Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Offers.... Lets hear.

Options
  • 20-08-2002 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Go now! They've been there all day, just not announced!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

so how did ye all do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

/me dances around the room!!!!

Let me be the first to say: YES!!!!!!

First Round points: 460

I got 480.

:):):):):):):):)

BSc Financial Mathematics with Economics in NUI Galway here I come!!! (1st choice)

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I can't believe what I'm seeing. This has to be the biggest drop in over 5 years since I did my LC. When I was doing my LC, IT in NUIG was around 440 AFAIK. Now it's bloody 225! :eek:

I don't know if this is a good thing or bad, beacuse you could argue either way. But what I will say, and in favour of those of you that are applying to computing courses, is good luck. I remember when I was applying I knew that I had done rather bad in the LC, and hoped that my interest and enthusiasm would get me through doors (unfortunately not). I ended up witha lousy 320, and had buggered my CAO form to boot. But getting back on track I knew what I wanted to do. I didn't get in @ first, but went through an Electronic Eng. course that I didn't like (well, first year), and eventually made my way in to computers (software dev.) It was a long journey, and I impressed some people that were previously skeptic of my abilities along the way (ie. I showed them silly admin muppets :)).

The moral or my story is that hopefully this points drop will let those of you who are computer heads/geeks get in to computing courses, especially if chemistry or history wasn't your thing (because they sure as hell weren't mine).

[edit]
    Congrats Fio, I will finally get to meet you. I'm a mate of Dav's and have heard nothing but good. Glad to hear you're on your way to The City of The Tribes. ;)
    [/edit]

;-phobos-)

Your TV Licence... just 59 cent a day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Bah I've missed my degree choices by 15 pts but I'll get the tests rechecked! I still have Carlow degree which is cool

I have more then enough for all my diplomas which lead into the degrees so its scool

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Crud.

MH101 Arts 365*

I got 365.
    Are the odds with me, or against me here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Missed my first choice (Business and French TCD) by 5 points. Well I never thought I had a chance anyway, last year it was at 510 and this year at 480 (got 475). I suppose I'll have to settle for Business and German in TCD (last year 440, this year only 380)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well i got my course :D theoretical physics 500pts
    but overall i dislike the points so many of my m8's have been ****ed over by the increase in vetanary and physiotherapy...don't think anyone expected 545pts from ul

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Looks like its either Dundalk or Athlone for me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Woohoo!!!!!!

I'm sooo happy. I got my number 1 choice. I'm going to trinity to do Computer Science... :D
    A hard year repeating well spent....

Good luck to the rest of you and I hope you have as much joy as I have right now(and hello any new 1st year buddies that have got a place too :) ).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Congrats.. did you check yours online at www.coa.ie ?
    Seems heafty busy for me..!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Its not looking good for me :(
    Why am I so dumb..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

that's cause you are looking for www.cao.ie oj :p

i see no slowdown for the server..but then again i'm on broadband.you would think the cao would get some more bandwidth for today wouldnt you?like a 10mbps line with 100mbps burstable :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

LM069 Degree Computer Engineering Valid until 28-AUG-2002

rar! Firts choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by embraer170
    Missed my first choice (Business and French TCD) by 5 points. Well I never thought I had a chance anyway, last year it was at 510 and this year at 480 (got 475). I suppose I'll have to settle for Business and German in TCD (last year 440, this year only 380)

There's more rounds to come lads. 5 points.....there's a chance you may be offered it later. Accept the B & G though. if B & F comes up you can still accept it.......

kamobe - it's 50:50, unfortunately.

Congrats all, and don't stress not getting such and such a course - there's plenty more rounds to come!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Gahh! Only Diploma courses for me. Bollocks to that anyway. I applied for them to have something to fall back on, bloody typical.

Think I should take it to save the bother, its Computer Applications & Support in DKIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Originally posted by OJ
    Its not looking good for me :(
    Why am I so dumb..
    I can sympathise, i'm in the same boat. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I was under the impression that when you accepted the round 1 offer you were exempt from further round(s) which is round 2 and another if necessary.

/slightly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by chernobyl
    I was under the impression that when you accepted the round 1 offer you were exempt from further round(s) which is round 2 and another if necessary.

/slightly confused.

No.....it all works like this.

You stated your preferences for at most 10 degree courses and 10 diploma courses.

First Round (ie today):
    You should receive a formal offer via snail mail (I'm not sure if you do if you applied on line) that shows your points, and which degree and diploma courses you have qualified for. You are now exempt from all courses which you chose *below* these.

For example, let's say you got 300 points. You receive an offer for a degree course which was your fifth preference, and a diploma course which was your third preference. Whether you accept these or not, there is now no way you will be offered any courses lower than your fifth degree preference, and no diploma courses lower than your 3rd preference.

You can only accept a diploma or degree offer, not both. Let's say you accept your degree offer here.

Any subsequent Rounds:

If any of the courses higher in preference to the one you have previously been offered, drop in points, low enough for you to accept it, you will be offered it.

For example, let's say in round 3, your 2nd degree preference comes up trumps, and drops to 295. But lo and behold, your first diploma preference also drops to 295.

You will receive a formal offer for both of these courses. Now you cannot be offered any courses below these preferences, BUT! you can stay with the acceptance you've made of your fifth preference degree course. Or you're free to choose either the new degree offer or new diploma offer.

This process conintues for an indefinite no. of rounds until the courses are all filled.

Still confused?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Nope, if you accept a round 1 offer you can still be offered a course in round 2.
    What a lot of peopel get confused about is thinking if they ignore the round 1 offer, and the round 2 offer isn't one they want either, that they can accept the round 1 offer.
    (if that makes any sense).

Anyways, basically, accepting a round 1 offer does not exempt you from a round 2 offer. Dont ignore something you want to do on the off-chance that something better will come along in round 2..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Got one of my degree courses :D

what was the maths needed for Computer Science in Trinity could some 1 tell me? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Accepted Offer : TR035 (Degree) - Theoretical Physics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Got my first choice, UCD mathematical science. Points went up to 550 (!), ouch! So happy I got it though. Congrats to everyone.

Got my first choice, didn't think I was gona get it because I only had 5 points more than required.. and got a nice IT very close to me.. Tallaght! :D

Happy enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Congrats to everyone who got their first choices.
    I applied for Forensics in Limerick and i missed getting it by 45 points, so its back to third year in computer electronics for me. I can hardly contain my excitement (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I got my first choice of Computer Science in UCC (dropped to 310) with nearly 200 points to spare :P Methinks they might have to start bolting down all the lab equipment now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dave_l

I got my first choice :)
    Going to DCU to study Computer apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    what was the maths needed for Computer Science in Trinity could some 1 tell me? :P

I think it was C3H, I wish they could drop that to High Ord.
    Can anyone see this happening?

When the the 2nd round offers get made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by kamobe
    Crud.

MH101 Arts 365*

I got 365.
    Are the odds with me, or against me here?

With you. You may get it on the first round.

If you don't the points don't even have to drop (just be available to all with 365) for you to pick it up on the second or third.

Frankly I'd be really really really surprised if you didn't get it in the first two rounds.

Advertisement