Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - trying to find a running group

Options
  • 26-01-2015 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am hoping some of you could help me.
    I started running a couple of years ago in Kilkenny with an amazing coach and there was a bunch of women a few men in the group twice a week. We used all have a chat and the time flew.
    I am back in Dublin now.
    Got involved with a fit for life group but I am really not enjoying it.
    Everyone is very competitive. I am not at the Run with Tina stage but not at the run 10km in 30 minutes either.
    The coach is very nice but before Christmas we were running the phoenix park and I wanted to do the shorter route as I had calf trouble (7km) but this young girl it was her first night said she wanted to do the longer route so the coach let me job home alone through the phoenix park alone! Another night we were doing hills and I was left on my own in the dark doing the same.
    There were one or two at my level who I have never seen again. Saw them once.
    I now dread going and just avoid going cause its not friendly and too advanced for me.
    can anyone suggest a running group that is friendly and you have a chat and a run and you improve? I work in city centre and live close to the phoenix park.
    many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

What part of the City are you living, so we can give you the most suitable club or group

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

i live in kilmainham and i work in city centre just off baggot street
    thank you,
    i have really grown to love running but just need to find the right group
    i am 41 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Two clubs close to you would be
    Donore Harriers in Chapelizod, I'm pretty sure they have a fit4Life group
    and
    Liffey Valley AC in Islandbridge, not sure if they do

but your best option would be to come out to Brothers Pearse in Knocklyon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    Two clubs close to you would be
    Donore Harriers in Chapelizod, I'm pretty sure they have a fit4Life group
    and
    Liffey Valley AC in Islandbridge, not sure if they do

but your best option would be to come out to Brothers Pearse in Knocklyon ;)

Ray, what kind of commission are you on?

I should probably be telling the adults to feck off and we'll stick with juveniles - much less trouble :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

And of course you would always be welcome at your local parkrun ,Waterstown , just down the road from you in palmerstown.
    http://www.parkrun.ie/waterstown/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 yantz

I've found the Runner's Support Page on Facebook fantastic- full of knowledgeable, caring people who won't judge you.

a group of people talking online - like right here in this forum - can be great, but its not the same as joining a club and training with other people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

My worry about an online group is 2 fold :)

(1) You get lots of advice & constructive criticism - some of it conflicting! - so you'll need to take some of it with a pinch of salt.
    (2) You get 100% support but no one telling you to work harder, do things differently. - This can be somewhat unhelpful to you as an improving athlete.

Once you approach an online community with an open mindset, then it can be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hehe talking about commission (I'm not getting any!) but I would recommend Donore. They have built up a fabulous ladies section over the years which caters for all abilities. The legendary Jim Mac will welcome you, as will many others there.

(Disclaimer: I am not even a member :D but we go back a long way...)

Edit: oops I presumed you are female but if not the men's section will welcome you with equally open arms :D

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    a group of people talking online - like right here in this forum - can be great, but its not the same as joining a club and training with other people

Sorry. #RSP isn't just an online community. We have t-shirts and meet up as well. IMO better for a new person than a club as no judgement/ bragging about times is allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

yantz wrote: »
    I've found the Runner's Support Page on Facebook fantastic- full of knowledgeable, caring people who won't judge you.

I think ultraman1 is the go to guy if you're looking for more information about this particular group :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sorry. #RSP isn't just an online community. We have t-shirts and meet up as well. IMO better for a new person than a club as no judgement/ bragging about times is allowed
    I know what you're talking about...last Thursday at our club session we had a brilliant interval session: 6*6 min judging off 5 sec recovery/draw breath followed by a warm down of bragging. We warmed up with some general looking down our noses. It was great. I got a PB...

But seriously, sorry you've had bad experiences with club runners but pleeeeease don't tar us all with the same brush :(

Sorry. #RSP isn't just an online community. We have t-shirts and meet up as well.

Same as Boards then. A bunch of us have Boards.ie running gear, and regularly meet up before, during, and after races. Boards was even an actual club for a while, registered with AAI and members competed in Dublin and national competitions as boardsies.

But boards, like #RSP, didn't have regular training sessions, and eventually people decided to join real, local clubs so they could train with other people
    IMO better for a new person than a club as no judgement/ bragging about times is allowed

do you have much experience of running clubs?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Surely judgement/constructive criticism/suggestions for improvement is a good thing and not a bad thing?

The main problem I have with boards is most of the comments I get are of the "well done" variety, which are of course welcome but if I'm doing something wrong or missing something obvious I'd like to hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

If you are on Facebook, check out Waterstown Warriors in Palmerstown - just starting out with about 100+ graduated from Couch to 5k in under a year and now moving on to 10k or longer. Know some of them and it's a nice atmosphere, but the work still gets done. Think they are registering as an AAI club soon.

I'm a member of another club training in the park, would probably be in Donore if the adult nights were different and I do the odd session with Dublin Runners (Meetup Group) do try as many options as you can to find what works for you.

As for the coach that left you alone in the park ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

OP - google Dublin Runners meetup.

Several groups run in the Phoneix Park (plus loads more areas) and cater for all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You have to look at both sides of the discussion.

There is a whole lot of 'them vs us' going on with RSP at the moment.

I think it is fantastic that there is enough interest and organisation to pull together like minded people who are positive enough about what they are doing to encourage each other to do more and more running.

There is also a naivety about RSP that is refreshing as everyone is discovering their way. It all depends on what each and every person wants out of it.

To any experienced runner looking into RSP there are mistakes being made. Achieving PB's in training, running too hard, over complicating nutrition. These are areas that people on boards have gained massively from experienced contributors over years. In offering advice no-one is being critical for the sake of it, it is generally constructive and if engaged with benefits will quickly arrive.

Unfortunately due to the actions of one or two trolls (who trolled everywhere and seem to have a major insecurity (?) about RSP) the group is up in arms and (justifiably) very defensive with other running communities.

Don't rule out the massive benefit of running with a club. You get the same level of social support and I have never, ever witnessed people bragging or jeering at others.

For everyones sake please drop the 'them vs us' thing though.

I wish it was that funny Pistol. Unfortunately there are some deranged individuals involved with this troll attack. They created fake Facebook profiles, the works. I think they were calling themselves the "Joggers Support Page" disgusting carry on really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I wish it was that funny Pistol. Unfortunately there are some deranged individuals involved with this troll attack. They created fake Facebook profiles, the works. I think they were calling themselves the "Joggers Support Page" disgusting carry on really.

Totally agree.

Disgusting and deranged individuals as you so accurately described. I don't think you quite went far enough with your description of said individuals though. They should be banned from both clubs and races. I don't know how they can look themselves in the mirror. It's hard to combat a good old troll, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Be the bigger person and ignore it. The trolls were dealt with by the admins.

Sticks and stones ...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

I'm sorry but I find it very hard to agree with this statement as if I'm not mistaken there are posted of garmin watches with distance covered and time which in some eyes could be considered bragging. You may meet up but it is general for the odd race or training plus some of the advice given is just wrong on many levels.

Joining a club you get contact time with a coach and variation in sessions. Also in my training group we quite regularly brag about our times as it motivates us more. Some runners run to be faster and succeed while others just for enjoyment

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

To answer the original question of the forum I would arecommend Donore or Liffey Valley. Two great clubs with great spirit and both with fantastic coaches overlooking the club structure

Advertisement