Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic questions

Options
  • 16-04-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm in the process of converting my attic to storage. It had fiber glass wool laid on top. So we built up the slats and pushed the fiber glass into it. Just a little bit of compaction.

While doing this I noticed that the attic ceiling had a few tears in it. The wind comes through this. The house is 35 years old. Is this normal? I was thinking of repairing them but I wonder are they done to prevent condensation?

Also with the floor now insulated would it be worth insulating the rafters with something like kingspan or is it pointless as the attic floors are insulated?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Sniipe wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in the process of converting my attic to storage. It had fiber glass wool laid on top. So we built up the slats and pushed the fiber glass into it. Just a little bit of compaction.

While doing this I noticed that the attic ceiling had a few tears in it. The wind comes through this. The house is 35 years old.
    1. Is this normal?
    2. I was thinking of repairing them but I wonder are they done to prevent condensation?
    3. Also with the floor now insulated would it be worth insulating the rafters with something like kingspan or is it pointless as the attic floors are insulated?

1. yes, its normal, the roof is 35 years old. it should be easy to repair assuming you deflect any water correctly
    2. i doubt they were done to prevent condensation, i assume there is a gap at the eaves for ventilation?
    3. are you heating this storage space? if not then why insulate the rafters? wouldn't it be better to add additional insulation at ceiling level?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Thanks for the replies. It seemed deliberate and they were uniform in size, which is why I was wondering.
    I will have to look for ventilation in the eves. If there isn't then would the wholes make sense?
    I won't be heating the storage space, however I imagine I've lost some degree of insulation while adding wood and compressing the fibreglass wool.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Sniipe wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    1. It seemed deliberate and they were uniform in size, which is why I was wondering.I will have to look for ventilation in the eves. If there isn't then would the wholes make sense?
    2. I won't be heating the storage space, however I imagine I've lost some degree of insulation while adding wood and compressing the fibreglass wool.

1. is the attic dry? if yes maybe just leave alone
    2. insulate more at ceiling level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

BryanF wrote: »
    [/LIST]
    1. is the attic dry? if yes maybe just leave alone
    2. insulate more at ceiling level
    thank BryanF, The attic is dry - I think I will leave it all alone.

Advertisement