at the house and i fill my car from that because its cheaper ! and yes accualy i did tell aviva that i have coilovers and a powerflow !!! just cause im from donegal dn't assum im trying something doagy ! poor choice on what ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

fanadman1 wrote: »
    car is regestered to mum
    purches invoice in mums name
    money was removed from mums account i paid her cash !
    there is a white diesel tank at the house and i fill my car from that because its cheaper ! and yes accualy i did tell aviva that i have coilovers and a powerflow !!! just cause im from donegal dn't assum im trying something doagy ! poor choice on what ???

Being main driver for a car on which you are a named driver - doubtless you will be back on Boards whining when Aviva give you a hard time if you need to claim.

Taking the policy in your own name means in 1 year you get a 30% discount and so on - when you do take a policy in your own name in say 2 years you will find little difference in the premiums - it is NCB which really brings the premium down.

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Wow people in here are crabby! He has 30 days from when he brings in the car to pay the VRT. He also has to go to the location himself with the car to pay said VRT and in order to be able to do that he has to have insurance which you might not realise he has just sorted out!!!

My god lads he's 18 - give him a break!

p.s. love the car, much nicer than i imagined it to be! :cool:

thank you thank you alot !! anybody who knows the area would understand why we feel that it is safe to take our photos ontop of it ! i would like to point out that evan though people think that i am im not a boy racer ! i love my car to bits and id never evan think of doging it down a country road ! i took collecttion of the car last wendesday got my insurence sorted on monday and yesterday at 4pm i was in the vrt office in letterkenny geting my reg changed over. rant over :L thanks alot :L it was on 15" bora sport alloys befor i got it and my friend had them rs4s in the back lawn we stuck them on and never bothered takin them of lol :L i was never a fan of leons myself well that type anyway but i seen her on donedeal and had to have her :L

thebiglad wrote: »
    Being main driver for a car on which you are a named driver - doubtless you will be back on Boards whining when Aviva give you a hard time if you need to claim.

Taking the policy in your own name means in 1 year you get a 30% discount and so on - when you do take a policy in your own name in say 2 years you will find little difference in the premiums - it is NCB which really brings the premium down.

i know u have this opion that all young drivers are tubes and willl crash every car they get ! but that is sterotypeing my car rarely passes 50mph i was in a crash befor and learned my lesson!(not me driveing) i know that idealy i would be in my own name but im not in a position where im able to do that atm :( i am a typical teenager as in i like to go out and injoy myself but dn't drink
    the reason i have no money is im currently paying my way through college ! named driver experence being 19 and not 18 and haveing my pink will take my premium down a brave bit (touch wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

oldyouth wrote: »
    All the talk on this thread about dear insurance for young males and on your first trip out, you park it across 2 lanes of a bridge, with no L plates :rolleyes:

Sure if it's safe, with a clear sight of vision and the driver is in the car what's the problem? My mate has taken shots of his car on the Samual Beckett bridge!!

On a general note, I think some people need to get off the OP's back and caste their minds back to when they got their first car and the excitement they felt. Sure me Da is in his 50's and he was like a schoolboy in a sweet shop when he ordered his car there before Xmas.

I can see what people mean about the insurance but the price of good over is astronomical these days and the sooner he starts, the cheaper it will slowly but surely become.

• Advertisement

focus_mad wrote: »
    Sure if it's safe, with a clear sight of vision and the driver is in the car what's the problem? My mate has taken shots of his car on the Samual Beckett bridge!!

On a general note, I think some people need to get off the OP's back and caste their minds back to when they got their first car and the excitement they felt. Sure me Da is in his 50's and he was like a schoolboy in a sweet shop when he ordered his car there before Xmas.

I can see what people mean about the insurance but the price of good over is astronomical these days and the sooner he starts, the cheaper it will slowly but surely become.

thanks :) people need to understand the setting ! anybody hear about the mulroy bridge in fanad ?? thats it i went there at 2pm on a tuesday (my brother wassick had to come home from school) at that time of the day everyone is at work barely anyone comes over it
    one of the few people talking sense :L my da is in his 60's and had to get her out the road and find out where the boooo was best in her :L im a car inthueast not a boy racer!!!!!!! its not viable to go for insurence in your own name atm i just cn't do it u need to bend a small rule

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

OP - I'm delighted for you dude. You've got a fairly nice motor there for a young feller just be sure to treat it and your mothers policy with respect.

I was on me Ma's insurance until I was 23! :o

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    OP - I'm delighted for you dude. You've got a fairly nice motor there for a young feller just be sure to treat it and your mothers policy with respect.

I was on me Ma's insurance until I was 23! :o
    thanks alot lad :) i really like it and plan to take good care of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Safe motoring.

You have already made your first impression as a motorist OP :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76470439&postcount=6598

Safe motoring.

You have already made your first impression as a motorist OP :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76470439&postcount=6598

did u read all the comments?? i have explained why i think its safe to do that in that place!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

did u read all the comments?? i have explained why i think its safe to do that in that place!!!!!

Know that - was just a light hearted comment... hence the smiley face.

Mods seem to have deleted the linked post. (bridge photo Tallon posted in obnoxious parking thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Katekat

Congrats fanadman... have to say shes looking good! Just make sure your mum uses the car as well just in case anything happens... and don't mind about the boy racer comments. Living in Dublin for past 12 years (originally donegal) and you should see some of the eedjits driving here, how hard is it to use a roundabout?? And I know what you mean of the back roads at home, they're murder on the alloys as well, they don't like kerbs much either :D

Know that - was just a light hearted comment... hence the smiley face.

Mods seem to have deleted the linked post. (bridge photo Tallon posted in obnoxious parking thread)

sorry u caught me at a bad time :L was geting fairly annoyed with some of the people who were commenting me :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It was dangerous parking. You are neither experienced enough or qualified to decide if it was sufficiently safe.

I'm very surprised that the qualified driver you had with you, allowed you to do it in the first place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

All the talk on this thread about dear insurance for young males and on your first trip out, you park it across 2 lanes of a bridge, with no L plates
    It was dangerous parking. You are neither experienced enough or qualified to decide if it was sufficiently safe.

I'm very surprised that the qualified driver you had with you, allowed you to do it in the first place :rolleyes:

Dangerous parking?? He was hardly leaving it there and going off to Tesco for the weekly shop was he?? :rolleyes:

Many a time have we used Samual Beckett bridge or overpasses or the quays for photo opportunities. It can be done safely.

I'm just trying to work out why your whole post was putting the OP down? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

focus_mad wrote: »
    Dangerous parking?? He was hardly leaving it there and going off to Tesco for the weekly shop was he?? :rolleyes:

Many a time have we used Samual Beckett bridge or overpasses or the quays for photo opportunities. It can be done safely.

I'm just trying to work out why your whole post was putting the OP down? :confused:

I'm not putting down the OP in a personal sense. I'm just pointing out that every insurance discussion on this forum, relating to young drivers, always ends the same way. Thieving insurance companies having it in for law abiding young males. This thread is an example of fronting, dangerous parking, an inexperienced driver with a powerful car and driving while unaccompanied by a qualified driver. There is a direct relationship between this and high premiums.

Before anyone asks or states the obvious, yes, I was a brat on the roads myself at 18. I'm just saying it has consequences on what you pay

Katekat wrote: »
    Congrats fanadman... have to say shes looking good! Just make sure your mum uses the car as well just in case anything happens... and don't mind about the boy racer comments. Living in Dublin for past 12 years (originally donegal) and you should see some of the eedjits driving here, how hard is it to use a roundabout?? And I know what you mean of the back roads at home, they're murder on the alloys as well, they don't like kerbs much either :D

thanks alot :) i try not to but sometimes it really really gets to me :L like i went to buy tires and once i wanted a 40 profile tire i was a boy racer :L he never evan saw my car :L u get them edjits everywhere trust me !! i was in letterkenny last night and the amount of ones cuting u of in the roundabouts is cat :L back roads are a dissaster spend 2 hours washin polishin and waxin your car and then back to square one when u drive for 15mins :L i'll do my very best to keep them away from the kerb :L

I'm not putting down the OP in a personal sense. I'm just pointing out that every insurance discussion on this forum, relating to young drivers, always ends the same way. Thieving insurance companies having it in for law abiding young males. This thread is an example of fronting, dangerous parking, an inexperienced driver with a powerful car and driving while unaccompanied by a qualified driver. There is a direct relationship between this and high premiums.

Before anyone asks or states the obvious, yes, I was a brat on the roads myself at 18. I'm just saying it has consequences on what you pay

where did i say i had no driver on with me ??

i would just like to point out that the car was never parked ! cause the engind was not switched of the the driver (me) never left the drivers seat !!!!! my full driver got out and took the photo for me !!!!

named driver experence being 19 and not 18 and having my pink will take my premium down a brave bit (touch wood)
    Just FYI, that won't reduce your insurance that much. My insurance (on my dads policy) only dropped by €100 when I passed test...(and went up by €400 this year! Goodbye Aviva!)

• Advertisement

i would just like to point out that the car was never parked ! cause the engind was not switched of the the driver (me) never left the drivers seat !!!!! my full driver got out and took the photo for me !!!!
    Well then in that case it would be dangerous/careless driving... ;)

Well then in that case it would be dangerous/careless driving... ;)
    accually no :L because i was traveling in a convoy of 3 cars :L one was 500 yards up the road one was 500 yards down the road my rear seat passenger had 2 mobiles (086 free call) and they were to tell me if a car was comming and i could move :L this might sound fake but one of my friends was cliped there befor so we take no chances anymore

Just FYI, that won't reduce your insurance that much. My insurance (on my dads policy) only dropped by €100 when I passed test...(and went up by €400 this year! Goodbye Aviva!)

thanks for this information :) this is the kind of thing that makes me want to come to boards for info then the w*****rs u get turn me of it :/ time i think id be aswell talking to my friends and people arounf the town

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jaysis...i think it'd be best if i just closed this off now tbh.

Best of luck with the car OP, it looks well. PM me about this thread if you want...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement