Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 3008 1.6 HDi sx...am I mad to consider buying one?

• 10-01-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    As above; the wife likes it, it drives suprisingly well and appears to be a good family car option. Am I mad to consider it? Two years old, reasonable mileage, know to previous owner. If anyone has any opinions I would be glad to hear them, especially if you own one. Thanks in advance. Especially interested in reliability and resale value!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

i'm a very happy owner of a 2011 5008 - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Doctor C

Hi Bif,

I bought a new 3008 hdi this time last year. It's a nice drive although the suspension is a little hard compared to the Citroen C5 I had previously. MPG is not as good either, ranging from 43 to 51 mpg depending on driving style.

I particularly like the cruise control and the seating and driving position are very comfortable. There is also plenty of boot space.

Mechanically I have had no problems with 22,000 Kms on the clock.

Can't comment on the resale value as I bought from new.

Good luck with your decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭cdublin

We have a Peugeot 407 and as mentioned on another thread here I've been disappointed with electronics letting me down. Could be just my car but its very frustrating and expensive to keep rectifying.
    I now drive around with with various beeping noises!!! (coming from the dash..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Doctor C wrote: »
    Hi Bif,

I bought a new 3008 hdi this time last year. It's a nice drive although the suspension is a little hard compared to the Citroen C5 I had previously. MPG is not as good either, ranging from 43 to 51 mpg depending on driving style.

I particularly like the cruise control and the seating and driving position are very comfortable. There is also plenty of boot space.

Mechanically I have had no problems with 22,000 Kms on the clock.

Can't comment on the resale value as I bought from new.

Good luck with your decision[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply. Can you say a bit more on the mpg e.g. Best / worst...what kind of driving, which engine, manual or auto. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Doctor C

Hi again,

The engine I have is a 1.6 hdi. When I got the car last year the mpg was about 46. This improved over the next few months to 53 and has since dropped back to an average of 48/49. It dropped once to 43mpg but I cannot remember what type of driving I was doing at that time. Overall the average mpg has been in the region of 48/49 which is not bad I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

If you are buying second hand, make sure that there is a full service history.
    It will be critical that the correct type of oil was used.

The 1.6 hdi is renowned for giving trouble if the wrong type of oil is used. Expensive trouble, like oil starvation to the turbo etc.
    My mechanic has two engines (both 1.6 PSA's) sitting on his garage floor. One needs a new turbo and I'm not sure what's wrong with the second one.
    However, he tells me that both were not cared for, as not serviced correctly.

Please don't get me wrong - they are good engines, they are used in commercial vans, Citroen's, Peugeots, Fords and Volvo cars. There are millions in use today. However, when buying a relatively new (2 years) old car, make sure that the correct oil was used and the service schedule was adhered to.
    If it was, you should have no problem with the engine.
    I cannot comment on the car itself, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

cadaliac wrote: »
    If you are buying second hand, make sure that there is a full service history.
    It will be critical that the correct type of oil was used.

The 1.6 hdi is renowned for giving trouble if the wrong type of oil is used. Expensive trouble, like oil starvation to the turbo etc.
    My mechanic has two engines (both 1.6 PSA's) sitting on his garage floor. One needs a new turbo and I'm not sure what's wrong with the second one.
    However, he tells me that both were not cared for, as not serviced correctly.

Please don't get me wrong - they are good engines, they are used in commercial vans, Citroen's, Peugeots, Fords and Volvo cars. There are millions in use today. However, when buying a relatively new (2 years) old car, make sure that the correct oil was used and the service schedule was adhered to.
    If it was, you should have no problem with the engine.
    I cannot comment on the car itself, sorry.

+1, they're perfectly reliable provided they are serviced on time and with the correct oil, an alien concept to many Irish motorists it has to be said. They're a great engine once they're looked after, much better than a lot of modern CR diesels once they get the necessary TLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

Was about to start haggling but looked at the service book with the car and there were no service stamps. Have decided to leave it. Thanks to all who replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Bif wrote: »
    Was about to start haggling but looked at the service book with the car and there were no service stamps. Have decided to leave it. Thanks to all who replied.

Books aren't always stamped. A car that new, the servicing was probably at a main dealer, who will have full details on computer. Worth checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Books aren't always stamped. A car that new, the servicing was probably at a main dealer, who will have full details on computer. Worth checking.

+1, however if a phone call to a main dealer shows up nothing then it is best to walk away. The 1.6 HDi is one of the best diesels out there for reliability provided you service it on time every time and use the proper oil. Don't look after it and you will pay the price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Parents bought one a couple of years ago. Have put up over 50K Kms without a problem. Lovely interior in them and nice engine with plenty of poke (relatively speaking) and good economy. I would be surprised if a two year old one would not have been serviced in accordance with the schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

+1, however if a phone call to a main dealer shows up nothing then it is best to walk away. The 1.6 HDi is one of the best diesels out there for reliability provided you service it on time every time and use the proper oil. Don't look after it and you will pay the price!

indeed and no excuse with the deals at the main dealers. Mine does 4 services for the price of 3, making it not a lot more than a ton for a serice on my 5008. BTW I wouldn't be without my cruise control now either!

Advertisement