Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running around Galway this weekend...

Options
  • 27-01-2015 10:27pm

...heading up Friday.

Any good runs on around the place Saturday? Preferably off road/trail/mountain, but roads fine.

Or any good trails of about 20km or so for a training run, if nothing on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Parkrun Saturday in Cappagh Park.
    Coldwood 4 Mile on Sunday.

If you can't find a trail, I'd recommend following the waterways from Dangan NUiG Sports Centre to Salthill.
    Corrib -> Canal -> Quayside -> Salthill - especially nice at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Knocknacarra ParkRun (5k) if you're into that - two laps of a tight loop - you could do 8-10 loops?

In the city Dangan is really a great place for running off road in any weather. You'll get a loop of about 3-4k if you run around the boundaries, longer if you head down the riverbank path to NUI Galway and back.

Start wherever you're staying and taking in a loop of the Prom in Salthill all the way to the caravan park at the end. Close to 10k from Spanish Arch to the caravan park and back if you hug the shoreline. Keep going out West for a longer run - footpath out past Barna.

Loads of options out the country. Derroura MTB trail is decent for a bit of hill running - about 16k but it'll feel longer with all that climbing.

Galway City Harriers do a group run about 10-11 miles leaving the Cathedral 9am sharp Sunday. Hilly enough for the first few miles, and can turn brisk later in the run.

Similar thoughts...
    Coldwood 4 Mile on Sunday.
    Think that was last Sunday. Results here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Whoops! A bit hasty searching for a race. ;)

Great, thanks for all the pointers.

I see on the Orienteering website that there is an outing in Crestwood Park on Sunday so that's a possibility too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Great, thanks for all the pointers.

I see on the Orienteering website that there is an outing in Crestwood Park on Sunday so that's a possibility too.

Orienteering is grand but a bit stop/start I think... Let me know where you will be based and I'll try plot out an auld route for you...

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Orienteering is grand but a bit stop/start I think... Let me know where you will be based and I'll try plot out an auld route for you...

Thanks, think the Connaught Hotel.

Don't mind the stop start element, it happens frequently in mountain runs anyway, or at least changing speed up and down, so well used to it.

Don't mind the stop start element...

10am this Saturday starting Dangan Pavillion there'll be a bunch doing 5×5 min off 75seconds. Arrive with warm-up done if you want to join in. Jog from the Connacht hotel is about right (~4k).

10am this Saturday starting Dangan Pavillion there'll be a bunch doing 5×5 min off 75seconds.

Oh thanks for that.

Now must just figure out what 5×5 min off 75 seconds means! I'm afraid my training is just gym and then long slow runs off road!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Hi Conor, there's a good bit of trail along the coast from Barna to Spiddal. I've only found it in the past week unfortunately. If you're up again give me a shout as I'll have most of it sussed out in the next few weeks.

There are a lot of lovely bog roads in the Casla-Camus area too if you're out that direction. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

...heading up Friday.

Any good runs on around the place Saturday? Preferably off road/trail/mountain, but roads fine.

Or any good trails of about 20km or so for a training run, if nothing on?

Ok, TBH not much in the way of trails/mountain if your starting from the connacht. You could do this out and back route(14 mile total) along the coast as mentioned earlier... connacht to silverstrand ... It a nice somewhat scenic route but relatively flat..

Lots of good ideas already posted, if you had a car you could drive out a bit for more of a mountainous run or trails out Micilin Muc's direction...

Reviving this thread as heading up there again the first weekend of February, have to go to something on Saturday night 6th Feb.

Will be in training for Tralee marathon at that stage...my last outing on the roads ever...kinda pressed into it. Anyway, will be looking to go for a long run at some stage that weekend, so if anyone knows anything on that would be great. If nothing on, might head out for one of the longer ones suggested here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Depending on where you are staying, you could hit the trails at Roscahill or Derroura on the North side, Derrybrien or Kylebrack woods on the South near Loughrea. Some nice scenic coastline around Renville & Maree you can run the coast & shoreline (it's rough).

Staying in Barna, but can travel.

But so far thinking the routes between there and Spiddal on one side and Silverstrand and Salthill on the other look like the obvious ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Staying in Barna, but can travel.

But so far thinking the routes between there and Spiddal on one side and Silverstrand and Salthill on the other look like the obvious ones...

Some lovely stuff in Barna woods - we did some orienteering there a few years ago http://galwaybarnawoods.com/interactive-map/ nothing too wild or hilly, just nice ground underfoot.

It's this weekend.

On the off chance anyone here planning a long slow run in Galway on Saturday, let me know.

Galway City Harriers do a group run about 10-11 miles leaving the Cathedral 9am sharp Sunday. Hilly enough for the first few miles, and can turn brisk later in the run.

Joined this crowd. Jogged in from Barna to warm up, which was possibly as well as they hit the hills pretty quickly. Great outing though, nice to get 11 miles in, and pace pretty good, think it was around the 1 hour 17 or 18 mark at the end so good and intense 7 min miles.

Advertisement