Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spoilers on windscreen wipers

Options
  • 05-05-2013 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Do these things perform any usefull function whatsoever?

Just replaced the wiper on my driver's side (badly needed). The silence as opposed to the rasping noise that used to accompany any operation is blissfull but the older one had a dirty great spoiler attached to it and this one doesn't. I noticed, for the first time, that the passenger side wiper has no such attachment.

Will I be losing out at all by not having one on the driver's side now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I think they help to push the wiper down onto the windscreen for better contact and better wiping. You might find that at higher speed the blade doesn't quite push down as well onto the glass so your wiping is a little less effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

When on the Motorway the wiper will skip across the windscreen leaving water behind as other poster said it helps push wiper to make better contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The spoilers are usually on the older metal bridge blades. You can now upgrade these to the newer flat blades. The idea is to push the wiper onto the windscreen and help clear the water properly. It is normal for some make to put a spoiler on the drivers side and not the passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Available on older cars, to keep the wiper pressed against the screen at high speeds.

Example...
    bmw-e34-5-series-lowrider-china-1.jpg

Advertisement