Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Management (Part Time)

Options
  • 31-08-2015 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, making this thread as I was thinking about starting this course in Sept. If there is anyone out there that is doing or has done this course that could give me some insight I would appreciate it.

Basically, I have zero experience in IT sector and have been out of education and class environment for 9 years since I did leaving cert. I work full time 9-5 in retail too.

Do you think this course would be doable, especially for someone starting from scratch, with no experience in IT?

Many thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

mike316 wrote: »
    Hi, making this thread as I was thinking about starting this course in Sept. If there is anyone out there that is doing or has done this course that could give me some insight I would appreciate it.

Basically, I have zero experience in IT sector and have been out of education and class environment for 9 years since I did leaving cert. I work full time 9-5 in retail too.

Do you think this course would be doable, especially for someone starting from scratch, with no experience in IT?

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

I did this course Full Time. You don't need any experience in the IT sector for this course. Once you know the basics of using a computer, you should be fine. There were guys in their late 50s in my class, who would have been out of a classroom a lot longer than 9 years. :)

If I remember correctly the part time course was 3 nights per week, usually 6-11 (might have started earlier, so check that out with the School of Science & Computing).

Do you know what kind of job you would like to get at the end of the course? A lot of people do this course not knowing what the course entails and what to expect to get at the end of it. Look at the college website (linked below) and see the various subjects that you will be taking over the length of the course.

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/index.cfm/page/coursept?id=154

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mike316

rog871 wrote: »
    Hi Mike,

I did this course Full Time. You don't need any experience in the IT sector for this course. Once you know the basics of using a computer, you should be fine. There were guys in their late 50s in my class, who would have been out of a classroom a lot longer than 9 years. :)

If I remember correctly the part time course was 3 nights per week, usually 6-11 (might have started earlier, so check that out with the School of Science & Computing).

Do you know what kind of job you would like to get at the end of the course? A lot of people do this course not knowing what the course entails and what to expect to get at the end of it. Look at the college website (linked below) and see the various subjects that you will be taking over the length of the course.

http://www.it-tallaght.ie/index.cfm/page/coursept?id=154

Thanks for your reply rog :-)

To be honest I don't know what kind of job I hope to get at the end of it. I have an interest in web develooment and how internet works in the business environment and I would like to have a degree in a somewhat future proof sector.

The main thing that worries me is the course details say that in the Business and Information systems module I would have to be involved in a class presentation after just 3 weeks which I would be very nervous to do after being out of education for this long haha!!

Do you happen to remember what this was like and was it so soon into the course when you did it?

Thanks a million

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

Well this course should give you a good taste of many different areas of IT. So you will probably find modules that you like more than others. Many people taking the course may already have jobs in IT. Try get to know them and ask them about their jobs. You may get an idea of what you do (or don't) want to do.

It has been a while since first year but... Yes, you could very well be involved in a class presentation in the first few weeks. You may be given a small project to do individually or in a group and then will present in front of the class followed by a quick Q&A. Just remember that most people are going to be just as; if not more nervous than you :). I don't think presentations are anything you can really get away from (in any course). They also are generally very relaxed.

rog871 wrote: »
    Well this course should give you a good taste of many different areas of IT. So you will probably find modules that you like more than others. Many people taking the course may already have jobs in IT. Try get to know them and ask them about their jobs. You may get an idea of what you do (or don't) want to do.

It has been a while since first year but... Yes, you could very well be involved in a class presentation in the first few weeks. You may be given a small project to do individually or in a group and then will present in front of the class followed by a quick Q&A. Just remember that most people are going to be just as; if not more nervous than you :). I don't think presentations are anything you can really get away from (in any course). They also are generally very relaxed.

Thanks , I suppose I can't really escape the presentation thing, as scary as it might be.
    Thanks for your advise, I think you might have reassured me and given me the confidence to give this a shot :-)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irishgirl78

Hi I'm doing the course full time. Don't panic about presenting everyone is in the same boat. It's an important thing to be able to do as one way or another talking to others will be part of your job. I never did any other IT/Computers course before. You will do some exams with Full-time students. Do bear that in mind as one could be on a Saturday. The college is great, many of my lecturers teach the part-time course and are easy to approach if need be.

• Advertisement

Hi I'm doing the course full time. Don't panic about presenting everyone is in the same boat. It's an important thing to be able to do as one way or another talking to others will be part of your job. I never did any other IT/Computers course before. You will do some exams with Full-time students. Do bear that in mind as one could be on a Saturday. The college is great, many of my lecturers teach the part-time course and are easy to approach if need be.

Thanks for your reply. What does the presentation involve? I just can't believe I would have to do a presentation after just 3 weeks haha.

Thanks

Mike

I am trying to remember I'm heading into third year so 1st year well for that subject ain't do fresh. We learnt about the different types of companies, sole trader, private limited etc. Ah we had to create a company explaining what it is we do, what sector we are in, how many people work in it. All that we learnt in the lectures then present it as a group. Not sure if part-time has the exact same theme. Everyone was nervous doing it, but you get used to it. Have a couple of flash cards with key words on them. Don't read your notes. I have to present my project in May, so it's important to feel confident. I was out of education for 15 years and many others have been out longer, don't let that put you off.

I am trying to remember I'm heading into third year so 1st year well for that subject ain't do fresh. We learnt about the different types of companies, sole trader, private limited etc. Ah we had to create a company explaining what it is we do, what sector we are in, how many people work in it. All that we learnt in the lectures then present it as a group. Not sure if part-time has the exact same theme. Everyone was nervous doing it, but you get used to it. Have a couple of flash cards with key words on them. Don't read your notes. I have to present my project in May, so it's important to feel confident. I was out of education for 15 years and many others have been out longer, don't let that put you off.

Thanks so much for your replies I really appreciate it and you've settled my nerves I think :-)

Think I will bite the bullet and give this a shot!

Thanks again

Mike

Glad I could help.

Advertisement