Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Laptop @ SSD upgrade.

Options
  • 26-08-2015 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭

Have an RS520 Samsung Laptop I bought 3 or 4 years ago through recommendations on here,
    It has been working away excellent through several factory restores via hidden partition.
    But I thought it was time for a speed increase so bu=ought an ssd drive for it.
    I thought it would be the usual format and install win 7 but several hiccups along the way.
    One being I tried several copies of win 7 for the install but all of the had the fan running constantly when booted up and the was quiet hot coming from it.
    I looked in taskman and I noticed cpu was running around 40% and Mem was at 30% ( 6 gig ram installed )
    SVChost was using 26% or something like that so maybe that is the culprit.

Other issue was the screen looked as if it was at the wrong resolution at 1024 X 768

The proper setting is normally at 1366 x 768.

I tried the samsung driver search util and it found nothing wrong
    I also used a third party driver updater and it updated 18 or so drivers etc..

I thin TRIED to clone the original drive to the ssd and refitted it. Get an error then a blue screen saying this copy of windows was not genuine.

Am I doing something totally wrong here?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Those steps sound logical to me.

Hmmm...

Is the drive mode set to ACHI in the BIOS? That's an important change, and usually results in BSODs when running an SSD without this option enabled.

I would also wonder if the machine was indexing files for search or something weird after the install. But it's hard to say, and I'll admit that that shouldn't really have caused the slowness you described.

I'll have a bit more of a think and get back to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Well, Got most of th eissues sorted. Installed yet another version of win7 and scoured Samsung support site for drivers and whatnot.
    One last thing on it though was battery life was drastically reduced with the ssd installed.
    Went from just over 2 hours life to about 48 minutes.
    Once I started the laptop it was fine but after probably less than one minute the fan would start blowing like crazy and really hot air coming out after 2~3 minutes.

I opened taskman again and right clicked on svchost.exe and chose "Go to Services"
    In here there were several services hilighted in light blue so I started disabling them one by one to check if any helped.
    First one was Windows update.
    Disabled that and the fan almost immediately slowed down and within a minute the battery life was showing much more remaining,

even though it is showing 32 mins remaining on 34%
    That still only looks like not much more than an hour for full charge.
    I will charge it again later and see what life it has.

If you can think of anything else give me a holler.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It's so strange as it's been reinstalled so many times, I just can't understand why you have runaway processes that seem to be killing your system. Unless Windows Update is just going nuts trying to download a few years worth of updates (and maybe even Windows 10 at the same time...).

I would let the machine update for a good while while on power and get it fully up to date and then see if things settle. It's a weird one! You have me stumped!

Yes. I am inclined to agree with you there. Windows going nuts trying to update. I am going to allow updates while plugged in for a few days to get on top of it.

Windows 10.
    Have you tried it?
    Has crossed my mind should I upgrade to it.

vectra wrote: »
    Yes. I am inclined to agree with you there. Windows going nuts trying to update. I am going to allow updates while plugged in for a few days to get on top of it.

Windows 10.
    Have you tried it?
    Has crossed my mind should I upgrade to it.

I have it on 2 systems at the moment. And it's good, whether or not you'd see any difference or benefit is debatable. My performance on my ultrabook has remained the same to be honest. Not better or worse. But I felt I wanted to upgrade to something new and shiny. It's definitely a cleaner OS in terms of using it with a keyboard and mouse. I guess for you it would be a decent time to try it as it's a fresh install of 7.

I'd stick with our current plan and see if this calms down. Then perhaps do a little research on your model and see if people are hitting issues with Win10 before upgrading. One step at a time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

open up msconfig (click the orb - hit run - type msconfig) and disable all non essential windows services, then reboot, what type of SSD did you get.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    open up msconfig (click the orb - hit run - type msconfig) and disable all non essential windows services, then reboot, what type of SSD did you get.

Will have a look at that. It seems to have calmed down now.

This SSD, Got it on daily offer last week for 49£

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S9Q9VS4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Did you enable trim, if not open up command (as admin) and type the following and hit enter.

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

Also turn off defrag, and system restore, set performance to high. Theres a few more things you could do if you want to improve windows performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For the record, they may be more expensive but I bought a Samsung EVO SSD with the migration cable and s/w and the installation was a breeze. It also installed drivers which optimize Win7 for an SSD so I didn't notice any reduction in battery capacity and that was on a 4 years old Lenovo laptop.

The migration procedure was to attach the SSD externally using the supplied cable, run the migration s/w, shutdown, swap the SSD into the laptop and job done! I wouldn't dream of doing a DIY migration.

^^ Sounds good.

All settled down now and running smooth. Best upgrade I ever did.

• Advertisement

Great to hear!

Great to hear!

Thanks for the help and advice.:cool:

Well,
    Seems like my battery life has been just about halved.
    Had no bother getting 2 hours or so with the old hard drive.
    Just about getting one hour out of it now with the ssd.

Advertisement