Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air tightness question

Options
  • 16-04-2014 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I have solid block walls both upstairs and downstairs in my new build. I am wondering do i need to seal behind the sockets and switches on internal walls to make the house airtight or do i just need to do it on external walls?

I ask this as i realize blocks are porous and when they are tied in to the external walls then are they a passage for air to leak?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There's no need to work on airtightness on internal walls behind sockets etc - it's the external envelope and roof that is key.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I am wondering do i need to seal behind the sockets and switches on internal walls to make the house airtight or do i just need to do it on external walls?
    ive heard mention of a rule of thumb:o that within a meter of the external wall connection you would address this

• Registered Users Posts: 37 john f 4g63

BryanF wrote: »
    ive heard mention of a rule of thumb:o that within a meter of the external wall connection you would address this

Something like this is what i was thinking as surly if air can get through blocks on the 4 inch way then it can on the length way as well. Unless the mortar between the blocks stops air traveling through the walls?

What about at internal door openings, Taught i read somewhere that the frames should be taped to the wall or is there no need for this if the opening is further then a meter as well?

Something like this is what i was thinking as surly if air can get through blocks on the 4 inch way then it can on the length way as well.
    1. Unless the mortar between the blocks stops air traveling through the walls?
    2. What about at internal door openings, Taught i read somewhere that the frames should be taped to the wall or is there no need for this if the opening is further then a meter as well?

1. not really
    2. internal openings near the external walls you might want to look at skim coat. but:
    i think you need to be pragmatic about air-tightness. before we answer your questions, let me ask you some
    • have you got 1:10 details of all major external fabric junctions?
    • have you a detailed scope of work/specification that calls out your air-tightness strategy, materials and standard of air-tightness required under contract?
    • have you discussed your air-tightness requirements with an experienced tester?
    • what level of air-tightness are you actually trying to achieve
    • and have you got the basics correct and considered?

[/LIST]
    1. not really
    2. internal openings near the external walls you might want to look at skim coat. but:
    i think you need to be pragmatic about air-tightness. before we answer your questions, let me ask you some
    • have you got 1:10 details of all major external fabric junctions?
    • have you a detailed scope of work/specification that calls out your air-tightness strategy, materials and standard of air-tightness required under contract?
    • have you discussed your air-tightness requirements with an experienced tester?
    • what level of air-tightness are you actually trying to achieve
    • and have you got the basics correct and considered?

I suppose the simple answer to most of the questions is "No" and that is why i am on here looking for some advise. :)
    I have however spoken to an air tightness guy and he has helped with most the details which need to be addressed. I have no actual air tightness figure in mind but i am planning on going in to as much detail as possible to make it as airtight as i can..

• Advertisement

I suppose the simple answer to most of the questions is "No" and that is why i am on here looking for some
    1. advise. :)
    2. I have however spoken to an air tightness guy and he has helped with most the details which need to be addressed.
    3. I have no actual air tightness figure in mind but
    4. i am planning on going in to as much detail as possible to make it as airtight as i can..

1. get an arch/ arch tech to do 1:10 details of all major junctions and to prepare performance spec for your builder/ air-tightness installer (even if that is you)
    2. most? what has been written down. and who responsibility is it to achieve air tightness (no1 will answer this)
    3. set one - it assists in deciding heating and mvhr loads
    4. that's a fine sentiment at the start of a project but these things get diluted during the actual building phase unless builder & you are clear on the roles and responsibilities associated with item no1

[/LIST]
    1. get an arch/ arch tech to do 1:10 details of all major junctions and to prepare performance spec for your builder/ air-tightness installer (even if that is you)
    2. most? what has been written down. and who responsibility is it to achieve air tightness (no1 will answer this)
    3. set one - it assists in deciding heating and mvhr loads
    4. that's a fine sentiment at the start of a project but these things get diluted during the actual building phase unless builder & you are clear on the roles and responsibilities associated with item no1

Thanks for the advice.

Don't worry i have no plans on skipping any details as have no bother holding up the job until things are done right. They all take time but only get one chance to get it right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

just a question
    watching this post from the electrial forum point of view whats best practice for air tightness sealing around socket boxs
    anyone got a detail link

just a question
    watching this post from the electrial forum point of view whats best practice for air tightness sealing around socket boxs
    anyone got a detail link
    search 'air-tightness socket box inserts electrical' or something similar
    also see

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056774873

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18749,en.pdf

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/217736/0091327.pdf

and i found this in the 2010 construction studies paper:cool:
    Consider using proprietary gasket/grommet socket boxes and
    membranes
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2010/LC029ALP000EV.pdf

Advertisement