Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance For 17 year old Male.

Options
  • 08-01-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My 17 year old son is wanting to get on the road. Could someone please recommend a car insurance company, that doesn't penalize him too badly before he even gets started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I've been told Quinn and 123.ie are the best for young males. Not too sure myself as I haven't checked but worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it as a named driver or on his own policy, any idea on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Sashmo

We're just at square ONE on this. Theory test booked for later this month. More than likely named driver ... family car unsuitable 1.9tdi. Possibly get a one litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Start calling insurers before you buy any motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I found Axa and Aviva to both be reasonable, Axa the better of the two recently for me. It may be cheaper to put him on the family car as opposed to a new car with zero no claims bonus, plus the cost of running an extra car.

• Advertisement

. It may be cheaper to put him on the family car as opposed to a new car with zero no claims bonus, plus the cost of running an extra car.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Paddy001. We've enquired with our own insurance ... they just laugh. I think it's because of the 1.9, which would be dangerous in the hands of a 17 year old.

He's got a weekend job thankfully and worked over his Christmas holidays, back to school in the morning and hasn't had one lie-in. He's sparing every cent he's got so I'm hoping he'll be totally funding all this because to be honest we can't afford to do it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If you had a second motor in the family, you could name him onto that policy. Also makes for a handy run a round for you.

Thanks for all the above advice.

As our car insurance is up for renewal next month we made enquiries with them. To put him on ours there's a "family" type package through Axa that covers him to drive our car at the cost of 1,000.

We'd be more than happy with this. He simply won't get a decent deal for another 8 years!!! So there won't be a second car there for him to swan off to meet the lads and what have you. So WE'RE happy with this, the youngfella might have a different opinion but you win some you lose some!

Thanks again Cheers.

Advertisement