Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet cassette & freezing nights

Options
  • 19-11-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm about to go and empty out the water tank for the winter. After our last trip away I have the toilet cassette made up with the bit of thetford blue & 2L of water - I'm wondering is it ok to leave this in over the following weeks/months? I guess it is - there's room to expand in case of freezing, but I thought I'd run it by here first for opinions
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

I mix household ammonia into my washer bottle for my windscreen, sometimes I would add methylated spirits. They never freeze when that is used.

Dont blame me if they somehow damage the seals on the toliet, but I will use it in mine this year.

another handy idea I have had is to use a brewing belt http://www.homebrew.ie/proddetail.php?prod=393 for home brewing beer, I keep the van plugged in to the house at home with a dehumidifyer on, I have placed the brew belt on my onboard waer tank and the belt will keep heat on it.

I am concerned about wild camping and I'm going skiing in a months time and will probably wild camp then, I am aware the internal heat will keep the tank ice free, but I bought myself a 12v aquarium heater http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?_nkw=12V+Aquarium+Heater, I am going to submerge that in the tank 24/7, it will work off leisure batteries and I can set the temp above freezing. I hope it works!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm about to go and empty out the water tank for the winter. After our last trip away I have the toilet cassette made up with the bit of thetford blue & 2L of water - I'm wondering is it ok to leave this in over the following weeks/months? I guess it is - there's room to expand in case of freezing, but I thought I'd run it by here first for opinions
    thanks

Why make up the cassette after emptying if it is not going to be used immediately :confused:

Why not just give it a good rinse out and leave it empty with the blade open until the next outing. Leaving the blade open will help with the life of the seals and you wont have to worry about it sticking as it dries out ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Lidl and Aldi have the chemicals in every year for the want of dunmping a euro's woth of chemical would you risk it freezing. Even if there is space it a block of ice forms it will split the box as it expads width ways

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Why make up the cassette after emptying if it is not going to be used immediately :confused:

Why not just give it a good rinse out and leave it empty with the blade open until the next outing. Leaving the blade open will help with the life of the seals and you wont have to worry about it sticking as it dries out ;).

Had planned on going out - then it rained :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

kelbal wrote: »

Had planned on going out - then it rained :rolleyes:

Chuck it...peace of mind worth more than a yo yo... You could always bottle it and keep it indoors for next season!!!
    Marty

• Advertisement
Advertisement