Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Hockaday has been sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭Hijpo

KJ wrote: »
    Hockaday has been sacked.

It was not a question of if but when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I hope he gets a decent payoff. Should never have been put in that position. Having said that, nobody forced hit to apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

oldyouth wrote: »
    I hope he gets a decent payoff. Should never have been put in that position. Having said that, nobody forced hit to apply

Is it true he applied for youth coach and got head coach job?

Knew I should've put money on him to be gone by November!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

in fairness, I thought he would be sacked by the 16th of August.
    Fair play to him for lasting 12 days longer than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mushy wrote: »

I'd imagine his replacement could well be gone by November. Sad to see a great club like Leeds been run like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭fanzhiyidan

maybe you should put that money on McDermott being the next manager!

in fairness, I thought he would be sacked by the 16th of August.
    Fair play to him for lasting 12 days longer than that.

Why are they not giving it permanently to redfern and replacing him instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

I must say I feel very sorry for Hockaday, been under pressure from Day 1 with fans as he was a bit of an unknown quantity. The man was given a great opportunity and tried his best. Who's to say that he wouldn't have achieved something once the squad was finalised.

I hope he gets another job somewhere soon and goes on to be a success.

Rolando Maran is the early pace setter in the odds for the job. Former Catania coach.

• Advertisement

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP 13s
    Understand that Steve Clarke is one of the names high up on Cellino's list. Very early days though. #lufc

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd be very happy if Clarke took the job. The big problem now though is that everyone knows there's not much job security.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

Mushy wrote: »

That's how the stories go anyway.

Those odds were very very short, gone by September was tempting tho as far as I remember!

I do agree he should get a payoff but to be fair I can't imagine he was on a huge wage, £50k-£100k per annum, if those same stories are to be believed. At the end of the day he was in way over his head.

Interesting to see the posts on Twitter by the player including our captain...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭championc

Hijpo wrote: »
    Reports now that they look set to finalise the deal today.

Deal DONE for Adryan according to his agent , via Ema

championc wrote: »
    Deal DONE for Adryan according to his agent , via Ema

Probably wouldn't play under hockaday

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

So Signore Cellino lets go one super smooth media friendly average performing/results Manager for a seriously good interviewee cr*p performing/results coach........What could possibly go wrong?

Below from Wikipedia is Mr Hockadays mangerial/coach performance at FGR.........

Team From To P W D L Win %

Forest Green Rovers 09 September 2009 21 October 2013 189 64 50 75 33.86

33.86% !!!!!! Seriously?

BOOOM!!

BOOOM!!

In fairness, I think just about every Leeds fan called it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Zaph wrote: »
    I'd be very happy if Clarke took the job. The big problem now though is that everyone knows there's not much job security.

Would be delighted to get someone of the calibre of Clarke. I think the job security thing is a bit of a red herring. I think it was always Cellinos intention to have someone in the job who would not question/prevent him bringing in the players he wanted and if things didn't work out, get rid of that person once the transfer window closed. Unforunately Hock wasn't able to see out the transfer window. I expect the replacement to be sorted early next week after the window closes and the new guy will be given much more time to organise the new squad - at least I hope that is what Cellino was planning here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Great image here, highlighting how many players we have (if the new guys come in today):

10647049_830538406970764_4366362300366111029_n.jpg?oh=9705bf9a8bc80f81ebe73c788fbd3629&oe=54814120

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Johnny Giles take on the matter from YEP

Former Leeds United midfielder Johnny Giles has launched an extraordinary attack on Massimo Cellino, describing the Italian as a “headbanger” and telling the club’s owner to appoint himself as head coach.
    Giles aimed fierce criticism at Cellino’s management of Leeds after the United president ended David Hockaday’s short reign as head coach last night.
    Hockaday - an obscure choice to replace Brian McDermott in June - lasted for just 70 days and six competitive games before losing his job in the aftermath of Wednesday’s Capital One Cup defeat to Bradford City.
    Leeds are beginning their search for his replacement, with former West Bromwich Albion boss Steve Clarke the early front-runner.
    Neil Redfearn is in caretaker charge of the first-team squad ahead of tomorrow’s game against Bolton and United’s hunt for Hockaday’s successor if expected to gather speed next week.
    But Giles - a key member of Don Revie’s legendary squad - claimed no manager “worth their salt” would consider working for Cellino.
    Speaking to Irish radio station Newstalk, Giles said: “I don’t think anybody would be a good choice. This fella (Cellino) is a headbanger.
    “I think he only employed that coach (Hockaday) so he was a frontman - so he could pick the team and bring the players in that he wanted.
    “I think Hockaday had no say in it whatsoever and anybody that goes to Leeds would be mad to take the job. I’d say that any of the managers who are worth their salt wouldn’t touch that job. What the fella should do is make himself manager and do the job because that’s what he’s trying to do anyway.
    “I feel sorry for the Leeds supporters, to let a headbanger in. I don’t think he wants anybody that’s any good whatsoever.
    “I was 12 years at Leeds they’ve got great supporters, it’s a great club. But the club the way it’s been run in the past few years has been an absolute disgrace.”
    Clarke is high on Cellino’s list of candidates for the job and the YEP understands that the Scot is interested in the vacancy.
    Clarke has been waiting to return to coaching since his sacking by West Brom last December and would look to bring Kevin Keen to Elland Road as his assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

... of course it doesn't end there either if this is to be believed ..

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2014-08-29/cellino-opens-door-for-hockaday-return/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree with John Giles, Cellino is an absolute nutcase. Who knows what's going to happen in the future. We could see the tea lady get the head coach job if he hasn't already sacked her.

Apparently contact has been made with Clarke and he's receptive to the idea of coaching Leeds but a long, long way from shaking hands.

Pullis has already turned down the 'head coach' role also if reports are to be believed, glad MC is looking at those standards of coaches if nothing else, however I doubt anyone will come near the job as Giles was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Sounds like a good atmosphere there today and they seem to be playing alright.
    Love it when Leeds score first, Doesn't seem to happen often enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Antenucci seems to have had a good game

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Silvestri has to be man of the match by the sound of it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It sounded like Silvestri was brilliant. We were hanging on a bit near the end but it seems as if we were much better today and the changed made a big difference. I think the midfield is much better without Murphy and Austin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

At this stage I think it would be fair to give Reddfern a crack at the job. he has been the one to pick up the team every time a manager/coach has been sacked or walked out. from today's result you would have to say he picked the right team and the players are willing to put in a shift for him.
    what do ye think?

SarahBM wrote: »
    At this stage I think it would be fair to give Reddfern a crack at the job. he has been the one to pick up the team every time a manager/coach has been sacked or walked out. from today's result you would have to say he picked the right team and the players are willing to put in a shift for him.
    what do ye think?

I said the same thing, I've read he does distance himself from being put in there full time.

• Advertisement

Redders is far more valuable leading the Academy IMO. He enjoys that role and ultimately the first team reaps the benefits. If he took the first team and got sacked from there, he could never return to the academy.

He certainly played the perfect squad today I think. All of the best new boys involved.

Redders is far more valuable leading the Academy IMO. He enjoys that role and ultimately the first team reaps the benefits. If he took the first team and got sacked from there, he could never return to the academy.

He certainly played the perfect squad today I think. All of the best new boys involved. Somewhat proved that the Hock was playing too safe, with no belief in the likes of Mowatt and Cook

Adryan deal done according to the club :D

Could one player make a team ? Dare to dream :)

championc wrote: »
    Could one player make a team ? Dare to dream :)

Hopefully. Great to have a creative attacking midfielder in the team. Hopefully he is as good as we have been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Finally Adryano is landed!

Time to get him bedded in with a new coach and the players too during the international break.

what formation would people see us playing with the players we have? I'd like to see 3-5-2

Antenucci Sharp

Warnock Sloth Adryano Cook Byram

Bellusci Pearce Cooper

Silvestri

Del Fabro and Montenegro possible arrivals tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

JokerD wrote: »
    Del Fabro and Montenegro possible arrivals tomorrow.

Saw that alright. Del Fabro at 19 would be a bit of an unknown but has pedigree at junior leve l(U16 captain?) if he does well then we have an option to sign. Would probably be replacing Wooten in the starting 11.

Not sure about Montenegro. Wasn't a success at West Ham (just 1 appearance) and doesn't have a great scoring record in South America either but happy to see how he might fit in.

Antenucci sounded immense today and with him, Sharp, Smith, Ajose, Morison, Polean and Hunt, plus the injured Doukara it's hard to see where another untried striker would fit in. I would much rather that Cellino look around and find a tried and tested striker instead.

Massimo, if you are reading and fancy a chat on all things Leeds I'll be in Sardenga next week :-)

Were only 3pts off a playoff spot!!!!!

Hijpo wrote: »
    Were only 3pts off a playoff spot!!!!!

There's still hope so!!!

The squad seems huge now. It's great bringing in all these players but we need the right "coach" to play them in the right positions and proper formation. No right minded manager/coach is going to want the Leeds job. :-(

• Advertisement

Saw that alright. Del Fabro at 19 would be a bit of an unknown but has pedigree at junior leve l(U16 captain?) if he does well then we have an option to sign. Would probably be replacing Wooten in the starting 11.

Not sure about Montenegro. Wasn't a success at West Ham (just 1 appearance) and doesn't have a great scoring record in South America either but happy to see how he might fit in.

Antenucci sounded immense today and with him, Sharp, Smith, Ajose, Morison, Polean and Hunt, plus the injured Doukara it's hard to see where another untried striker would fit in. I would much rather that Cellino look around and find a tried and tested striker instead.

Massimo, if you are reading and fancy a chat on all things Leeds I'll be in Sardenga next week :-)

Apparently he plays as a winger as well so maybe thats the thinking there. Might explain why he isnt that prolific too.

Is there any sign of the likes of Norris and Hunt being moved on before the window shuts?

I do believe that there'll be plenty of interest in the job. It's already been suggested by Adam Pope that quality names have put their name forward.

Leeds are still a massive club and I'd like to think that that any coaches/managers looking in will know the potential there and would like a crack at returning us back to the Premier League.

Del Fabro now confirmed, 1 year loan with a view to a permanent.

Grayson backed today so much that betting was suspended. I know these markets can fluctuate a lot. Might not fit in with Cellino wanting a head coach, I suppose Grayson comes under the Manager role?

Ronnie Moore interested, the resignation of Sannino from Watford will bring the inevitable links and Phil Hay also saying not to discount Oscar Garcia.

Had to laugh when I read that nearly 6,000 lufc fans voted for Beckford as MoM for the game yesterday after he came on for the last few minutes, started off on twitter and spiralled. Even funnier the fact that only a few hundred Bolton's fans voted in total. In fairness to Bolton tho they had a bit of fun back when announcing the MoM on twitter saying they had disqualified all the votes from luff fans...

It's the little things...

JokerD wrote: »
    Grayson backed today so much that betting was suspended. I know these markets can fluctuate a lot. Might not fit in with Cellino wanting a head coach, I suppose Grayson comes under the Manager role?

Ronnie Moore interested, the resignation of Sannino from Watford will bring the inevitable links and Phil Hay also saying not to discount Oscar Garcia.

Clarke would be my first choice but id be happy to welcome Grayson back. He never should have been sacked

For me, Grayson got average players to over achieve. That's what real coaching is all about

Plus you know Garyson is Leeds through and through. He knows what the fans want and expect. He knows the support he will get from them. The only is would he be willing to do what cellino wants.

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lncvav9C50

More from Ema for those who may not have heard it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement