Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A4 Vs BMW diesel.

• 27-12-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster on boards.ie..

As you can tell I'm a complete noob when it comes to forums and cars so I hope I got this right..
    Now I'm driving 01 TDI golf, 155k millage and looking for a change, my price range I guess is anything up to 8k and no more, 7k is tops really but I'd stretch another thousand if needs be.

I was looking at 3 options..
    Honda Accord, A4, or some sort of Diesel BMW 320d or something ( I'm not sure which sort of BMW really..)

Wondering which is best in your opinion? running costs isn't a big factor but I don't want to pay over €1,000/yr for tax , So am I right in saying that rules the accord out?
    The A4 seems a nice car, same engine as my old TDI and seems pretty powerfull..
    But I have my heart set on a BTW, from looking at donedeal there's some nice ones in my price range, can anyone advise me on a model? not looking for anything above 2.2 litre diesel and I'm 20 and pretty concerned about insurance costs...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EC1991

Feel free to move this btw or edit it ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd have the 320d over an a4 every time.

Seem to be better value also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Annual mileage???

Tax on diesel accord will be €925 from jan 1

Have you checked insurance, I'm guessing you're 20?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd have the 320d over an a4 every time.

Seem to be better value also.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2836914

something like this be suitable?320D 2005?

Annual milage is like 10k miles..

• Advertisement

Tax on diesel accord will be €925 from jan 1

Have you checked insurance, I'm guessing you're 20?

Yup just turned 20. €925 ain't too bad, views on this car?
    My heart is pretty much set on the BMW just want to explore a few other options..

The accord isn't the paragon of reliability you'd expect them to be.

From what I've gathered, service history on any BMW is worth its weight in gold, proof that the car has had the proper servicing and that all suspension components are spot on

Obviously get a veeified service history., do all the checks, I could never justify trading up to that particular one you linked as it's more mileage than I have n my 11 year old car.

You'd get a cracking MG ZT 135hp for well under your budget from the UK

The accord isn't the paragon of reliability you'd expect them to be.

From what I've gathered, service history on any BMW is worth its weight in gold, proof that the car has had the proper servicing and that all suspension components are spot on

Obviously get a veeified service history., do all the checks, I could never justify trading up to that particular one you linked as it's more mileage than I have n my 11 year old car.

You'd get a cracking MG ZT 135hp for well under your budget from the UK

wouldn't be a massive fan or the MG, but you think that if I was to look for a BMW, that a 320D would be a decent option??Any ideas on the annual tax for a 2.0l or 2.2l one of these?
    Also why is no on the A4? thanks for your help btw. I havn't a clue when it comes to buying cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I wouldn't say there is much to choose between either of them.

When you go back in the years to the type of car that fits in your budget you really need to take each car as it comes and judge each one individually. There is a lot of crap out there that has had the sh1t driven out of it and inadequate maintenance, especially TDI A4s and 320ds because they are the type of car that attracts a certain type of owner.

I just don't get the a4 thing, it's mechanically the same as an Octavia, passat etc. It has a slightly better interior and sharper styling, it's still front wheel drive, and the 1.9 TDI is so old, Noah had one on the ark.

Also, every pikey in the country has traded in their glanza for one, so the prices are inflated and a good number of them have been driven hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

every pikey in the country has traded in their glanza for one, so the prices are inflated and a good number of them have been driven hard.

Same applies to the 320d in my opinion, which is what I was getting at in my post above. The Accord is also heading for the same territory.

Same applies to the 320d in my opinion, which is what I was getting at in my post above. The Accord is also heading for the same territory.

Anybody got a link to how much the new car tax rates are gonna be?
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTaxRates/MotorTaxRatesBasedonEngineSize/

this is all I can find, Also why is TDI 560 p/yr and an A4 TDI €1k p/yr

Maybe I don't notice the bmws but, every a4 i see for sale has amg wheels, or fake s6 wheels, chicken wire, fibreglass s4 kit etc etc

You rarely tend to see that kind of ****e on 3 series, the odd M badge, but nowhere as common as aspirational A4s

If the tax is under €1,500 may consider a 530D like this ..(this ones sold) http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2666248

Obv insurance cost implications will come into play when buying a 3L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

It's beyond me as to why when the OP's annual mileage is only 10k miles, he is looking at high mileage possibly troublesome diesel BMW's. Why not a petrol equivalent?

You will get a nicer 318i for your money than the 320d.

EC1991 wrote: »
    Anybody got a link to how much the new car tax rates are gonna be?
    http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTaxRates/MotorTaxRatesBasedonEngineSize/

this is all I can find, Also why is TDI 560 p/yr and an A4 TDI €1k p/yr

New rates here

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,28859,en.doc

166man wrote: »
    It's beyond me as to why when the OP's annual mileage is only 10k miles, he is looking at high mileage possibly troublesome diesel BMW's. Why not a petrol equivalent?

You will get a nicer 318i for your money than the 320d.

pretty inexperinced with cards, Why a 318i instead of 320d?

Is there much of a difference also?

Yes, the 318i is petrol, so no turbocharger or injector worries, it'll feel much slower, be harder on fuel but cheaper to buy.

Thanks colm for this!

There's but does this only relate to car after Jan 2008? or whats the relevance of 2008?

Also why the tax difference in A4 and golf ? (both tdis)
    Emissions?

After 2008 for co2 rates

A golf 1.9 and a4 1.9 would have the same tax.

Dunno where you got your rate for tax on the a4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Personally I'd take a 320d over a 318i all day long.

Yes, the 318i is petrol, so no turbocharger or injector worries, it'll feel much slower, be harder on fuel but cheaper to buy.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/find/cars/for-sale/Ireland/318i?filter%28max_price%29=9999&filter%28min_price%29=5000&source=all

Poor selection on donedeal...

Still leaning towards the A4/ 320d..
    thanks for your help on this guys. Guess I'll look into insurance costs on 320d, and 520d.. Also tax on both..
    If it's too much I may opt for the A4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

This is a bit pricey for the year and mileage but if I wad looking at Audi id look at something like this

cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2837359

Search for 318 BMW as opposed to 318i and you'll find way more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This might be worth a look at if that low mileage has a proven service history that is verifiable with the garages who serviced it:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2796618

The price obviously doesn't include VRT but I reckon it will cost around €6500 incl VRT. Nice spec and it's a M Sport model which are more sought after.

If I was going A4 route, I would stick to the 1.9 TDi and get it remapped, yes it rattles like a bag of spanners but nowhere near as troublesome as the 2.0 TDi version.

The 3 Series being rwd is alot nicer to drive than the A4 but then again I am a bit bias. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Bazz, not sure if that is a proper M-Sport model, it hasn't got the sports seats, steering wheel and gear knob of many of the other Sport models I have seen?

Still, lose the mud guards and verify the mileage and it's a nice car alright.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

166man wrote: »
    Bazz, not sure if that is a proper M-Sport model, it hasn't got the sports seats, steering wheel and gear knob of many of the other Sport models I have seen?

Still, lose the mud guards and verify the mileage and it's a nice car alright.:)

Good call, totally missed the standard seats. The chrome surrounds on the window frames were not available on the M Sport either. So many fake E46 M Sports doing the rounds these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

gpf101 wrote: »
    Personally I'd take a 320d over a 318i all day long.

not when you're only driving 10k miles a year....you're only asking for trouble with diesels then...
    I purchased a 520d cause I do about 20-25k a year....
    If I was only doing 10k I'd had bought a 630i etc which is petrol and for the mileage I wouldn't give a crap about petrol prices..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DMARTINGTI

At 10k miles a year you would be better off with a petrol. Lower servicing costs and purchase price. You won't recoup the diff in purchase cost through fuel efficiency of diesel unless you do north of 20k miles per year

• Advertisement

I wanna see calculations on that please. How much of a premium do you reckon a diesel car in the age range the op is looking at. How long would you keep the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

10k a year is nowhere near diesel territory!
    Buy a petrol 318ci low enough miles and be done with it!
    Diesel will either save you €250 a year on fuel or break your heart and the piggybank

I wanna see calculations on that please. How much of a premium do you reckon a diesel car in the age range the op is looking at. How long would you keep the car?

I don't have exact calcs Colm, but recently as an example I have been trying to buy a 2003 - 2005 A6 Avant. 1.9 Diesels have a 4-5 thousand premium on 1.8T petrols. MPG diff is 12-17mpg, significant but with low mileage per year you would be a long time saving that difference in purchase price.

I don't have exact calcs Colm, but recently as an example I have been trying to buy a 2003 - 2005 A6 Avant. 1.9 Diesels have a 4-5 thousand premium on 1.8T petrols. MPG diff is 12-15mpg, significant but with low mileage per year you would be a long time saving that difference in purchase price.

DMARTINGTI wrote: »
    I don't have exact calcs Colm, but recently as an example I have been trying to buy a 2003 - 2005 A6 Avant. 1.9 Diesels have a 4-5 thousand premium on 1.8T petrols. MPG diff is 12-15mpg, significant but with low mileage per year you would be a long time saving that difference in purchase price.

5 grand in the difference? that doesn't sound right. are the 1.8T models for free or something?

Avant isn't a great example as they're not as common as saloons.

Avant is a bad choice granted but with similar mileage you will see big differences in purchase price of same car model diesel vs Petrol and this needs to be taken into account when calculating the total cost of ownership and whether the difference is worth it in terms of fuel savings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement