Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do you know you need new brake pads?

Options
  • 13-01-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

The brakes of my car have gone a bit softer than they used to be but its not too bad, no excessive squeeking or anything and the car still stops fine. But i've been wondering how do you know when ur car needs new brake pads?

I just don't wanna spend unnecessary money on my car. Just gotta keep it going for one more year and then i'll be looking into getting a Lotus Elise!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Have you looked at the pads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Some have a sensor like my car but its highly unreliable. Sometimes you can see how much is left on the pads by looking through the wheel and in behind the wheel. Else you will have to remove the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The elise is a car that generally requires a very hands on type of owner.

With regards to your brakes, if they feel soft then its nothing to do with pads or disks. You may have a brake fluid leak with obvious dangers.

What level is your brake fluid at and was condition where your pads at the last service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Many cars have a metal part which acts as an audible wear indicator.
    Once the pads are worn down to the limit this piece of metal rubs against the disc (I believe its the disc it contacts) and produces a squeeling/ringing noise.

You may also hear this noise when cornering such as on a roundabout if excessive brake dust has built up.

But of course the only real way to know is to have a look or get a mechanic to check for you. The other cause could be knackered brake fluid. Brake fluid is supposed to be replaced every x years, but I expect a lot of people don't do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

good sign is when you have to use the rear of the car in front of you to stop:D

I think even old cars have a thin piece of metal that will scrape the disc and make a high pitch whine. but thats when they are worn badly. just have a gawk at em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

so you dont know much about cars and you want a lotus elise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

so you dont know much about cars and you want a lotus elise?

You need to know a lot about cars if you have a lotus elise cause they give so much trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well its my first car so i don't have much experience maintaining cars although i have learnt significantly from mine.

I check all the fluids in my car regularly and there's no change in the break fluid. Maybe i'm just imagining the brakes have gone soft as the brakes on my car have always been on the softer side. I'll try looking through the wheels if i can see the pads but they seem to be fairly well hidden behind thr callipers...

Does the elise give a lot of trouble? I thought it'ld be fairly reliable as its got a toyota engine. I've always wanted an elise. Wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty on it as it'll be worth it. I like my puma too butbits just a bit too bruised and battered for me to do much for it. Just keep it going till it finally dies as i can't afford to spend more money on it. It won't be worth it. Though it keeps going like clockwork. Its never let me down so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

brakes going soft
    you say fluid ok so there is a small rubber pipe going to the brakes master cylinder to the back of the altenator or could go to engine but most time the altenator check this to see is it worn as the can wear out due to old age and engine heat if it is worn maybe you are not getting the vacum that the brakes need to operate properly..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Toyota = mass produced in Japan
    Lotus = Hand made in England.

The English arent exactly renowned for making reliable cars. I know. I own one.

The Lotus Elise is a fantastic car however, just buy a good one, treat it well and expect to have to give it more attention. Budget for that too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement