Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on getting planning permission for 1930s corpo house extension

• 16-04-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am currently working with a team of builders wrt getting planning permission to add a side extension to a 1930's corporation house, similar to those found in crumlin, drimnagh, whitehall, donnycarney etc etc.. We want to turn it into a 3 bed essentially. My builder & I differ on the front design of the house, he thinks his design would be more likely to get planning but I hate it and think that my idea is more in keeping with the style of the house as is currently, he thinks the opposite is true. Can anyone advise as to whether a quick phone call to DCC planning might help? Do they deal with phone queries? Perhaps, as it's such a common house type, they have some suggested designs that are deemed acceptable.. Any advice would be much appreciated, I would be really disappointed to have to proceed with the front of the house as designed by my builder. Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why in the name of God is the builder having any input into the design of the house?
    He will only be interested in getting you to go with the most profitable option for him.
    Get simple sketches of both front layouts or just type layout drawn up - very basic and have a word with planning department as a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

thanks for reply Mick - I should clarify - they are builders but also offer design service, have architect as part of company etc so they essentially draw up plans after discussion with us re our needs and we are just at the stage now of trying to agree on what will work best for us.
    After design process is complete, their QS will price build in great detail and at this point we can tender out to other builders to get best price, we have no agreement with them to actually do our build.
    Is it possible to just call planning dept and discuss what is and isn't likely to be passed by planning? As I said, it's a 1930s corpo house, so not like a one-off unusual house. I just find the frontage that they have come up with very cluttered with an extra window to the front that just looks odd to me and I know I would hate!

So do Dublin City take phone queries re this kind of thing?
    Thx again

Don't know about your planning authority but some of them have one morning a week where toy can walk in without appointment. You can certainly meet them by appointment.
    Call up office and ask.

Great, thx for that - I will call them in the morning. I had kind of assumed they wouldn't take any queries, that you had to submit & hope for this best but great to know that you can discuss before submitting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I'm very sceptical of builder/arch combined service. If you have a problem with the design you should be talking to YOUR architect and They should be talking to the planning authority ideally with you present/ in the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

SlinkyL wrote: »
    I am currently working with a team of builders wrt getting planning permission to add a side extension to a 1930's corporation house, similar to those found in crumlin, drimnagh, whitehall, donnycarney etc etc.. We want to turn it into a 3 bed essentially. My builder & I differ on the front design of the house, he thinks his design would be more likely to get planning but I hate it and think that my idea is more in keeping with the style of the house as is currently, he thinks the opposite is true. Can anyone advise as to whether a quick phone call to DCC planning might help? Do they deal with phone queries? Perhaps, as it's such a common house type, they have some suggested designs that are deemed acceptable.. Any advice would be much appreciated, I would be really disappointed to have to proceed with the front of the house as designed by my builder. Thx

PM me your exact address and I'll get you the name and number of the person you need to talk to ;)

Edit : reason I need your address is so I can get the planner for your specific area.

BryanF wrote: »
    I'm very sceptical of builder/arch combined service. If you have a problem with the design you should be talking to YOUR architect and They should be talking to the planning authority ideally with you present/ in the loop.
    Yes I've seen quite a number of botch jobs from these kinds of service providers. The brochures/ website will look good, The paperwork will look good offering dedicated manager on your job with full team of professional staff with full certification on completion.
    The reality is often very different. Shoddy work with suspect construction detailing all certified by in house Architect.
    No doubt the architect or engineer should be working for you looking after your interests, not those of building company.

I appreciate the advice, I do feel that they should be chasing down planning not me however I know what I want and I won't be bulldozed into doing anything or proceeding if I'm not happy. thanks again, great to come on here and get advice

Advertisement