Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glasnevin cemetery

Options
  • 06-04-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi so I was glasnevin cemetery for the first time the other day, and to say I was shocked is and understatement! I was in the part where the angel section is and I was talking about to a few about this and said its only in this part but anyway what had me shocked was the the beer cans, the dog poo, the rubbish, headstones knocked over , sinkholes in a good few of the graves it was ridiculous and very sad to see neglect and the graveyard as a whole is so cramped and on top of each other in the baby section there's just random graves plotted ...madness. I know they have signs for a restoration project but how are they going to fix this their not just going to lift up the graves surely? ? Another question is this problem all over the graveyard from what iv been told they do tours to there aswell ? Also this is my first post so not sure where to post :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Sinkholes in grave plots are normal, Rubbish dumped in a city location might not be nice but its also common, Glasnevin is improving as the museum is attracting a good few visitors and I would have thought that maintenance is more than some graveyards receive. The cemetery sees a lot of restoration of older headstones that most cemeteries don't get.

My point is I don't think its in overly bad condition although any rubbish is unfortunate and should be cleared away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You commonly see rubbish in most graveyards around the country. People clean their own families' plots and just dump rubbish anywhere they feel like it, despite signage telling them not to do so. We don't do civic responsibility all that well.

Advertisement