Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Councillor wants 'special understanding' for rural drink-drivers

• 05-01-2006 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

I mentioned this on a thread in humanities
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054868938
    But so unbelievable it is, that it deserves its own thread.

From the Irish Examiner today:

A Co Clare councillor has said rural dwellers should be excused from drink-driving.

Fianna Fáil Councillor Flan Garvey said people who visit pubs as their only social outlet are familiar with local roads and drive more carefully and slowly, especially when they have had a few drinks.

The elected local authority member has appealed for a "special understanding" to be shown.

He insists he does not condone drink-driving, but wants allowances made for certain people, such as those who live alone, and who would travel just a few miles to the pub once or twice a week.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...48&n=168104302

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

This is a completely typical rural mentality, I'll be grand after I've had a couple of drinks, sure I know the road !!. This has been going on in Ireland for as long as we've had cars and even before it. Why should people in the country side be excused from the drink driving laws ?? Are they special or something ? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

boardy wrote:
    I mentioned this on a thread in humanities
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054868938
    The elected local authority member has appealed for a "special understanding" to be shown.

He insists he does not condone drink-driving, but wants allowances made for certain people, such as those who live alone, and who would travel just a few miles to the pub once or twice a week.

80mg
    +20mg in the stix allowance
    +10mg live alone allowance
    +10mg only a few miles less likely to kill anyone else allowance
    +10mg EU rural depopulation allowance

... what an idiot.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Fianna Fáil Councillor Flan Garvey said people who visit pubs as their only social outlet are familiar with local roads and drive more carefully and slowly, especially when they have had a few drinks.
    Right, so people who live in cities aren't familiar with their local roads too? What a plonker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

dazberry wrote:
    80mg

... what an idiot.

D.

That's funny.

In fact, when I heard about this news item, I thought it was a practical joke until actually reading it on the breaking news section of the Irish Examiner.
    I'm still a bit stunned and speechless from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Check out this goon's website http://flangarvey.com/xn.serve/home

Among the list of things that Flan stands for:
    Fair and equitable insurance charges for all.

Suppose we should have reduced insurance rates for the poor lads down in Clare too...

Where's that wall when I need it? Oh there it is *GUH-DUNK*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

typical rural attitude *some* people display while us young dubliners get crippled on insurance.
    let the muppet know what you think of him

Telephone: 065 683 6635
    Mobile: 086 810 9449
    Fax: 065 683 6635
    Email: flan@flangarvey.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How does the accident rate for rural drivers around pub closing hours compare to normal daytime driving ?
    Surely Dubs should be allowed to do the same due the the lack of Taxi's - it would be even safer for them since the roads are lit.

Also just how many TD's are/were publicans ?

Special Understanding ?
    How about the time Sheedy got let out after a year after killing someone.
    That set such a good example that at least one politician since had to be stopped by a truck driver cos he was driving on the wrong side of the dual carraige way. Also from the same party was the Special Understanding about a good car on a good road with a good driver on a good day.

You can tell a lot about people by the company they keep. Elected FF'ers have a lot of dangerous driving incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The tabs should have a go at him using their standard templates:

FFer backs drunks shock!

Mother of 8-year old knocked down by a drunk, Mrs A Doyle, says FF Councillor Gob Sh!te should be "shot for inciting murder". However, councillor Sh!te has some supporters. "Greash man, when he'sh in the pub any f*ckin Peeler who tries to close it ish transhferred to them Aran Islandsh" says Moe Dole, 46, of Handout Alley, Knockanee. (continued page 7,8,9,12 and 14).

heggie wrote:

He is now aware of my displeasure. I seemed to have lost the 'speechless' problem I had earlier.

Have the feeling that he will be laying low for a while.
    And of course, he will respond with the usual "It was taken out of context" or "I was misquoted" excuse.

Just had a thought:
    If he thinks that it's ok for rural dwellers to drink and drive, what are the chances of him driving his car after a few drinks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If FF had any self respect they would expel him from the party. This man should be charged with inciting others to drink drive (or they should create a new offence if that doesn't exist!). Fcuking twat. You can tell he's never lost any family to a drink driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

moron! of course this is the mindset Charlie McCreevey was looking for with his decentralisation problem as there was a problem with the dublin mindset.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

heggie wrote:
    typical rural attitude *some* people display while us young dubliners get crippled on insurance.

People South of the border get shafted on insurance - period!!!!!!!

I'm from a rural background in Northern Ireland and would be completely against this - what kind of idiot is this.
    Let the brave man deal with the aftermath of a car accident like i had to that left people dead and he'll soon change his mind.

For the record the accident invovled a car that was travelling below the legal speed limit and who's driver had consumed no alchol and i was amongst those that arrived on the scene first.
    Rural roads are dangerous enough without drunks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 The Sisco Kid

Can't you see that this is the reason why Ireland will never get serious about tackling drink driving. I had a conversation in work on this topic a while back with someone from Meath who said that their dad always drives home from the pub (how else is he supposed to get home?!) and that it would be an awful shame if he was denied his night out.

I am sure that there are a large number of (rural)voters who agree with this idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I am sure that there are a large number of (rural)voters who agree with this idiot.

There are a hell of a lot of (rural) voters who don't, however, agree with him.

I don't know what planet he is on. Drunk drivers only think they drive more carefully. There's no basis to believe they actually succeed in this endeavour and plenty of basis to believe that they fail dreadfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 The Sisco Kid

Calina wrote:
    There are a hell of a lot of (rural) voters who don't, however, agree with him.

I take your point, but assuming that this guy is reasonably intelligent then we can assume he thinks his statement is a vote winner. It's very easy for us to dismiss him, but I think his views are more widely held then we think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I take your point, but assuming that this guy is reasonably intelligent then we can assume he thinks his statement is a vote winner. It's very easy for us to dismiss him, but I think his views are more widely held then we think.

But not just in rural areas. It's an issue in Dublin too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Some other contacts to address your emails to:

taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie
    info@fiannafail.ie
    info@transport.ie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i think that's an absolute disgrace. i've seen some of the damage that speeding etc even without drink driving can do to people. this man should be expelled from the party, no excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭Archeron

You're bang on there. I live in a rural town, and some of the pubs are kind of in the middle of nowhere. Every single night (as with all pubs in Ireland) there are dozens of cars parked outside. I've seen on occasion people who were too drunk to walk getting into cars and driving off with no lights on on dangerous back roads. Its sickening that so many people still think that its alright to do this just because you dont have a bus to bring you to the pub. If the gardai want to start making changes then its fairly obvious where they should target, but for some strange reason, there are rarely check points near pubs. Hmmmmm. Drink driving is not okay under any circumstances. If you have no other way to get to the pub, then stay at home. Unfortunately with about 2 or 3 dozen people driving to pretty much every pub every night, this doesnt seem to be a widely held belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd lay good money right now that he gets re-elected next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Archeron wrote:
    If the gardai want to start making changes then its fairly obvious where they should target, but for some strange reason, there are rarely check points near pubs. Hmmmmm.
    I put this exact question to the local Superintendent. He said that the publicans would claim harassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Considering the deaths on the roads are primarily isolated to rural areas I can't see any logical person making this claim.
    I get the social aspect but as many cops in rural areas allow it as is so allowing the law to be changed is just stupid. I think he should be just kicked out of the party as there are certain things that are not acceptable.

In saying that I can never get over the amount of people who come from rural background who think drink driving is fine. It may be the young people dying but it is the apathy of the older people who cause the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

BTW if anyone is e-mailing a politician they should also include a full address. Most politicians will delete correspondence that do not have a response address.

Anyone see this genius on TV3 news tonight?

I thought that he would be laying low for a while, but no. He decides to appear on national TV to float his idea.

Maybe there is a parallel universe of weirdom out there, and maybe we just got a glimpse of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

glad to see noone supports this prat......(noone who willa dmit it probably....:mad: ).....zero tolerance I say.....if you want to drive NO drink.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

boardy wrote:
    Anyone see this genius on TV3 news tonight?

Yes - as bold as brass he was. Couldn't help feel that he looked like a publican - but that could just be the cynic playing up in me this evening :)

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

our road fatalities are one of the highest body count and this idiot wants a special derogation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Perhaps Dubs should have special dispensations when it comes to manslaughter?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote:
    Perhaps Dubs should have special dispensations when it comes to manslaughter?
    Yeah they get out after a year. :rolleyes:
    [/broken record]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

daymobrew wrote:
    I put this exact question to the local Superintendent. He said that the publicans would claim harassment.

I'm from a rural area, and every night over Christmas the Guards were driving up and down the village, watching everyone leave the 2 pubs - and it did deter people from driving home after a few drinks - you could see all the cars still parked outside the pubs on the way home every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I really wish someone would drag this ignorant fcker out of bed in the middle of the night and bring him to some fatal accident caused by some 'poor rural fella who'd only had a few'.

Or maybe he could have a chat with the emergency services who have to deal with this sort of incident all the time.

Unbelievable to think an elected representitive can come out with that in 2006. It'll say a lot about FF if he's not given the boot asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

got to agree with Zebra three.....well said Starsky...

My Missus is a Paramedic and she tells me that,very often accident drivers are obviously over the limit but the Gards seem relcutant to pursue or have there hands tied by the formalities.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

My wife was involved in an accident a few years ago with a Dublin Corporation truck, Friday afternoon about 4:00pm. The driver lost it on a straight road and nearly killed her and the occupants of another car. When the Gardai arrived my wife asked that everyone be breathalysed as there was a very strong smell of drink off the truck driver. The Garda replied "If I do that the man will loose his job" and didn't breathalyse anyone. What do you do in those circumstances? The Garda should loose his job if you ask me.

Hagar wrote:
    My wife was involved in an accident a few years ago with a Dublin Corporation truck, Friday afternoon about 4:00pm. The driver lost it on a straight road and nearly killed her and the occupants of another car. When the Gardai arrived my wife asked that everyone be breathalysed as there was a very strong smell of drink off the truck driver. The Garda replied "If I do that the man will loose his job" and didn't breathalyse anyone. What do you do in those circumstances? The Garda should loose his job if you ask me.

That Garda should have been reported. What happens if the same Corporation driver isn't so lucky the next time and kills someone? Where is the deterrent here? Punishments and fines are in place so as to not only punish an offence but also act as a deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Zebra3 wrote:
    Unbelievable to think an elected representitive can come out with that in 2006. It'll say a lot about FF if he's not given the boot asap.

i dont think anything needs to be said about FF, look, if they didnt boot their minister who drove the wrong way down a motorway drunk, they wont do anything to this idiot too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Someone should email this thread to FF headquarters too.
    If i could be bothered emailing the useless shower i would but i tellyou what.
    I dont yet know where my vote is going in the next election yet, but after this it definitely WONT be FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

I hear this morning on Newstalk that a Fine Gael councillor from county tipperary wants people to be allowed to drink and drive. He is believed to have said, the evidence suggests the accidents are caused by young drivers not drink drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

JimmySmith wrote:
    Someone should email this thread to FF headquarters too.
    If i could be bothered emailing the useless shower i would but i tellyou what.
    I dont yet know where my vote is going in the next election yet, but after this it definitely WONT be FF.
    sure don't forget how an FF TD knocked down a woman while drunk driving and didn't even get charged.
    this kinda crap goes on all the time, as it's the older generations who vote and the older generations who drink drive therefore it's in prats like this' interest to be supporting the local murderers eh sorry i mean harmless drink drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

FG's method as taken from the Indo:
    Councillor admits getting behind wheel after 'three or four pints'

FINE Gael has been plunged into an embarrassing controversy after one of its politicians openly admitted he drinks and drives.

Tipperary councillor Michael Fitzgerald (50), who has a previous drink-driving conviction, said he sees nothing wrong with motorists having "three or four pints" before getting behind the wheel.

He insisted such people were being wrongly targeted for the carnage on our roads.

But a "furious" Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny last night effectively expelled councillor Cllr Fitzgerald from the party after hearing the comments.

He is to recommend that the whip be removed, putting him outside the party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Feel free to email this guy at cllrmlfitzgerald@southtippcoco.ie and voice your opinion directly.

It never hurts to let him know what people think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

heggie wrote:

It's more likely that an accident happens on the country B roads than dublin with all the urban sprawl to kildare / meath etc.. the insurance companies are actually classing these area's as higher risk than some parts of dublin... so i think they are crippling everyone.. TBH

I've lived both Dublin and country and the insurance doesn't really differ a great deal.. I had no accidents in Dublin but one serious one on a B road in Meath with a truck & 30ft trailer in the middle of the road on a bend.. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I am absolutely amazed at the stone age attitudes of some politicians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭SeanW

FFS its never ok to drink and drive.

What the hell is wrong with these people?

Alcohol consumption dulls ones senses and makes driving unsafe. If you've had some booze, you're not fit to drive. End of story.

And just because there's no pub in walking distance is not an excuse. You can get a taxi, or a bus, organise a rotation of dedicated drivers among friends, or, if you really have to drive to the pub, sleep it off in the carpark. Or better yet, abstain from alcohol altogether either totally or except for special occasions/celebrations.

I hope this idiot loses his license for a long time. What he does is inexcusable and his defence is lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This kind of crap is based on the premise that if people don't drink then they have no incentive to socialise, as if people can't go out and have a bit of craic without getting plastered. The whole thing is illogical, it suggests that there is some amount of alcohol that makes a material difference to conversation in the pub, but doesn't make any difference to your driving ability. Many people believe this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Look lads,
    Accidents happen on country roads beacause the country roads are in a terrible condition, we have more than twice the amount of cars on the roads now than we had 10 years ago, we have more than 200,000 people on the roads with provo licences, 20% of accidents are found to be caused by people with drugs in their system.

There are many causes of accidents, to listen to people on this board you would think nobody in Dublin takes a drop and drives,( by the way I live in dublin, before you call me a culchie) with the amount of high moral ground in the last couple of posts you could look down on the spire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

dazberry wrote:
    80mg

... what an idiot.

D.

and perhaps a 10mg allowance if you have a medical card

if the powers that be want to do something then they should zero rate soft drinks (currently 21%) so they become cheaper then alcoholic ones, you see in the real world (assuming they don't intend getting sloshed for the pure crraic) the ordinary person considers cost as he orders a drink.

Advertisement