Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adivce On Guitar Sound

• 01-11-2004 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

any tips or links to places where you are advised on how to get a killer tone and all that malarky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Start with the most basic tone you can get, and work on it while listening carefully. Figure out whats wrong with the tone and adjust. If you can't get the exact tone you want, it might be a case of a less than capable amp or guitar or both!

Listening hard and taking your time is the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Buy a good guitar with good pickups and as good an amp as you can realistically afford. You don't really get great tone with cheap gear. you get what you pay for. Avoid drastic EQ shapes and don't make the common Rock/Metal guitarist mistake of taking all the mids out. A gentle mid scoop can be a good thing but exaggerated EQ'ing means something is badly wrong.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

At the moment, I'm slightly cutting mids while boosting bass and treb and it's a pretty nice sound :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

there is absolutely no "general" setting when it comes to guitar tones, it depends entirely on your guitar and amp, and if your looking for a clean or distorted tone obviously, also if your using any pedals. and who says if i like a tone that you will like it? its all personal preference. but if your aiming for a specific tone give an example by refence to a certain guitarist of song, and wat equipment your usin and then answers can be got :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Right now I'm keeping the low-end mid to low, the mids medium and the treble very slightly boosted. It makes for a really nice tight crunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Any examples of the kind of tone you're trying to get, dimerocks?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess, from his username, that he is a Diamond Darrell fan. Ooops, I meant Dimebag Darrell :p

And imo, Dimebag has one of the worst tones ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

darrell has a very defined tone, not one to be f*cked with, but its a bit like Marmite.... ya love it or ya hate it! Got better on RTS though...

TBH, sounds like a swarm of angry bees to me

*cue flaming*

I wouldn't say it's the worst, that honour has to go to Jeff Waters on Annihilator's 'Waking The Fury' cd. Really, if you haven't heard this then you haven't heard terrible tone.

Diamond's tone isn't the worst, though it's far from the best.

• Advertisement

Any particular song?

I hate the way people hold Diamond's tone in such high esteem. I just don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yeah, his tone is pretty crappy. You can really tell he was using solid state amps :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

my set up is a ****e squier and ****e warlock. i am a poor student and needed something cheap both humbuckers and singlecoil needed. andway i play through a marshallavt100 which i sold so much stuff to get and a me50 multi effects.
    what i wants is something thick but not too heavy for riffs and a really warm tone for solos
    influences- dime, zakk wylde, jerry cantrell, james dean bradfield, graham coxon, slash its a varied guitarist i listen to, yarghh
    as for dime i love his tone with pantera he did use a very thick noise gratting but its a bit more midended now

dimerocks wrote:
    its a bit more midended now

Isn't that a paradox? Or is it an oxymoron?

Anyway, if you can't get a good sound out of that gear, there's something very very wrong. Try using the variation of the DS-1 (three quarters gain) on the ME-50 with about 5-6 bass, 3-4 mids and 6-7 treble. Add some reverb to taste. Then mess around from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I set my amp like this: Treble - 10; Bass - 3; Medium - 5

I have my tone knob on my Epiphhone Special turned up all the way.

I like the sound it makes.....

Treble up all the way? Ouch!

Seriously man, that's an unhealthy amount of high frequencies. I'm not being smart or taking the piss here, but I think you really ought to get your hearing checked out. That sort of treble would be remarkably uncomfortable unless you weren't hearing those frequencies well.

Could be the electronics in the Epiphone or it could be a dodgy amp either...

Could be, but I'd make bloody sure my ears weren't the problem. That amp setting should mean blinding, screeching pain, like a banshee getting kicked in the ribs.

Unless it's a little 10W practice amp that's never turned up loud..

• Advertisement

Meh, even so, it'd be a quiet banshee getting kicked in the ribs and it should still be grating to the ear. You can't take chances with your ears, once they're ****ed, they're ****ed for good. Get em checked out, just to be safe.

Aye, good advice that. Listen to him, he's a Doctor :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

could be a bass amp, i play guitar and bass through the same bass amp. for the bass i set it neutral and let the bass pod do the work but for guitar i have to lash the treble up to the last coz its got no tweeter, horn or whatever you wanna call dem high frequency yolkies and it opens up the top end just enough for comfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

Try Bass around 7/8, MId around 2/3 and Treble around 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

This reminds me of Spinal Tap.

Nigel: "This is a top to what we use on stage, but it's very, very special because, if you can see, the numbers all go to 11. Look, right across the board: 11, 11, 11."

Marty: "And most amps go up to 10."

Nigel: "Exactly."

Marty: "Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?"

Nigel: "Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

brilliant :D:D

eoin5 wrote:
    could be a bass amp, i play guitar and bass through the same bass amp. for the bass i set it neutral and let the bass pod do the work but for guitar i have to lash the treble up to the last coz its got no tweeter, horn or whatever you wanna call dem high frequency yolkies and it opens up the top end just enough for comfort.

not if it's a marshall avt

Doctor J wrote:
    not if it's a marshall avt

true, my brother had a valvestate (predecessor to avt) and with treble on 10 it would indeed sound like your average pack of screaming schoolchildren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

The AVT100 aint a bad amp by any stretch of imagination .. if that's what you're suggesting ? I had the model above it at one stage.. the 275, and I used to get great sound from it.

Try the suggested settings that come in the booklet with the amp, sit down and prick about with the amp for a few hours.. sure ye'd be as long surfing the net for advice as you would actully..playing with the sound on yer amp. It's the equivilant of asking 'Can you reccomend any sites, where I can learn what my girlfriend likes in bed?' Jesus ... throw her on the bed and say 'How do ya want it baby?!'

Tom.

NeMiSiS wrote:
    The AVT100 aint a bad amp by any stretch of imagination .. if that's what you're suggesting ?

God, no. The valvestate was the definition of crunch, a lovely warm sounding amp for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i borrowed my friends valvestate for the summer and had bot of them running of the me50. the valvestate has a far warmer tone i think but there is nothing wrong the avt100.i can't really think what my settings are of the top of my head but i shll muck about with them ones i think anyway. need a new guitar still thoguht, anybody selling something half decent??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Might sell you my RG in a little while, when I get the funds together to buy something better.

Advertisement