Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus paint

Options
  • 08-05-2013 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I looked today at my car red ford focus 07 non metallic and the bonnet paint is gone blotchy its hard to describe but there's the normal colour and then there's like lighter colour blotches all over it small circles. There not coming out I tried washing it. It's like blotches of faded paint basically. The thing is they were not there yesturday and they were there this. Ultimately is there anything I can put on it that may help or is the paint permenantly damaged. I'm sorry if this I'd hard to understand but its hard to explain. Thanks for any help ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Laquer peel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sounds like lifting clearcoat, a precursor to it starting to crack and peel away.
    Without being there it's hard to say.

If that's the problem it's already too late to "heal" it but you can prevent it from spreading.
    First take some snaps or chat to a local bodyshop to get it diagnosed.

It lit like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Biko it's like your picture but not as obvious smaller dots all over the bonnet they won't really show up on a camera. The lacquer is not actually pealing the paint work is smooth. So I can't really do anything about it. It's a bit of a pain it ruins the car it was enough to have constant mechanical problems without cosmetic ones too. It's going to the mechanics at the weekend so he could probably tell if it is the lacquer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It might be ok after a paint correction, as long as it's not gone through to the base coat.

Hal1 wrote: »
    It might be ok after a paint correction, as long as it's not gone through to the base coat.

What do you mean by paint correction ?

• Advertisement

Using a D/A machine polisher with various grade pads and some good polish maybe meguaris.

Anyways here's a before and after pic of what you can expect.

porsche-911-sc-enhancement-car-detail-surrey-all-that-gleams-10.jpg

You like, yes? :D

More info on paint correction here: http://www.detailingservices.net/correct.asp

Hal1 thanks for all the help hopefully this will work fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

If it's gone like in biko's link, respray it

dgt wrote: »
    If it's gone like in biko's link, respray it

It's not that bad now it's basically in very small faded dots almost like water marks that won't come out. Ill get it looked at by someone and see. I tried taking a photo but they don't seem to show up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Were you parked in an underground car park recently?
    While the issue sounds like lacquer peel, I've seen similar stuff happening to cars parked under pipes in an underground car park.
    It's like water spots that normal washing won't remove.

Personally I'd try a clay bar first, that worked for me on a few cars.

Failing that it's onto the polish route, then ultimately a respray if it's really bad.

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Were you parked in an underground car park recently?
    While the issue sounds like lacquer peel, I've seen similar stuff happening to cars parked under pipes in an underground car park.
    It's like water spots that normal washing won't remove.

Personally I'd try a clay bar first, that worked for me on a few cars.

Failing that it's onto the polish route, then ultimately a respray if it's really bad.

Thanks for that can clay be got in halfords any particular brand good? Is it difficult to use?

Hal1 wrote: »

Which do you recon is the better one there both roughly the same price. I can wait a few days anyway. The focus is currently at the mechanics getting a serious amount of work done to it :( hopefully this will work the marks are slight enough but just won't come of with a normal wash. I really don't want to have to start spraying anything. Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Imo, get a cheap one from Halfords/any factors. For that kind of work you won't need to make it perfect just yet, you want to make sure it will work at all.
    Even a cheaper clay will still do the job and you can move on to more serious detailing after.

There's plenty of vids on youtube how to do the actual claying.

biko wrote: »
    Imo, get a cheap one from Halfords. For that kind of work you won't need to make it perfect just yet, you want to make sure it will work at all.
    Even a cheaper clay will still do the job and you can move on to more serious detailing after.

There's plenty of vids on youtube how to do the actual claying.

Thanks for the advice ill head in to halfords next week when I get the focus back and have a look and see I'm sure they have cheaper types its probably a good idea just to get a cheap on to test it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You're in kilkenny yeah? If you want, bring it over to me some day and I'll have a go at it.

You're in kilkenny yeah? If you want, bring it over to me some day and I'll have a go at it.

Thanks for that offer mm I really appreciated it. Once I get it back from the mechanics and my exams are over ill have a proper chance to sort it. If I have no success I might take you up on your offer your detailing skills would be at a different league to mine :) thanks.

I know this is an old thread but said I'd give a final update since everyone was of great help. My uncle brought down his da at the weekend and properly went over all the paint work waxed polished etc. now it's perfect no pealing no marks seriously smooth too. I think most of the problem is the paint is not original in parts:( no point on dwelling on that. Main thing is another battle fought and won against the focus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sounds like someone fixed stone chips to me, and didn't get a 100% paint match. Being completely honest, I'd nearly take that over the state my bonnet is in from chips....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Good to hear that you managed to improve the appearance! :)
    Any pictures of the finished job? ;)

• Advertisement

Curran wrote: »
    Good to hear that you managed to improve the appearance! :)
    Any pictures of the finished job? ;)

Here's a few pics don't do it much justice though. I am shocked all the spots are gone its great.
    1041ae97-5f47-4ade-be63-948bd780084c_zps1d7eeb13.jpg

image_zpsd80cffeb.jpg

image_zpse03c51d0.jpg

image_zps65c85000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Job's a good'un!! Fair play - looks really well! Have to be happy with that! :)
    Bpmull wrote: »
    Here's a few pics don't do it much justice though. I am shocked all the spots are gone its great.

Looks alright from here :pac: Must be cracking in the flesh! :cool:

Cleanest daily work-horse Ive seen in a while!

Curran wrote: »
    Job's a good'un!! Fair play - looks really well! Have to be happy with that! :)

Looks alright from here :pac: Must be cracking in the flesh! :cool:

Cleanest daily work-horse Ive seen in a while!

Thanks. I am delighted with it. I thought the paint was ruined. But it came up better than I could have ever imagined :)

Advertisement