Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Skyrim for the first time!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Taylor365 wrote: »
    WELL, was fun while it lasted....

Updated my SKSE yesterday (to include the memory fix patch) and now she crashes after loading screen.

Looks like a clean install is in order :o

Ouch!!

You won't lose any saved files will you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Ouch!!

You won't lose any saved files will you?
    Ah, only got as far as Whiterun. Level 1 so not too unhappy :D

But...if i have to sit through that Helgen crap 1 more time....i start Skyrim and go for a cupa at this stage :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah, only got as far as Whiterun. Level 1 so not too unhappy :D

But...if i have to sit through that Helgen crap 1 more time....i start Skyrim and go for a cupa at this stage :pac:

Oh, you can get a mod for that. I think it's alternate start??? Just gives you options where to start the game, doesn't affect anything else
    think this is it
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fmods%2F9557&ei=E7uJVM7SBrLZ7QbqmYC4Cg&usg=AFQjCNHMi4MXxhjQQfWb5a86jCKC8DOydw

bluewolf wrote: »
    Oh, you can get a mod for that. I think it's alternate start??? Just gives you options where to start the game, doesn't affect anything else
    I had seen that. Might give it a go :D

Also thinking of getting the legendary edition (for the DLC) as its cheaper than buying them separate. Roll on the Christmas sales! :p

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

God yeah, even if you only use the most straightforward option in 'Alternate Start' it's so worth it just to be able to avoid all the helgen crap.

• Advertisement

Sooo...I was just going to play for an hour...how'd it get to be midnight already?!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭diegroblers

I had seen that. Might give it a go :D

Also thinking of getting the legendary edition (for the DLC) as its cheaper than buying them separate. Roll on the Christmas sales! :p

I got legendary during the Summer sales for €10.19. Definitely worth waiting for the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

wont be long before the steam one, and skyrim is usually always on sale

Got a couple of funny screenshots from the game, thought I'd share them :D

I killed this Falmer and he just fell this way!

I got shot at...it was a close call! I think it makes my helmet look awesome! Wish I could've kept it!

Lol! It looks like you're having loads of fun!

• Advertisement

Lol! It looks like you're having loads of fun!

I really am!

The first time I stole something (the silver ingots in Dragonreach) my heart was pounding! Managed to get it first try though!

And I used to run and hide from dragons but now I can take them down. Those mammoths though, they are a tougher fight!

It's possible I'm clearing quests before I even get to them because I've encountered some crazy stuff like Draugr Deathlords and such! I had to reload those more than a few times but I got them in the end!

And I'm only at Level 18 :D

And I'm only at Level 18 :D
    :pac:

I've near 100 hours and I've never reached level 18.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The thing I like about robbing stuff from Dragonsreach Jarls Quarters (or any of the main city Jarl's Halls) is that you can close a door when you go into a room, which reduces your chance of getting caught. Oh and those silver ingots in Dragonsreach respawn eventually so you can always go back and rob it again later ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Very easy to get sidetracked of main questlines which can eventually come back to haunt you.

If you are playing on PS3, there is one in quest from the Companions guild, something about catching an escaped prisoner. I left that for ages, and when I went back to it, the fe*{er had dissappeared off the map to some other part of Tamaril so I couldn't complete it, and couldn't finish that quest line out. Can be fixed on PC with command line though.
    Bettr to do a few on each quest line until one has streched your skills/abilities. once completed don't ask for a new one, go do a few from another quest line and come back when you are stronger.

Just picked up the Legendary edition for €8.16 over on GMG.

Christmas is ruined! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

one that is definitely worth starting early is the 'strange stone' one, stones of barenzia. You'll get the first one in Whiterun and it'll send you to thieves guild in riften. pink stones in bronze boxes dotted around the place, one in Jarls quarter in Whiterun or the hall of the dead too. Thieves guild is also one of the best arcs. When you see a stone tap the pickup button super fast, you'll sometimes get 2 or 3 instead of 1 making things far easier.

one that is definitely worth starting early is the 'strange stone' one, stones of barenzia. You'll get the first one in Whiterun and it'll send you to thieves guild in riften. pink stones in bronze boxes dotted around the place, one in Jarls quarter in Whiterun or the hall of the dead too. Thieves guild is also one of the best arcs. When you see a stone tap the pickup button super fast, you'll sometimes get 2 or 3 instead of 1 making things far easier.

Or, if you're on PC, get the stone's marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Just got this a couple of day ago. That's where I am now, with the thives in Riften. A bit dispointed that Vex dosnt come with on missions to keep sketch.

Or, if you're on PC, get the stone's marker.

The Barenziah Quest Markers mod has changed my life! Before that I'd resorted to making a list of the stone locations from the wiki and crossing them off as I got them!

One word of caution to anyone doing the thieves guild questline, make sure you don't advance too far before you get to the stage 'Diplomatic Immunity' in the main quest line. There's some sort of bug (apparently quite common) that happens when you've advanced really far in the guild that screws up the quest progression
    at the end of Diplomatic Immunity you're supposed to meet Delphine back in Riverwood after you've escaped the Thalmor Embassy, but she doesn't show up, and no matter how long you wait she never comes. This means that you lose all the stuff you left with her when you were going to the embassy, and also the next stage of the main quest 'A Cornered Rat' doesn't start.
    It happened to me, and even with the console commands to force start the next quest, it didn't fix it. :mad:

Toots wrote: »
    The Barenziah Quest Markers mod has changed my life! Before that I'd resorted to making a list of the stone locations from the wiki and crossing them off as I got them!

One word of caution to anyone doing the thieves guild questline, make sure you don't advance too far before you get to the stage 'Diplomatic Immunity' in the main quest line. There's some sort of bug (apparently quite common) that happens when you've advanced really far in the guild that screws up the quest progression
    at the end of Diplomatic Immunity you're supposed to meet Delphine back in Riverwood after you've escaped the Thalmor Embassy, but she doesn't show up, and no matter how long you wait she never comes. This means that you lose all the stuff you left with her when you were going to the embassy, and also the next stage of the main quest 'A Cornered Rat' doesn't start.
    It happened to me, and even with the console commands to force start the next quest, it didn't fix it. :mad:

Have you got the unofficial patches?

• Advertisement

Finally! Mods installed, updated, plugins ordered and files cleaned.

Test run seems ok. Time to begin! :D

Have you got the unofficial patches?

I do. Still got that glitch for some reason, which was very annoying. :mad: I knew I was going to have to start from scratch after that, so before I did, I did a full uninstall and reinstall of the game, then all my mods and patches and now it's working grand.

Well, I've been sick this week so basically have been playing Skyrim...a lot!

I did install one mod (aside from the unofficial path), called Realistic Water Two. But other than that, I'm not modding until I've played through one.

Really enjoying it! I have a follower now, Benor, who's pretty handy in a fight and makes a good pack mule when I need to cart a lot of loot around. Also considering marriage. Not to Benor though lol.

I'm hoping the sale on Steam for Legendary will last until I can afford it, I'd love to have the DLC's waiting in the wings for when I finish a playthrough, then I can play it again and have it be different.

I'm hoping the sale on Steam for Legendary will last until I can afford it, I'd love to have the DLC's waiting in the wings for when I finish a playthrough, then I can play it again and have it be different.

I see Legendary is on Steam for €17.99. I should go down lower; I got it in the summer sales for €10.19.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PaulDBKelly

Well, I've been sick this week so basically have been playing Skyrim...a lot!

I did install one mod (aside from the unofficial path), called Realistic Water Two. But other than that, I'm not modding until I've played through one.

Really enjoying it! I have a follower now, Benor, who's pretty handy in a fight and makes a good pack mule when I need to cart a lot of loot around. Also considering marriage. Not to Benor though lol.

I picked it up around September for 7€ or so through G2A! (If I remember correctly!) Never got around to playing it on PC other than loafing some graphics mods and playing a few minutes to see the detail! I've completed it multiple times on Xbox, but I've been on WoW a lot.. I really want to start it now!

Just curious, have you gone with any guilds? I remember my first play through, I started as a warrior and before I realised, I was walking into the Mages' College.. :D Fantastic game! Dangerously immersive, but each play through can be so different, it makes it feel like a different game!

Oh, and 'sick'..? That happened to me too... Coincidence..?

I see Legendary is on Steam for €17.99. I should go down lower; I got it in the summer sales for €10.19.

I will hold out for a better sale then! I don't exactly need it right this minute so it can wait. Thanks!
    I picked it up around September for 7€ or so through G2A! (If I remember correctly!) Never got around to playing it on PC other than loafing some graphics mods and playing a few minutes to see the detail! I've completed it multiple times on Xbox, but I've been on WoW a lot.. I really want to start it now!

Just curious, have you gone with any guilds? I remember my first play through, I started as a warrior and before I realised, I was walking into the Mages' College.. :D Fantastic game! Dangerously immersive, but each play through can be so different, it makes it feel like a different game!

Oh, and 'sick'..? That happened to me too... Coincidence..?

I've joined the Thieves Guild, but without really thinking it over. I was just doing stuff, getting things done and bam, before I knew it I had fallen in with the thieves. I'm not using magic so much so I doubt I'll join the mages, although I might have to in order to complete a quest or two. We shall see.

Mostly though, I just like going around bashing monsters, and hunting dragons. Elf SMASH! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Just received the Anthology boxset in the post. Finish college next week so will be kicking back with some adventuring, until I take an arrow to the knee

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PaulDBKelly

I will hold out for a better sale then! I don't exactly need it right this minute so it can wait. Thanks!

I've joined the Thieves Guild, but without really thinking it over. I was just doing stuff, getting things done and bam, before I knew it I had fallen in with the thieves. I'm not using magic so much so I doubt I'll join the mages, although I might have to in order to complete a quest or two. We shall see.

Mostly though, I just like going around bashing monsters, and hunting dragons. Elf SMASH! :D

Nice! Maybe leave Mages' for another play through or till you've finished everything! I ended up being a '(Not Quite) Master of All Trades' so my combat didn't match the mobs and I got owned by a lot of things :/ Still great though! :D Every fight you get to decide what you want to do! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Bought this yoke for £6 yesterday, hoping it'd the one game other than FIFA to get my attention... and it has! No idea what's going on really but it's enjoyable. I'll keep this thread for future needs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Started playing this a fortnight ago and hooked now.
    Loving the thieves guild quests.

Advertisement