Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gay bar & club guide

Options
  • 30-03-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Where have you been partying since Dragon is closed? Is there any new or good gay club worth a visit in the weekend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I ended up in Break for the Border last Friday night which is apparently a Dragon night moved over there on Fridays. They had a great drag show (Dragged Up) but the cover charge of €15 was way over priced. Can't remember the last time I paid that into a nightclub - even during the height of the Celtic Tiger. Quite a young crowd there so felt a bit on the old side!!:)

Sweatbox in the Hub/Mezz on Eustace Street is great for old school deep house music! Also on Friday nights.

Mother of course is there on Saturdays but you have to get in early as it fills quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I remember going out in Dublin in the early 2000's and we went in to some nightclub called Spirit or something, some multi-floored place and it was €20 in. It was bloody shíte! Think it was close to Temple Bar so that's probably why.

As for gay venues, I have only ever been in The George and Dragon. I preferred Dragon but then again was never in the back part of George where the stage is, only the front bar. Any other places I have only heard of but never tried. Next time we go to Dublin we must try some of the other venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭tomato1234

ongarboy wrote: »
    I ended up in Break for the Border last Friday night which is apparently a Dragon night moved over there on Fridays. They had a great drag show (Dragged Up) but the cover charge of €15 was way over priced. Can't remember the last time I paid that into a nightclub - even during the height of the Celtic Tiger. Quite a young crowd there so felt a bit on the old side!!:)

Sweatbox in the Hub/Mezz on Eustace Street is great for old school deep house music! Also on Friday nights.

Mother of course is there on Saturdays but you have to get in early as it fills quickly.

Have to try Hub sometime. I will give mother club a miss because I did not enjoy my last visit. Have you tried the new front lounge and the new club called 4 Dame lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The Front Lounge refurb is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

ongarboy wrote: »

I was there too! Great show. I paid €20 for the meet and greet after the performance so now I feel silly haha, but still a solid venue!

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »

It is very nice but I can't help thinking it looks more like a swanky hotel lounge now. I just feel less encouraged to hang out there for a few pints now and not a fan of people eating around me if I'm heading out for drinks.

I get the impression they're going for the upmarket gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

I get the impression they are trying to avoid being pegged as a 'gay bar' and going for the straight crowd, hoping to have the best of both worlds.

I am not sure about that. I believe the change is due to the loss in business.

Well if anything the bar is packed more than ever. Was out in it a few times since the revamp and as recent as last Saturday and the only thing I've noticed after the food stops being served is how classy it all looks. There didn't seem to be as young a crowd I'll give you that but still equally as busy and as gay as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You really think so? I think they've ruined it. I refuse to go there now. Feels a bit 'straightened out' in terms of aesthetic. Maybe they just needed the business.

"Straightened out"? You're gonna have to explain that one to me!

"Straightened out"? You're gonna have to explain that one to me!

It has lost all of the decadent/flamboyant look it had before - hate the fake stone wall, Boring yellow/green walls, 'trendy' restaurant/kitchen section. Can't enjoy having a drink when my favourite section is filled with diners, and it feels weird having the bar and food sandwiched so close with no barrier. It feels like a castle hotel lobby, and the kind you find your grandparents going to lunch at on a Sunday afternoon! I was so gutted with what they did to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I get the impression it was that way even before the revamp

Didn't realise they served food! I must have visited at a different time. Afaik though, it was never "meant" to be a gay bar right? I could be completely wrong on that one, but I understood that it just sort of became a gay bar by default over time?

Didn't realise they served food! I must have visited at a different time. Afaik though, it was never "meant" to be a gay bar right? I could be completely wrong on that one, but I understood that it just sort of became a gay bar by default over time?
    It had an overhaul a while back, it's primarily a restaurant now, bottom/middle tier all set up with tables and a kitchen. Only the 'back lounge' is like what it used to be. It was never an all-out gay bar but it's definitely looking to shake off the 'gay' image. It looks like this and this now. Think it's pretty goddamn boring and I still mourn for the old days.

It's pretty much on trend for gay bars in liberal cities like Dublin to become more 'metro' for extreme want of a more appropriate word. Once money starts flowing again I'd expect to see another dedicated gay bar open up shop. Only probably a little further from Georges St area, which is well on its way to becoming completely gentrified/mainstreamed.

Anyone fancy giving a synopsis of the general crowds that these places attract? Age-wise, music etc.
    And where would be best (i.e. least awkward) for a loner who's brave/foolish enough to go out by himself? :p

Anyone fancy giving a synopsis of the general crowds that these places attract? Age-wise, music etc.
    And where would be best (i.e. least awkward) for a loner who's brave/foolish enough to go out by himself? :p

It depends on what you are into.

Panty bar
    If you are into older guys/leather/bears, Panty bar is the best place to go. They have Sat drag show, which is highlight of the week. Most people stay there before heading to the night club. although some people decide to stay for the night. It has a small dance area.

Break for the border
    This is weekend only gay night club. The weekend event is organised by the same management of Dragon. So if you like the dragon bar, this is the place to go. It invites special guests from Rupaul drag race show to boost sales. It attracts younger guys, club kids and trendy queens.

George
    The oldest gay bar and club in Ireland. So it promises the full house on Sat and Sunday. It attracts all sorts of local queens and tourists. Dance music starts after 10pm. Sunday bingo also worth a visit.

Front lounge
    The new front lounge attracts diners, people on the first dates and others who want to have a drink before clubbing. This is the place you can actually have a conversation with people.

Turks Head Bar & Nightclub
    Monthly event for guys are into leather and bears. It is a dark featured club with very cruise crowds. However if you are not putting any effort with leather gear, you may feel a bit lost.

4 Dame lane
    Weekend gay club attracts younger and tourist crowds. Downstairs is like a normal bar and upstairs has a dance area. It is very nice place to catch up with friends in the early event due to its unique location and lovely cocktails. But the place is a bit smaller than the other clubs.

There are some other places like Sweatbox and Mother, where I would like to go someday. Anyway, If you don't like to go out on your own, you should join the gay meetup group. They have monthly events with quite friendly crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

tomato1234 wrote: »
    Turks Head Bar & Nightclub
    Monthly event for guys are into leather and bears. It is a dark featured club with very cruise crowds. However if you are not putting any effort with leather gear, you may feel a bit lost.

Eh? Daddi?

• Advertisement

nozipcode wrote: »
    Eh? Daddi?

It's Daddi yeah, but I think the dates vary. Another monthly one is Geared at Fibber McGees, usually 3rd Sat of the month. Stricter with dress code though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

tomato1234 wrote: »
    It depends on what you are into.

Panty bar
    If you are into older guys/leather/bears, Panty bar is the best place to go. They have Sat drag show, which is highlight of the week. Most people stay there before heading to the night club. although some people decide to stay for the night. It has a small dance area.
    What?

Barna77 wrote: »
    What?
    That's what I was thinking too lol, more like 'your average gay'! Good mix of girls and guys in there. Maybe got confused with Nealons.

Barna77 wrote: »
    What?

Agreed! Tomato1234's description of Pantibar is rather inaccurate imo. It is probably the most "mainstream" gay bar these days and attracts pretty much every one (boys and girls) from 17 to 70, from your average joes to your hipsters. The music is always pretty lively and up tempo, there is a deliberate tendency for the bar staff to be eye candy but their service and professionalism is always top notch. DJs are on hand from about 9pm from Thursday to Saturday and I think they still do Sunday afternoon DJ'ing from about 4pm.

For solo punters, it's a pretty good bar to pop into for a drink as it has a very long bar and lots of wall seating too for people watching and cruising so you don't have to feel like you stand out.

As regards the George, I'd actually distinguish between the main George and Bridie's Bar adjoining it (affectionately known as Jurassic). Jurassic tends to attract a much older clientele interspersed with young people looking for breathing space from the other venues. The jukebox is renowned for playing camp/80s/Eurovision favourites. Another venue that is great for going for a solo drink in a traditional old style Dublin pub.

Kremlin in Belfast was great fun. Was there recently. Had a rather big mix of people but every single one of them I chatted to was friendly! So I wouldn't rule that out for anyone considering!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Where is good for lesbians? Most clubs seem more geared towards gay men. Im a guy but I have a female friend who thinks she might be bi and wants to go clubbing and get with a girl to see how it goes and I don't know where to bring her.

Advertisement