Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hex Bugs

Options
  • 05-12-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not exactly sure what these things are but all I know is that I want one.
    They look amazing. It's the perfect time now too to buy them because you can just let on you're buying them for your little brother or something. :DThese things will be bigger than Pogs, I'm calling it now.
    Tell me I'm not on my own here!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ummm my gf picked me up one as a part of my christmas present last year, has been used once.

Although the electronics in them could be handy for a side project

just not sure what kind yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

danniemcq wrote: »
    ummm my gf picked me up one as a part of my christmas present last year, has been used once.

Although the electronics in them could be handy for a side project

just not sure what kind yet though
    How the hell do they work. They seem to have a mind of their own!
    Are they not as good as they look on the ad then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Have these not been around for years, or have you only watched this ad recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Got about 10 of them, they are so pointless.

How the hell do they work. They seem to have a mind of their own!
    Are they not as good as they look on the ad then?

oh and for anyone that doesn't know what they are they have 4 "wheels" on either side and go forward till the feelers touch something and then they reverse till they hit something.

As there is no real traction they spin and turn etc before crashing again

like a woman in parking in a multi story carpark

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    Have these not been around for years, or have you only watched this ad recently?
    I've just seen the ad on RTE there. I don't really watch much TV, not out of any moral high ground or anything, just because I think everything on TV now is crap:rolleyes:
    decisions wrote: »
    Got about 10 of them, they are so pointless.
    Is it not amazing to have all 10 of them going crazy on a table though.

danniemcq wrote: »
    oh and for anyone that doesn't know what they are they have 4 "wheels" on either side and go forward till the feelers touch something and then they reverse till they hit something.

As there is no real traction they spin and turn etc before crashing again

like a woman in parking in a multi story carpark
    Lmao - Important to get the casual sexist dig in! :p:p I Lol'd though!!:pac:

hmmm I'm not sure if I want them now. You've ruined it for me I think:(

Lmao - Important to get the casual sexist dig in! :p:p I Lol'd though!!:pac:

hmmm I'm not sure if I want them now. You've ruined it for me I think:(

ah sure had to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Naykid

Had one in my hand in Hamleys yesterday. I didnt see any wheels on them. Maybe these are a new batch. They appear to vibrate like mental on a load of little rubber legs and the angle of the legs seems to be what gives them forward motion. Thats just my 2 Cents.

Edit,
    I could be wrong after looking at a video of them :(

Edit ++
    No, Im right. heres the official scoop.
    How it works. The motor inside the Nano rotates a counterweight that causes forces up and down. The down force causes the legs to bend and the Nano moves forward. The up force causes the creature to hop lifting the front legs off the ground and allowing the legs to unbend. This up and down movement repeats several hundred times per second causing the Nano to move forward. The Nano creature's ability to flip over by itself is due to the rotating forces caused by the motor and the unique internal and external chassis design (and a little magic).

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Stick a battery and an offset motor on the head of a toothbrush and you have your very own homemade version

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I've just seen the ad on RTE there. I don't really watch much TV, not out of any moral high ground or anything, just because I think everything on TV now is crap:rolleyes:

Is it not amazing to have all 10 of them going crazy on a table though.

Hold on, tv is crap, but hexbugs look amazing? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

184187.jpg

Advertisement