Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was this a rip off?

• 20-01-2013 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Hey all, before I start let me just say that I know nothing about cars other than how to drive one.

So recently a family members car was sent in for a service before the NCT (it passed).
    Now there are several problems with this car, a 2003 Ford fiesta. The brakes are squeeking, its having problems starting every morning (need to rev it for a good few seconds or it will conk out) and the engine light is stuck on for the past 5 years.

Anyway, the service cost €118, and they told the garage about the problems its been having. The receipt says that the following were checked and serviced.

Engine oil & oil filter
    Coolent
    Bulbs and lights
    Tracking
    Brakes
    and then 1 or 2 more minor things.

After the only thing we were told was "2 new tires needed". It doesnt seem like the other main issues have been addressed or fixed at all. The car still has problems starting, the brakes are still squeeking, we werent told what is wrong with this or anything.

The new tires cost an extra few hundred and now the they feel like they need to go back to garage and spend another few hundred on fixing they above issues. What do you think, is this normal practice or was this a poor service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems reasonable.
    Tracking itself is usually 40-45.
    Oil service about the same depending on where you go and oil quality.
    Some places will charge 100+ for just oil service.
    I did a Saab full service once at Cunningham Higgings and it set me back 400 :eek:

A service won't address issues like squeaking etc, those things will have to be fixed separately.
    Btw, you can buy tires online cheaper and have someone put them on for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Engine light has been on for 5 years ?

I certainly hope you didn't expect to get that fixed for what seems like a reasonable charge considering what was done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

As above, the price is very reasonable for an oil and filter change and checking the other items including the tracking. You say it passed the NCT so they must have done what they were paid to do. The other things you mention (squeeky brakes, engine light {5 years - yikes!} etc) are separate items that would not be included. The price you mention for tyres is mad, I would expect to get a pair of tyres for a Fiesta for a little over a hundred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Hey all, before I start let me just say that I know nothing about cars other than how to drive one.

So recently a family members car was sent in for a service before the NCT (it passed).
    Now there are several problems with this car, a 2003 Ford fiesta. The brakes are squeeking, its having problems starting every morning (need to rev it for a good few seconds or it will conk out) and the engine light is stuck on for the past 5 years.

Anyway, the service cost €118, and they told the garage about the problems its been having. The receipt says that the following were checked and serviced.

Engine oil & oil filter
    Coolent
    Bulbs and lights
    Tracking
    Brakes
    and then 1 or 2 more minor things.

After the only thing we were told was "2 new tires needed". It doesnt seem like the other main issues have been addressed or fixed at all. The car still has problems starting, the brakes are still squeeking, we werent told what is wrong with this or anything.

The new tires cost an extra few hundred and now the they feel like they need to go back to garage and spend another few hundred on fixing they above issues. What do you think, is this normal practice or was this a poor service?

It cant have passed an Nct with an engine light on so this issue was obviously sorted ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

It cant have passed an Nct with an engine light on so this issue was obviously sorted ??

Yes it can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I shouldnt have mentioned the engine light as it seems to be distracting you, but yeah it impossible to turn off, nobody can find the problem and it comes back on about an hour after it gets turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Well, you should have mentioned that. Engine light on and difficulties with starting it can be somehow connected. This light is not there only to annoy or distract you;)
    118 for oil, filters and coolant is ok, paid much more in some garages for the same. Few hundreds for tires??? What brand/size they put on this Fiesta?

Find a proper mechanic to diagnose engine - could be some cheap sensor that is gone. Resetting it doesn't remove the problem.

Bigus wrote: »
    Yes it can.
    To clarify this.
    It's only a fail on diesel cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

The engine management light itself is not a fail on a petrol or diesel car. we may not do a smoke test if the light is on a diesel car and engine doesnt seem to be running properly. if the car has enough oil, is running correctly in our opinion but engine management light is on, we will still test it. customer has already signed a disclaimer.

According to the manual section 2, page 10 "Preliminary Check before carrying Out Diesel Engine Smoke Test"
    Engine Warning Light Ok?
    NO On any item, Decline to do Smoke Test until fault rectified.

Good to know it might get tested anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

yes will definitly not be refused on that basis alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

the engine light is stuck on for the past 5 years.

Sweet Jesus, its not there for decoration.There is a reason its on.I dont know why the garage cant find the cause of this been on, even I can do this:rolleyes:
    Bigus wrote: »
    Yes it can.

Absolutely.My father has one of these cars and I brought in into the NCT recently with this light on, and it passed with flying colours because it didn't affect the emissions.

Oh by the way the problem was the heater part of the pre-cat oxygen sensor, which I changed and knocked off the light afterwards, and its still off, result.:p

the engine light is stuck on for the past 5 years.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, its not there for decoration.There is a reason its on.I dont know why the garage cant find the cause of this been on, even I can do this:rolleyes:

Refer to my first post where I said I know nothing about cars, and secondly, its not even my car before you jump your guns.
    If you can find the cause of it be my guest, but over years of services, pre nct checks, and much more, not a single problem has been linked to it. Several garages have told them that.

The other problems I have raised in my first post are very recent things that have popped up, so they;re hardly related. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it before with this constant light on so hey, just go with the flow if it wasnt causing any harm.

well yeah for the list above the price seems reasonable but, IMO the garage didnt check the extra things they were told to do so either go back to them or find another garage.First off get a diagnostics check done on the car to check what the code is been flagged up by the light.It could be related to the conking out, but might not be too.

I cant believe the garage didnt tell ye what the code/fault is for the light because maybe they didnt do the check.Get that done.Brakes might only need to be lubed up with copper grease (on the back) to stop the squeak.

Did the garage not mention the other faults at all?

Just to dig this thread back up.

The problem with the conking out was the "throttle box", so that was replaced, few hundred, and most was fine except for the slight ticking sound the engine was making. Car ran grand except until a few days ago.

Car conked out, wouldn't start at all, not even a chug, was towed to the garage. Was told at first the timing belt snapped.

Now a few days later we're told the timing belt snapped, pistons completely shattered, entire engine destroyed.

Need to get a new engine, second hand €1000+

Something tells me something wasn't done right with that service

The problem with the conking out was the "throttle box", so that was replaced, few hundred, and most was fine except for the slight ticking sound the engine was making. Car ran grand except until a few days ago.

Car conked out, wouldn't start at all, not even a chug, was towed to the garage. Was told at first the timing belt snapped.

Now a few days later we're told the timing belt snapped, pistons completely shattered, entire engine destroyed.

Well that really sucks, lady luck really gave you a kicking.Usually when the belt goes, the engine should still turn over, but alot more faster because there is no compression.Have you any record of if/when the belt was done before.I would have thought that the garage would have either asked you about the belt, or offered to do it.The pistons are fairly strong on most cars I would have thought, so it would only be the valves that would be bent...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Nothing to do with the service, if you wanted the timing belt changed, then that's a specific job...and pistons wrecked etc is what happens if the TB snaps...that's why it's so important to change them

Secondhand zetec (yes I know it's a Duratec, but they are the same thing) will cost maybe €300 and maybe the same to fit it if you go to the right mechanic .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

...Something tells me something wasn't done right with that service

Jeez you really were expecting a lot for €118 !

The timing belt is a totally separate item and costs several hundred notes to get done.

corktina wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the service, if you wanted the timing belt changed, then that's a specific job...and pistons wrecked etc is what happens if the TB snaps...that's why it's so important to change them

Secondhand zetec (yes I know it's a Duratec, but they are the same thing) will cost maybe €300 and maybe the same to fit it if you go to the right mechanic .

Well yeah it can happen, but not necessarily in all cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

You mean for E118 they didn't fix everything that was wrong with car and give you a lifetime guarantee on everything else?
    Have you contacted the National Consumer Agency?

Nino Brown wrote: »
    You mean for E118 they didn't fix everything that was wrong with car and give you a lifetime guarantee on everything else?
    Have you contacted the National Consumer Agency?

yea

jimmyw wrote: »
    Well yeah it can happen, but not necessarily in all cases.

it's a zetec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

corktina wrote: »
    it's a zetec

I'm pretty sure the Zetec in my old Focus was non-interference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭cletus

Nino Brown wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the Zetec in my old Focus was non-interference.

As far as I know, Zetec engines are all interference.

cletus wrote: »
    As far as I know, Zetec engines are all interference.

that is what I thought, but I could well be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Engine repair could be 1000+ alright , but i think it is waste of money.

As lads mentioned, used engine would cost around 300 and labor 250 - 300, plus - you have to get new coolant, oil , oil filter , sparkplugs and new timeing belt, as you are getting second hand engine, doubt there is new belt in it, so tb kit has to go in ... dont know how much it would be, check some online shops, but i think kit would be 150 ish, also water pump .. .60 ish, also would suggest get new clutch , as it is way easier change all that, while engine out, and fitting would be free as it would be part of engine replacement work.

id say under 1 k youd be sorted with all new parts fitted.

Regarding price ... which you mentioned in first posts , 118 euro is too low, cant see it was done... just probably they charge such amount for top up , not for the whole oil change..... a specially if it was like fast fit, or pit stop shops .. they do top ups .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I drive an '03 Fiesta and my service is 220e! 118e seems a little too good tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I wouldnt even consider a repair on this yolk, check out the bangernomics thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement