Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another CAO question (about round one offers)

Options
  • 31-01-2016 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi I'm a bit confused about the round offer system in the CAO and was hoping someone could explain.

If I put down 10 choices, assuming I have the requirements for all of them, am I just accepted to them all and then have to choose?

I ask because I put down UCD as my first choice but I'm not 100% sure I'll get the points on the course I applied for there, and I'm still not sure which of the 2 courses I applied for (to various colleges) I want to do, so, perhaps stupidly, I just took the 'shotgun approach' and applied to as many universities/ITs with my 2 favourite courses and hope that I get a place in a college next year.

Should I put my first choice as the college/course I'm most confident I will 'qualify' for or the one I really want to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

Always always ALWAYS in order of preference.

If you have the entry requirements for all, then it comes down to points. If you have the points for your first preference, you will only be offered a place on that course, and on no other course. If you only get enough points for your second preference, similarly you will only be offered a place on that course and on no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

You should put down the one you really want to do first because you never know what the points will be

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You will only get one offer. Put the course you want the most first.

If you get 500 points and have all the subject requirements and your choices end up with the following cutoff points

1. UCD 510
    2 TCD 490
    3. UCC 480
    4. UL 560
    5. NUIG 475

You wouldn't be eligible for UL or UCD on this list. Of your remaining choices you will be offered your highest preference, so in the example above you would be offered TCD.

You are then removed from the lists for courses 3, 4 and 5 because you were offered a higher preference.

You can accept that choice or not. In Round 2 *if* the points dropped for UCD to say 495, then you would be offered a place on the UCD course, you could choose to accept it and it would automatically cancel your TCD course, or you could reject it and keep the TCD course.

Advertisement