Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John O'Donavan from Cork

• 25-01-2013 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Why is he on the radio all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As a former producer of a couple of different talk shows that he has appeared on as a caller, I can tell you he's not the only one.

Some people either have little else or little better to be doing (possibly not working) - or they have an opinion on everything and just get a kick out of appearing on radio to share it.

In fairness to John, he's harmless and usually has something valid to say which is relevant to the topic at hand. You're right though... he does appear on air a LOT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I think it's worth saying here that certain radio stations regularly call up guys like John, outline what the topic is to be discussed, ask them if they'll go on air and agree to give their opinions..it happens..a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

I can't stand him! He's always on 96fm and Redfm here in Cork, I've heard him on
    Joe Duffy and Niall Boylan as well.

He was challenged one day about being on the radio non stop and was asked
    did he have a job, he hesitated for a second and said he was a painter/decorator.

I switch off when I hear him on the radio recently. Overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I reckon he's got his own personal line to the Neil Prendeville Show.

He was just on Niall Boylan, go away John!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 tapit54

He does my head in!!

You will never guess who's on with Prendeville as we speak? lol!
    Turn-off time methinks! lol

You will never guess who's on with Niall Boylan just now, talking about just one of the things that he's an expert in...legalising drugs! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Between him and Coogan and their personal politics I would love to bang their heads together :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The was an aul one from Dublin called Bernie who used to be on FM104 and Gerry Ryan all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

He should have his own twitter page or blog.

I remember Victor Barry getting cranky with him one morning about gay couples adopting kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

"You see it is like this *pause* "
    I've heard him on various 4fm shows and Liveline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 MOONBABY240

I think yer man aubrey has overtaken John as the most frequent liveline caller this year

Waffling again on 4fm
    "It's like this.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Lads, This thread reminds me of the Mary O'Rourke Watch thread :D

Ye should think about changing the title of this thread to John O'Donovan Watch :pac:

"You see it's like this.."
    Just now on 4FM waffling about er something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

snubbleste wrote: »
    "You see it's like this.."
    Just now on 4FM waffling about er something
    FFS.

He was on again on the late night phone in, bluffing about the abortion legislation.

"Right"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭ofcork

He was on with neil on 96fm this week and was taking part in a protest in a bank.

Thats a different guy i believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

ofcork wrote: »
    Thats a different guy i believe.

Ah ok

• Advertisement

You see it is like this..
    Now giving expert opinion on rape, sex & contraception on 4fm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

snubbleste wrote: »
    You see it is like this..
    Now giving expert opinion on rape, sex & contraception on 4fm

Unbelievable, he was only on Neil Prendeville this morning. Imagine getting stuck beside him on a flight to Australia....

"....and I tell you another thing, right..."

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,351 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The John drinking game. Take a drink every time he says "right." it would be a short game.

On Neil Prendeville (again) at the moment. Saying some lad won't get elected in the locals next year and generally slagging him off.

The fella comes on the air and says to john to put himself up for election and all hell breaks lose. Going on now how he's a "loud mouth wind bag, lol.

The texts are giving out about him always being on the air on 4fm and Joe Duffy.

Give it up john, everyone is sick to death of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The was an aul one from Dublin called Bernie who used to be on FM104 and Gerry Ryan all the time

I remember her. She had some very old-fashioned opinions, a very strong Dublin accent, and the sort of voice that would make Marian Finucane sound like Kate Bush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

John's on Liveline now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Hopefully, 'the powers that be' will turn their attention to this mouthpiece for 'theplainpeopleofIreland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spillers

heard Des cahill rambling on yesterday on 96fm about erecting a statue to Ronan O Gara and Peter Stringer for their contribution to cork blah blah
    No way!!!
    a bronze statue to the curtain peeper "john o Donovan"!--no that would be more beneficial to cork....

On Neil Prendeville at the moment. Going on how Regina Doherty should suck it up as he gets abuse going down Patrick Street on a daily basis and takes it on the chin...

Yeah, except you deserve the abuse you boring windbag.

• Advertisement

You see it's like this
    It's like this
    Waffling on about various subjects on 4fm nightly show this week

I'm pretty sure they call him at this stage to fill airtime

John is on Niall Boylan now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

He was on with neil on 96fm this week and was taking part in a protest in a bank.

Hes too busy ringing up radio stations.

Will someone put up all his best bits on youtube :D

On with neil again this morning.

Prendeville makes up shock stories to get the phones hopping when there is a slow news day. He is an expert at pulling peoples legs maybe he should stick to pulling his :eek::eek::eek::eek: For instance a few weeks back he was doing a slot about men asking women out when this woman rings in and says she was so beautiful that men were afraid to approach her :rolleyes: After a bit of online research it turned out that the woman was none other than one of his work colleagues. After checking out photos of her it was clear that she wasn't the unapproachable beauty she was pretending to be, but then she was only doing what she was told. The phone lines and texts came flying in with who does she think she is :D

Last week he was on about some young one driving a mini cooper giving out to him about his driving and giving him abuse, when she realized it was Prendeville she gave him even more abuse :D The way he told the story it was clearly fabricated. Some ould wan rang in after saying the cheek of her giving abuse to Neil Prendeville :D

It's a bit like reality tv shows with added nonsensical drama to keep viewers.

I dont know he sounded like it was a genuine story with the effing out of your one.

• Advertisement

I dont know he sounded like it was a genuine story with the effing out of your one.

I doubt he would be telling the story on air if it were true. If the phantom driver were real she might have something to say about it. Maybe he might do a follow on next week and get one of his crew to ring in giving him abuse. He gave another example after where another young wan gave him abuse for holding her up at a junction, amazing how he's getting abuse from young women.

He's noted for perking up slow news days I suppose all radio presenters do it when things are slow to fill air time.

On 96FM right now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

On 96FM right now :rolleyes:

Busy day for him, heard him on 4fm at around half one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

''The thing about it is'' was on the phone to Boylan again last night. They must be seriously hard up for callers to the show.

TBP wrote: »
    ''The thing about it is'' was on the phone to Boylan again last night. They must be seriously hard up for callers to the show.

I'm convinced that a lot of radio stations actually ring him. If it's a quiet day it's probably a case of "Give John O'Donovan a ring. Sure he'll fill up the time for us".

• Advertisement

I'm convinced that a lot of radio stations actually ring him. If it's a quiet day it's probably a case of "Give John O'Donovan a ring. Sure he'll fill up the time for us".

Yep, I know for a fact that the producer of a certain show regularly rings a lad to ask him if he'd be interested in going on air to discuss whatever topic they'd be covering that night etc, he was asked one night if he wouldn't mind going against the grain of popular opinion and rile up the listeners for him. The lad he asked wouldn't do it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

On 4fm with Niall now talking his usual sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

was he the the ejit asking what colour is God ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What colour is God actually ?

I've never thought about that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lapin wrote: »
    What colour is God actually ?

I've never thought about that one.

'Iced White' according to the dulux colour chart.

He was on the Harvey show there again today ranting and raving about some meeting he stormed in Cork last night. He was saying he waved a rat at some labour politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Scaramanga 4

Matt cooper read a text from him a few minutes ago, He was complaining about being unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,351 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TBP wrote: »
    He was on the Harvey show there again today ranting and raving about some meeting he stormed in Cork last night. He was saying he waved a rat at some labour politicians.

Cork city councils meeting was postponed by a protest.

Surprised he wasn't on with neil this morning.

Surprised he wasn't on with neil this morning.

He probably signed an exclusive rights deal with Harvey ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement