Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Cooker recipes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The butcher removed all the big fatty bits, all that was left on the meat was the connective fatty bits, sinue, that sort of stuff. At the start I heated up the paste and then added the beef to it for a few mins before putting it in the slow cooker.

I will look at increasing the cooking time for next attempt,

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

frag420 wrote: »
    The butcher removed all the big fatty bits, all that was left on the meat was the connective fatty bits, sinue, that sort of stuff. At the start I heated up the paste and then added the beef to it for a few mins before putting it in the slow cooker.

I will look at increasing the cooking time for next attempt,

cheers

Ive never done shin, but Ive done shoulder a lot and in most times all the connective tissue is pretty much dissolved. Not completely gone, but once the meat breaks up you cant detect it. all done over 8 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

sillymoo wrote: »
    I am hoping to make this in the slow cooker tomorrow

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940689/beef-and-vegetable-casserole-

I am worried that it will be very fluid and won't have a nice thickish gravy. I don't want soup in the end! I was thinking of maybe only adding 300ml of water and I have some cornflower in the press - could add that in the end if not thick enough?

It will be fluid, but what you need to do is when its done, sieve the sauce into a pot and get to work on it.

So normally, I put the sauce on fairly high heat and cook it down for 15 minutes, then add a beurre manie. This is a little bit of butter rubbed hard into some flour. Once the flour has completely incorporated into the butter, drop it into the sauce. Now initially it will go lumpy and you will cry, but these lumps always dissolve. Try a little bit first and then keep adding until you get to the right velvety consistency. No sieving of sauces required and you get a sauce with a beautiful shine and richness. Sometime I cook down (like a glass or so) a little red wine and add in at end to get that 'wine' depth into your sauce. Obviously season, taste, season, taste etc.

My latest sauce is here with some lamb shoulder - http://www.viddy.com/video/f2b50d82-0456-4689-be1e-e7144c144b7c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Has anybody ever made porridge in a slow cooker?

I was reading something earlier about it and it sounded like a great idea, especially if you could make enough for 2 or more people in the morning and just have it when you're ready, i.e. Not all at the same time.

Caveat: I haven't done this, though I intend to. Rave reviews, though.

http://food52.com/recipes/3062-overnight-steel-cut-oats-with-almond-butter-honey

And steel cut oats are the same thing as pinhead oatmeal, or so I understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

It will be fluid, but what you need to do is when its done, sieve the sauce into a pot and get to work on it.

So normally, I put the sauce on fairly high heat and cook it down for 15 minutes, then add a beurre manie. This is a little bit of butter rubbed hard into some flour. Once the flour has completely incorporated into the butter, drop it into the sauce. Now initially it will go lumpy and you will cry, but these lumps always dissolve. Try a little bit first and then keep adding until you get to the right velvety consistency. No sieving of sauces required and you get a sauce with a beautiful shine and richness. Sometime I cook down (like a glass or so) a little red wine and add in at end to get that 'wine' depth into your sauce. Obviously season, taste, season, taste etc.

My latest sauce is here with some lamb shoulder - http://www.viddy.com/video/f2b50d82-0456-4689-be1e-e7144c144b7c
    I saw this a little to late but will try it for again. What I did was take the sauce out and put it in a saucepan and thickened it with a little cornflour and water. Turned out pretty nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ok so I just had some for my lunch just now. Firstly the initial flavour is there but thats it. It comes and goes, no lingering aftertaste. It seems to be missing a bit of sweetness perhaps as its tasted slightly bitter. Secondly the fat on the beef did not render down so while most of the beef was tender it still had fatty lumps in it so I was picking more of it out than I was eating. In the end I had about three mouthfulls and the rest went in the bin, very dissapointing.

Any advice folks?

Use this recipe

It really is good and the beef is meltingly tender.
    Not a slow cooker jobbie but it is how rendang is supposed to be made.
    I've done it twice now - it is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Anyone got a good recipe for brisket?

Use this recipe

It really is good and the beef is meltingly tender.
    Not a slow cooker jobbie but it is how rendang is supposed to be made.
    I've done it twice now - it is fantastic.

Stupid question but on a gas cooker what is simmer with regards to the settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Anyone got a good recipe for brisket?

You couldn't call this a recipe, but I made brisket in the slow cooker last week.

I got a small piece, just 1.2kg, and browned it all over in a large pan with a bit of olive oil. Then I smeared it with English mustard and added salt and pepper.

I put one large onion cut into eighths and 4 cloves of garlic into the base of the slow cooker. I laid the meat on top and added a splash of red wine and a splash of hot water.

I cooked it on high for 5 hours and then took it out and allowed it to rest while I made gravy with the juices.

It was tender and delicious and we were really pleased with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

There seems to be a problem with the video, it only shows some sauce being poured over the meat with some chat about Watford??? Maybe repost, or post the recipe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stupid question but on a gas cooker what is simmer with regards to the settings?

Just turn it down as low as it will go - if there are no bubbles, turn it up a little until you get a gentle simmer.

If you're unsure as to what simmering is, here's a video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Folks, have a pork casserole in the slow cooker at the moment and going to leave it on low for about 7 hours. Want to put some potatoes in later, would two hours on low be enough if they were cut smallish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Glebee wrote: »
    Folks, have a pork casserole in the slow cooker at the moment and going to leave it on low for about 7 hours. Want to put some potatoes in later, would two hours on low be enough if they were cut smallish.

Should be yeah, I think I put baby potatoes in with about 2 hours left.

Would make no difference to the pork anyway if you left it on for longer for the spuds

OK so I put a stew on last night at eight. Followed a recipe for a ten hour slow cook on low. The fuse blew in the kitchen last night about half twelve (housemate was up when it happened). So I have an almost half cooked stew sitting in my slow cooker. CAn this be rescued? If I put it on again this avo for the remaining time will it be ok?

thanks

frAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭cobham

For thickening a sauce I use a bit of cornflour, mixed with some water and added to saucepan of the liquid then added back to cassarole. Very little of liquid is lost in slowcooker and a lot will come out of veggies etc. You only need a bare minimum and sometimes meat can be sitting on top and not covered but will be fine.

• Advertisement

Frag, I would bring that stew back up to boil point on the stove ... check to see if you are happy with texture of meat and if not put back in slow cooker for few more hours. It will probably be cooked but might benefit from bit more in pot.

cobham wrote: »
    Frag, I would bring that stew back up to boil point on the stove ... check to see if you are happy with texture of meat and if not put back in slow cooker for few more hours. It will probably be cooked but might benefit from bit more in pot.

Cheers. How long should I have it on the boil for?

F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

OK so I put a stew on last night at eight. Followed a recipe for a ten hour slow cook on low. The fuse blew in the kitchen last night about half twelve (housemate was up when it happened). So I have an almost half cooked stew sitting in my slow cooker. CAn this be rescued? If I put it on again this avo for the remaining time will it be ok?

thanks

frAg

Hi Frag,

I've often cooked my stews in the slow cooker like this....half one day and half the following day and they've been perfect. On both days I would put the slow cooker on high for the first hour to help it along and then put back to low.

Loire.

Bring to boil just to make sure a bug zapping temp achieved thru out dish so maybe just a few minutes if you can stir a bit or turn over larger pieces of meat. It might be fine to eat... or else in good condition to put back into preheated slow cooker. I always preheat a slow cooker and bring ingredients up to heat /sear meat on regular stove. Then I leave on high heat for hour before turning to low. It know it is ready to turn down when it is bubbling and some air escaping from lid. This time can vary but usually about an hour. I know of someone with a smaller slow cooker and it seems to cook at a higher temperature thru out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

Bought some bacon ribs. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to cook them in the slow cooker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Raoul wrote: »
    Bought some bacon ribs. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to cook them in the slow cooker?

Not tried them in a slow cooker yet but have cooked for 3 hours in the oven @ C. 140* No stock added at all. Covered in a casserole dish.
    Love to hear a method for the slow cooker for these.

Bring to boil just to make sure a bug zapping temp achieved thru out dish so maybe just a few minutes if you can stir a bit or turn over larger pieces of meat. It might be fine to eat... or else in good condition to put back into preheated slow cooker. I always preheat a slow cooker and bring ingredients up to heat /sear meat on regular stove. Then I leave on high heat for hour before turning to low. It know it is ready to turn down when it is bubbling and some air escaping from lid. This time can vary but usually about an hour. I know of someone with a smaller slow cooker and it seems to cook at a higher temperature thru out.

Ok so I brought it to the boil and then put it back into the slow cooker for 5-6 hrs. Checked it this morning and the meat seems a little tough, still edible but not as tender and flaky as I was expecting. Also the fat never melted/rendered from the meat so got some chewy bits!! Tastes good but I hate having to pick fat out of my gob when eating!!

ANy ideas on what I may be doing wrong here?

frAg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We made a big pot of chicken stew in the slow cooker yesterday, it was gorgeous.

Chicken legs, pearl barley, carrots, parsnip, potato, onion, garlic, bay leaves, water, black pepper, salt. Cooked for 9 hours and ate big hot bowls of it last night listening to the rain beat on the windows. Perfect for this weather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Ok so I brought it to the boil and then put it back into the slow cooker for 5-6 hrs. Checked it this morning and the meat seems a little tough, still edible but not as tender and flaky as I was expecting. Also the fat never melted/rendered from the meat so got some chewy bits!! Tastes good but I hate having to pick fat out of my gob when eating!!

ANy ideas on what I may be doing wrong here?

frAg

Hi Frag,

I think you needed to remove the fat before cooking. I find buying meat on the bone easiest for this as removing fat from meat pieces is tricky and time consuming.

Loire.

Frag ... did you have the second time in the slow cook pot on high to start off? Yes I would remove obvious fat and skin from chicken pieces before cooking, it is only going to end up in your sauce even if not apparant on the meat. You could let stew cool right down and remove fat as it will settle on the top but that defeats the fun of slow cooker - not to be able to tuck in after day of lovely aromas from kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Is there a knack to getting chicken to turn out nice in a slow cooker? I've tried a few chicken recipes but find it loses a lot in the cooking process. Beef, lamb and pork turn out great but chicken just turns way too soft and tasteless. Maybe it's just not that suitable for slow cooking? I normally use breasts. (Last time I cooked on low for 7 hours - too long maybe?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Try using thighs/thigh fillets instead of breasts. I find they turn out lovely, meltingly tender. I always think thighs have more flavour than breasts, but that might be just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Aye, I find chicken thighs or whole legs work best. Cook with the skin on and bones in for maximum flavour, then you can remove skin & bones just before serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Dolbert wrote: »
    Is there a knack to getting chicken to turn out nice in a slow cooker? I've tried a few chicken recipes but find it loses a lot in the cooking process. Beef, lamb and pork turn out great but chicken just turns way too soft and tasteless. Maybe it's just not that suitable for slow cooking? I normally use breasts. (Last time I cooked on low for 7 hours - too long maybe?)

I agree with you. I tend not to use chicken in the slow cooker.

One thing I have found that helps is to slow cook the breasts whole. Then when they are cooked, remove them from the dish, chop or shred them and put them back in.

A further advantage to this method is that you can put them in frozen.

If I am home I will only cook chicken in the slow cooker for 4 hours max.

However the reason I have a slow cooker is to come home to a hot dinner in the evenings so that kind of defeats the purpose.

Maybe the solution is to use a timer on the socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Chicken breasts are not suited to long slow cooking, just like fillet steak.
    Long slow cooking is suited to meat that has done more work on the animal and as a result is tougher. The slow cooking, be it in a slow cooker or in the oven, breaks down all the tough connective tissue making it super soft and melty tender.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Thanks everyone. Now that you mention it, the time I cooked a whole chicken it was lovely. Certain things just hold up better I guess :)

Yes bit of a waste to use chicken breast that is otherwise is so quick to cook. I use oyster pieces or other non breast pieces, leave on bone to get goodness of bone but I remove skin at start as that has high fat content. I would not leave cooking as long as other meats.

I also use a timer on the electric socket sometimes such as porridge that needs just few hours so can do at bedtime ready for morning. I use whole oats that need long slow cook. You will find these in good health food shop. Put one cup in slow cooker with 5 cups of boiling water and maybe some dried fruit. This will make about 6 portions and can be reheated in bowls in microwave as needed.

I also like to preheat ingredients, especially if cooking time will be short, e.g. five hours. I have been afraid to preheat the cooker itself, I wonder how you ensure the crock pot isn't to hot so it cracks you add the liquid. (I add a packet of Knorr casserole mix and cold water)?

Crockpots are made of tough material. I would preheat one as I prep contents on main hob and then only very hot things are added to dry but hot crockpot. Yes maybe a danger adding cold items to a hot pot but this is not recommended.

Try not to remove lid during cooktime as steam escapes etc so need to prolong cooktime to compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

http://allrecipes.co.uk/m/recipe/9203/chicken-jalfrezi-slow-cooker?o_is=LV

newb to curry

is this slow cook recipe ok?

and I'm trying to get my head around the lack of liquid in the recipe?

how does it work without water or stock?

thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it looks good. The amount of liquid looks right - the other day I made a beef goulash in the slow cooker with only a tin of tomatoes and a small amount of stock. So the passata is plenty. The biggest mistake you can make with a slow cooker is to add too much liquid because you end up with a watery, bland result.

Edit: I've merged this with the Slow Cooker Recipes thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Suppose I'll contribute something!

I got home from work with the intention of making the Cooking Club's Chicken & Chrorizo Rice bake, but had no rice.
    So, got what I could and ended up with what I guess could be called chicken thighs in marinara sauce.

6 chicken thighs (skin-on, bone-on).
    4 garlic cloves (diced)
    1 large onion (diced)
    Half a chorizo sausage (sliced thinly)
    1 can of chopped tomatoes
    1/4 glass of red wine
    Tablespoon of oregano
    Tablespoon of chili flakes (didn't have chili peppers)
    Paprika
    Salt & Pepper

Season the chicken thighs in S & P & P, and fry in a small amount of oil until skin has crisped.
    Remove thighs to a plate.
    Add onion, chorizo and garlic to the same pan, and make sure to scrap any chicken stuck to the pan.
    Once the chorizo has started to colour, add the wine, chili flakes & oregano.
    Then pour your tomatoes in, (add a teaspoon of sugar too).

Place your chicken thighs into the slow cooker.
    Pour your "marinara" sauce over the lot.

I left it on overnight (about 8 hours) on low, and the meat just fell off the bone when I went to eat it today. Incredibly tender.
    Served it over pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

EZ24GET wrote: »
    If your ham is larger (% pounds) cook an hour on high and then additional 8 to 10 hours on high. Enjoy.

Presumably you mean an additional 8 to 10 hours on low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

I got home from work with the intention of making the Cooking Club's Chicken & Chrorizo Rice bake, but had no rice.
    So, got what I could and ended up with what I guess could be called chicken thighs in marinara sauce.

4 garlic cloves (diced)
    1 large onion (diced)
    1/4 glass of red wine
    Tablespoon of oregano
    Paprika
    Salt & Pepper

Season the chicken thighs in S & P & P, and fry in a small amount of oil until skin has crisped.
    Add onion, chorizo and garlic to the same pan, and make sure to scrap any chicken stuck to the pan.

I left it on overnight (about 8 hours) on low, and the meat just fell off the bone when I went to eat it today. Incredibly tender.
    Served it over pasta.

Would balsamic vinegar be a good substitute or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

4 garlic cloves (diced)
    1 large onion (diced)
    1/4 glass of red wine
    Tablespoon of oregano
    Paprika
    Salt & Pepper

Served it over pasta.

Lack of liquid is rarely a problem as most foods seem to shed liquid as they slow cook. I have seen people say they have slow roasted a joint of meat with NO added liquid. I am not brave enough to try that, I would usually put some stock in the pot, but there is always oodles of liquid at the end. Both meat and veg shed liquid in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

ronano wrote: »

Honestly, if you left out the red wine, I don't think you're hurting the dish.
    As above, lack of liquid is rarely an issue in a slow cooker, something I found out the opposite way!
    Maybe half the amount of balsamic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Guardian have a piece up today 20 best slow food recipes: part 1

Posting so as to remember to read it.

Okay, I bought my slow cooker back in January, and to my utter disgrace, I've really only used it for the Beef & Guinness pie mentioned, and a couple of other attempts at dishes that we'll pretend never happened.

I've done most of the prep work for a beef stew and just have a couple of questions that some of the slow cooker aficionados might be able to help me with....

My plan is to leave it on all day while i'm at work, so for that reason I've done all of the prep work this evening, including browning the meat (after dredging it in flour, salt, pepper). I don't mind leaving the beef like this overnight, but I don't fancy doing the same with the onions, and won't have time in the morning. Is browning the onions essential?

The ingredients i have so far are: beef shin, carrot, celery, mushroom, peppers, courgette, broccoli and onions. For the liquid, I'll be using stock, tomato puree, the rest of the flour, and maybe a tin of tomatoes, though that might be too much liquid. Is there too much / anything glaringly absent, bearing in mind that i'll be serving it with potatoes when fully cooked?

I plan to add some barley or soup mix, but I've been told to hold off on that until the last hour. Yea or nay?

I promise to throw a photo into the "what did you have for dinner..." thread this time. Cheers in advance for any responses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Merged with Slow Cooker thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It isn't essential to brown the onions - you could have them sliced in the fridge in a ziploc bag. Also, I put my barley in from the beginning and it's lovely.
    Honestly, the nicest beef stew I make in the slow cooker doesn't have the meat browned first. I use shin beef, and put it and all the veg and barley (just a handful) into the slow cooker, stir in a heaped dessertspoon of flour, then a pint of stock (hot water - not boiling- mixed with one red Oxo cube), thyme, salt & pepper, a squirt of tomato puree and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. I give it all a good stir and leave it.
    You could prep all of this the night before and just add the flour, stock etc in the morning :)

It isn't essential to brown the onions - you could have them sliced in the fridge in a ziploc bag. Also, I put my barley in from the beginning and it's lovely.
    Honestly, the nicest beef stew I make in the slow cooker doesn't have the meat browned first. I use shin beef, and put it and all the veg and barley (just a handful) into the slow cooker, stir in a heaped dessertspoon of flour, then a pint of stock (hot water - not boiling- mixed with one red Oxo cube), thyme, salt & pepper, a squirt of tomato puree and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. I give it all a good stir and leave it.
    You could prep all of this the night before and just add the flour, stock etc in the morning :)
    I completely agree with dizzy, especially, there is no need to brown, I would only suggest that you try adding peeled potatoes, I add them at the start, sitting on top, clear of the liquid, they come out fine, so it's a one pot meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

hbonbr wrote: »
    I completely agree with dizzy, especially, there is no need to brown, I would only suggest that you try adding peeled potatoes, I add them at the start, sitting on top, clear of the liquid, they come out fine, so it's a one pot meal.

Hi how long would u cook this for, and cud u add a tin of tomates or maybe a tin of cambells soup

Hi how long would u cook this for, and cud u add a tin of tomates or maybe a tin of cambells soup

I cook it for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low - although I've seen mention of the Tesco slow cookers being a bit cooler so if you have one of those it might take 5 hours on high/10 hours on low.

Yes you could use a tin of tomatoes or a can of soup but in that case you'd need to halve the amount of stock.

If your question related to the potatoes, sorry for the delay in answering you. I use roosters, peeled and cut into large chunks, say two mouthfuls let chunk. I then cook it like dizzy says, usually eight hours on low.

If you are adding liquid, you need to omit some stock. If using tomatoes, tinned, I would add a tablespoon of tomato puree at the start, when you come home, if time permits, you could add some herbs, give them about ten minutes to infuse.

I hope this helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement