Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Orienteering - the basics

Options
  • 21-01-2015 11:42am

One here in Kerry on Sunday advertised as a "come and try it event".

http://www.orienteering.ie/fixture/full?id=404

Wouldn't mind having a go to keep up the off road stuff, seems to be more orienteering events in Kerry than IMRA ones. Have done a fair bit of hiking and trail/hill running so not afraid of getting mucky or looking at maps, though not sure how sharp the navigational skills need to be. I'm a "point compass and head off in rough direction" person.

The orienteering site gives an example illustrated by reference to a map...but the map isn't shown in the "how do I get around my course" section...

http://www.orienteering.ie/frequently-asked-questions

So a bit vague as to what one gets, is it a map or just a card with symbols, is it a running test or navigational one, is accurate compass work (ie. taking account of magnetic declination) and pacing necessary, how long will the event last (I prefer 2 hour outings to 15 minute ones) and so on.

Any tips gratefully received, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Orienteering is great craic for all the family. https://amphkingwest.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/finding-your-way-in-orienteering/

It is also very competitive too. Plenty of events on in the west too with our local club hosting a series of introductory events around Galway http://www.chillr.org/?p=11

Most of the beginner events will give you a map and a punch card for each control point. More serious races will require map skills and navigation with compass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I haven't done any in Kerry but the ones organised by the Cork/Waterford orienteering clubs are lots of fun. When you register you pick which course you want to do. The courses are given a colour based on how long they are and how difficult the controls are to find. Yellow/ Orange is beginner. Green novice. Red Blue more technical and Brown is the hardest I think. For your first time it would be better to do the easiest course available on the day and you can always do another one when you're finished. The harder courses can be very tricky especially if the landscape has very few distinguishing features. The easier courses don't rely much on the compass but basic map reading skills are required. The more technical courses will rely the compass and very good map reading skills. With the bigger clubs they generally just give you a sheet at registration with the symbols of the controls on it. No written description is given. You collect them in order by punching the card or more commonly by using an SI card/dibber. If you don't have your own SI card you can rent one at registration for a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gerry Hat Trick

Hi Conor

I don't know if you did one of the IMRA Navigation Challenges which are similar. Basically turn up with any clothes / shoes you don't mind getting dirty - a bit like an IMRA race but you must have full leg cover (tracksuit bottoms/leggings), and a whistle. Jackets/cagoule may be mandatory depending on weather on the day. The compass will be ideal if you have one but is certainly not necessary for the easiest courses. Also bring a clear plastic bag to keep your map dry. And don't forget a warm change of clothes / hot drink / lunch etc

The organisers will give you a map with the checkpoints already marked on it. Either on the map or on a separate sheet of paper there will be additional information with the code number and a description of each checkpoint. For €1-2 they will also rent you the electronic timing card which replaces the old "punch" system and is used to record the time you arrive at each checkpoint. If it sounds complicated it's actually very simple when you see it

Orienteering maps are slightly different to your normal OSI maps so it's worth getting familiar with the legend before you start. Also the scale is much more detailed 1:10,000 and as a regular runner it is easy to underestimate the distance covered and overshoot the checkpoint.

Navigation and especially route choice is paramount. After that it's speed but it's no good being fast if you are going in the wrong direction. For that reason regular runners would be well advised to walk/slowly jog the first few legs concentrating on getting familiar with the map. On the harder courses a direct compass bearing may not be possible in Muckross if it takes you through rhodendron / marsh etc. The course planner will usually set 2-3 possible route choices to each checkpoint - it may be better to run further along a reliable/road track to avoid taking a direct but slower route through dense forestry etc. Similarly a longer route contouring round a hill may be faster than then direct up and down route. Accurate compass work is critical in open mountainside / flat bland forestry but for this part of Muckross the best plan is to use the road/path/field network as far as you can moving reasonably quickly and then using the compass /pacing from the last known point while then slowly double checking the terrain until you find the checkpoint

Each leg will typically be 400--600m and unlike OSI the map is set to magnetic North so no need to adjust your bearing apart from the normal "aiming off" slightly to one side

Usually you can start anytime between 11am and 1pm. Courses close (checkpoints removed) from about 2;30-3:00 pm so if you are going to try a longer course better to start as early as possible. On the longest course the fastest (national standard) orienteer will take about 60 minutes; slow but experienced orienteers will take up to two hours; and IMRA runners trying it for the first time could take 2-3 hours ironically because they are moving too fast for their navigation skills. If you want to get good at orienteering quickly then you will learn more by walking most of the course for the first few events.

For anyone not from a hillrunning/navigation background don't be put off by this post. All events have easier / shorter courses from 1.5-2km (30-60minutes) suitable for complete beginners including children. It's all very informal and the organisers in Kerry O will be very happy to give you advice before you start as well

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Are there events like this in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

yaboya1 wrote: »

Yip. Loads ... http://www.orienteering.ie/fixture

• Advertisement

Great fun, thanks for all the pointers.

Did the simple orange map first, got back in 15 mins or so so skipped the next level up and went to light green, no description, bit more compass based, all thoroughly enjoyable.

Doing my third today and thinking of chancing green. Guess moving on and up is the only way of learning the symbols, testing the compass skills etc. Other 2 were really more map reading and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

sounds like you haven't go royally lost yet. Keep up the good work, and don't mind the aul wan that you keep passing having a faster time than you.

Another enjoyable outing today, although my style is still a triumph of running and enthusiasm over map reading skills. But confident enough with the compass, do a lot of hiking anyway. I must reduce the clutter, trying to hold the map, compass and dibber keeps both hands full which isn't ideal when flying along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

yaboya1 wrote: »

Setanta are having a free urban orienteering event tonight in Ballinteer, D16.
    http://www.setantaorienteers.org/ it's described on the home page there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fingal orienteers are also having an event this Sunday at Cahore beach in Wexford not far from Gorey.

Another enjoyable outing today, although my style is still a triumph of running and enthusiasm over map reading skills.

Nothing much wrong with your skills either judging from the results! Torc is a bit of a step up from the previous event in Muckross but it's a great technical area for mapreading and compasswork (as long as you can avoid the rhododendron). The green course is just 1-2km shorter than the hardest brown course but technically it is designed to be every bit as difficult otherwise so well done.

Keep an eye on orienteering.ie for the upcoming fixtures. There is a great 3 day event to watch out for on open mountain around Glengarriff at the start of June

Nothing much wrong with your skills either judging from the results...

Some youngster was a real flyer. First one took ages, I guess the inexperience showed when I rushed off to locate it instead of getting my bearings and allowing myself a short time to take stock beforehand. Was definitely getting more confident in my compass work as the event progressed.

Saw that event in Glengarriff alright, will try a few more between now and then. Anything west of Cork City is within driving range for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

There is a great 3 day event to watch out for on open mountain around Glengarriff at the start of June

Fantastic as that event will be, its surely stretching things a lot to have it mentioned in a thread titles "Orienteering - the basics" :)

Enduro wrote: »
    Fantastic as that event will be, its surely stretching things a lot to have it mentioned in a thread titles "Orienteering - the basics" :)

Apologies with extra clarifications for Enduro - I should have said its held over 3 days not a 72hour event! As for the basics like all events it will have courses for all comers from 12 to 80 years. The hard part I always find is not getting put off by the 12/80 year old who keeps popping up in front of me at each control!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

I knew that alright, but probably a good idea to clarify it nonetheless! As I say... fantastic event (and located in one of the most scenic parts of Ireland). Well worth going along to for anyone with any interest in orienteering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Apologies with extra clarifications for Enduro - I should have said its held over 3 days not a 72hour event! As for the basics like all events it will have courses for all comers from 12 to 80 years. The hard part I always find is not getting put off by the 12/80 year old who keeps popping up in front of me at each control!!

Unless they are running the same course, its possible they are on a different course and the controls are in a different order for them and they just happen to overlap.
    Its been a while since I orienteered, but its not a sport I ever considered social, but I wasnt in a club so didnt know anyone, people seemed to turn up, run their course and go home?

Advertisement