Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flying between Cork and Derry

• 25-10-2006 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

I think its a crime in this day and age that you cant fly between Cork and Derry directly. Flying within Ireland is fairly limited really.

X.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

xabi wrote:
    I think its a crime in this day and age that you cant fly between Cork and Derry directly. Flying within Ireland is fairly limited really.

X.
    That's all good and well saying it's a crime. But it has to be economically viable for a company to run the route.
    Somehow, i doubt it's a route there is huge demand for.

Is Derry bigger than Galway and Limerick?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

Is Derry bigger than Galway and Limerick?:confused:
    Yes. I would definately use a Cork-Derry service. I grew up in Derry, but live in Cork.

I always wondered why no airline thought of having a shuttle (hand-luggage-only) service stopping off at Cork-SNN-Galway-Knock-Sligo-Donegal and Derry (maybe including Kerry and/or Belfast City ,Waterford). There is no rail service linking the West coast and the travel time between any two points would be half of even a third compared with driving. It would mean that someone in, for example, the south-west could do business in the north-west, and still make it home again in the evening. The scope for one-day-business-trips in this regard gives Dublin/Leinster a real advantage compared with the other parts of the country.

EDIT: typo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Didn't Brendan O'Carroll get involved with an airline planning to do just that?

It didn't last too long, AFAIR.

The market just isn't there for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

crc wrote:
    Yes. I would definately use a Cork-Derry service. I grew up in Derry, but live in Cork.

I always wondered why no airline thought of having a shuttle (hand-luggage-only) service stopping off at Cork-SNN-Galway-Knock-Sligo-Donegal and Derry (maybe including Kerry and/or Belfast City ,Waterford). There is no rail service linking the West coast and the travel time between any two points would be half of even a third compared with driving. It would mean that someone in, for example, the south-west could do business in the north-west, and still make it home again in the evening. The scope for one-day-business-trips in this regard gives Dublin/Leinster a real advantage compared with the other parts of the country.

EDIT: typo
    Its cos landing & taking off are the most expensive parts of a flight. Add to that airport taxes, parking fees etc and you have a very very very expensive and uneconomical flight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

No matter whose sets of figures are right, there is still no flight to between Cork and Derry, possibly due to both cities being kips.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

crc wrote:
    This is hardly a compelling argument.
    crc wrote:
    I always wondered why no airline thought of having a shuttle (hand-luggage-only) service stopping off at Cork-SNN-Galway-Knock-Sligo-Donegal and Derry (maybe including Kerry and/or Belfast City ,Waterford).
    Its just the Western Rail Corridor ‘I’m confident this would be a tremendous success because I like to see large amounts of money combusted in my locality’. Can you point to a commercially successful venture elsewhere of similar kind?

Can I also suggest Cork has more to gain from links to places outside the State that we might be able to sell stuff to, than hoping to generate business from some incestuous relationship with Derry. Something that might help Cork serve more destinations would be if there were fewer airports generally in the State, so that it had more economies of scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can fly:

Cork-Dublin-Derry
    Cork-Dublin-Donegal
    Cork-Belfast

Then train / car / bike / llama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Derry is outside the State.

If Aer Arann think Cork - Galway is worthwhile then perhaps Cork-Derry might work too with a small turboprop aircraft. Travelling by road or rail between the two is extremely slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

surely you can fly cork derry if you hire a jet and some pilots

• Advertisement

How about being able to fly between the first and second cities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

You shouldn't have to fly really. The roads should be good enough but they aren't. A lot of peopledidn't expect to be stuck behind a tractor in the morning on the way to work, so they consider flying instead. Come on admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Victor wrote:
    How about being able to fly between the first and second cities?

Well the train is **** but its still quicker than all the associated delays due to flying - arrival, departure, security checks, Dublin Westlink, err.. Belfast Westlink etc

nordydan wrote:
    Well the train is **** but its still quicker than all the associated delays due to flying - arrival, departure, security checks, Dublin Westlink, err.. Belfast Westlink etc
    Well it depends on start and end points.

Thread split and renamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote:
    Well it depends on start and end points.

Only Dublin Airport - Belfast international would be noticeably quicker by plane and I doubt that would be a popular door to door journey. Any other trip, even Dublin Airport - Belfast city centre would be as quick by other means.

It is just over a 2 hour trip by bus and there are departures every 1/2 hour or so throughout the day.

With security/check-in times plus baggage reclaim and transport from the airport there would be few if any door to door trips that could be done quicker by air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

John R wrote:
    Only Dublin Airport - Belfast international would be noticeably quicker by plane and I doubt that would be a popular door to door journey. Any other trip, even Dublin Airport - Belfast city centre would be as quick by other means.

It is just over a 2 hour trip by bus and there are departures every 1/2 hour or so throughout the day.

With security/check-in times plus baggage reclaim and transport from the airport there would be few if any door to door trips that could be done quicker by air.

A flight between Dublin and Belfast city centre in a passenger jet would take about 25 mins from take off to parking at the destination gate. In a turbo-prop plane it would be about 15 mins longer. All the associated security/check-in times plus baggage reclaim and transport from the airport would add at least 2.5-3 hours to the journey however. Flying to Belfast City, as opposed to the International airport, might knock 20 minutes of the trip as it's much closer to the city centre. All said, the bus or train would be substantially quicker.

BTW - there used to be a scheduled service between Cork and Derry AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I'm sure if such a service was viable then someone would be doing it. Perhaps it's demand that's the issue and not supply?

Advertisement