Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many beers do you drink a week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Mech1 wrote: »
    No Witherspoons €3.25 per pint cans Bulmers €10 for 8, so less than €150 per week.

No problem with hangovers or getting up, but turning 50 this year so its prob gonnaa start catching up on me!

Haha, yeah that happens! Turned 50 myself a few months ago :(

Still think I'm 18 though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

I love beer, when my wife goes away I have a few every night, its a bad habit I know, but I love nothing more !

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

I've always seemed to control my diabetes quite well (without really working hard at it). Get checked out every six months and I never have bad results - obviously they're not perfect but like yourself, I'm borderline too.

As for how do I feel after a session? I'm not sure there's any difference between the feeling I have now and the feeling I used to get years before I had diabetes. Generally just feel a bit groggy for the day, but don't suffer from terrible hangovers fortunately.

I think GPs tend to advise people to stop drinking regardless. Obviously alcohol in large amounts is bad for us, but I think the medical profession go a bit overboard at times.

It's pretty unrealistic to expect people to stop drinking altogether. Social life for most of us revolves around alcohol.

I have to agree with you, the medical profession are too over the top. Like you I don't suffer hangovers when I drink, just feel a bit tired unless i drink spirits and the nerves are shot to pieces. My mother had type 1 diabetes and was knocking back bottles of whiskey and red bulls for many years. But I feel I definitely needed a break from the 2-3 big sessions a week I was on 6 months ago, so tonight i'll be having a few beers and I'll raise one to you and may we have many a good few drinks and be happy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I hardly drink beer. About 2-3 pints a month. I am fairly grumpy most of the time, but I don't believe this has anything to do with my low beer intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xopher

I work in a Pub on the weekends, still have enough time to drink atleast 15-20 pints while working 25 hours over 3 days. I'd only drink on the weekends tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 JimmyJabber

Craft Beers when I can, about 6 high percentage beers gives a nice buzz of a Friday after work. Prob about same if not a little more on Saturday over a game of poker with friends.

Although I have noticed in recent years being more partial to an odd one or two during the week.

Its the one then two etc during the week that is a slippery slope, the weekend is good, but let me tell you from experience, during the week becomes a bad habit.

Its the one then two etc during the week that is a slippery slope, the weekend is good, but let me tell you from experience, during the week becomes a bad habit.

Doesn't have to become a bad habit though. I regularly drank at home during the week but as I reached my late 40s/early 50s I drank less and less often during the week as it became harder to function properly the next day. So now it's weekends only apart from the occasional night during the week (usually a Champions' League match or similar!).

Like everything else in life, it's only when the person begins to lose self-control that it becomes a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

What's this no hangover jazz? Get outa here :) ..... maybe I'm drinking in excess of beer and paying the price the next day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Thread has reassured me somewhat :)

Usually have between 6-8 pints a week when I do drink. Usually stuff of 6% and over. Nearly always Friday and/or Saturday: very rarely drink if I'm working the next day.

Would always have one, occasionally two, weeks in most months where I don't drink.

Do eat quite healthily and exercise regularly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 dunneg

Depends on what specials are on in the local offy
    Has anyone tried the Brown Bear Newry brewery?

Loving their IPA these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

dunneg wrote: »
    Depends on what specials are on in the local offy
    Has anyone tried the Brown Bear Newry brewery?

Loving their IPA these days!

Brown bear is woeful stuff. Don't bother your backside with it.

If you want a proper IPA grab a few cans of Founders Centennial instead if you have a decent offi nearby. Fantastic stuff.

Or try something from 8 degrees or Galway bay if you want to go Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dunneg

That Galway Bay stuff is muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

dunneg wrote: »
    That Galway Bay stuff is muck!

Actually it's made entirely of barley, hops and water.

No muck at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Wicklow Wolf is the bees knees love their IPA and American amber. 8 degrees hurricane is good stuff aswell. The ownbrand IPA in Lidel is surprisingly nice and a reasonable price too (think its rye river that brew it).

Had a few nice Guinness last night in a good old pub, jaysus they were lovely.

Completely overdid it at the weekend :(

Friday night work's Christmas party. Saturday night a few "curers" in the local. Sunday afternoon pints at home for the Man City game and then a trip to the local followed by a trip into town and a late night session. No work Monday, thank God.

I'm treating myself to a bottle of Jagermeister for Xmas. Any suggestions for mixers? I'm steering clear of Red Bull and am not keen on straight Jager. Does anyone know if Red Lemonade tastes nice with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 professorw

Lately drink up to 56 cans a week. its still cheap-ish compared to the pubs. but for health reasons I do plan a cutdown to a couple of cans , 4 maybe, before bed then maybe 2 before bed. trying to get rid of this beer belly. less intake is the only way and excercize

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I just drink the black stuff but might have 8 pints a week over two visits, can't take the hangovers like i used to in my 20's and 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

56 cans a week is pretty impressive! 8 pints a night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭victor8600

3-4 pints each time I go to a pub, that is once a month.

2 nights a week. Friday and Saturday, 8-10 pints of Porter each night.

will be cutting back to one night a week now for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 professorw

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Oerdun

I'm offended by the inquiry and now I'm so upset I'm going to crack one open.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Ditto.

6 on a Sat night, 6 on a Sunday night and 6 on a Monday night does me now.

I'm trying to knock the Monday night beers on the head with little success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm developing a bad habit of falling asleep mid-way through my 2nd beer of a Friday night. Bright mornings have the kids and invariably, me up early so late nights don't really happen these days. I'd generally grab a handful of Hobgoblins or Red Ales (they used to be Medusa iirc) with the weekly shopping from Aldi. It seems I'm growing a collection as I'm not drinking them all at current pace. I wouldn't normally down a few on a Saturday but the local shop had 2 * Staropramen for £4 last week so that was enough to twist my arm.

Football pre-season has started and we've got a new club house so I'll likely see the inside of a pub more regularly in the coming weeks.

How times have changed. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Haven't been drinking in a while..had six or eight out on Saturday and still traumatized by it. 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SonOfTheAbbot

I'd have 2 or so a night when the girlfriend goes to bed. Thats a Tuesday-Thursday, I work in the pub at the weekends so might have 2 cans when I get home. Monday night is the only night I go out if I'm not working and at the weekend I'll go the Saturday. I'd have about 10 pints on a night out. So about 22 drinks a week give or take.

Advertisement