Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Well he didn't exactly say he was retiring, just that he was taking a break from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Fairplay to him, but why the need to retire?

It's a queer decision alright...

Best of luck to him though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Leeds line-up vs City:

Ashdown, Byram, Lees, Peltier, Warnock, White, Brown, Austin, Varney, Diouf, McCormack.

Subs: Kenny, Hall, Morison, Habibou, Tonge, Norris, Pearce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What channel is the game on lads?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ESPN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

The way we've started this could be cricket score ......penalty as I type !

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Going to be a long afternoon :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Never a pen. Not going to be our day I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Reading various recent articles, it does seem that there'll be an amicable parting of the ways very soon with Warnock.

The uncertainty over Warnocks' desire to stay has become more and more of an issue lately as our run for play offs has hit the road blocks. The obvious question of whether he'll continue now has become an even more focal point of the season.

His recent comments about his unhappiness of having to live 300 miles away from his family on his own will have set alarm bells ringing with GFH , howver I'm sure they will have been looking ahead before now with a contingency plan. Their comments along with Phil Hay's words the past week suggest to me that a decision has already been made.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I would prefer if Warnock left now after this game. Would allow the new manager to come in and assess the players we have already, see who he wants to keep etc and then have a full summer and pre-season to put together his own team.

Who we get in as the new manager is the big question though.

3-0 down now.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I would prefer if Warnock left now after this game. Would allow the new manager to come in and assess the players we have already, see who he wants to keep etc and then have a full summer and pre-season to put together his own team.

Who we get in as the new manager is the big question though.

3-0 down now.

If it happens, I think it'll be Adkins. Out of work, did great at Scunthorpe and Southampton and a recent Championship promotion to his name.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Nice chant from the Leeds fans:

We lose every week, we lose every week,
    You're nothing special, we lose every week!

Henry Winter‏@henrywinter

Warnock: "If we don't get to the PL, I won't be here. But with what's gone on behind the scenes I deserve a medal' #lufc

Henry Winter‏@henrywinter

Warnock praised "fantastic" #lufc fans, said they would be "top-six fans in the PL" and insisted he's a "scapegoat" for takeover travails

Phil Hay‏@PhilHayYEP

Warnock admitted he would be happy to stay on until the end of the season if GFH C want him to. "Whatever's best for #lufc," he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭event

ive never been warnocks biggest fan :p but he should be gone in the morning.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/17/roberto-mancini-manchester-city-leeds-united
    "It's their prerogative. I have spoken to them at great length. If they think it will help them then I'm not against it,"
    "My contract ends in the summer and there's no way I want to stay in the Championship next year.

So he's not too bothered if he goes now and he's definitely going in the summer!
    how on earth is he going to motivate any players??
    Im livid with that, seriously. He wont resign, he wants the pay off of his contract. He can fcuk off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭championc

In a sense, GFH have no option but to part company now. They hoped that the numbers coming through the turnstiles would return to even the League One levels - but it's never happened. They would have banked on

1. Takeover completion - made no difference really in numbers possibly with Bates still as Chairman

2. Half Season Tickets - sounds like less than 500 were sold

3. Leeds 4 Less - don't think takeup was that marvelous

If fans want to go and watch an exciting team play exciting football, they'll stay home and watch a Spanish League Game !! Today's display can't have done anything to change anyones opinion of the way we play. If anything, it made things worse - we created nothing today.

We've 8 home games left which is a decent chunk of financial income. GFH would wish for a 10-15% increase on gates but I can't see this happening. I've more or less committed myself to go over to the Huddersfield game. Am I looking forward to it - not to watch the sh1te we play now.

Would bringing Richard Naylor into the Senior Team do it - I don't think so. I reckon only a Nigel Adkins type appointment would create excitement in fans and swell the numbers in the stands

Freelance journalist‏@indykaila

Nigel Adkins has been contacted by #Leeds owners GFH Capital. The contact has been made in the few hours. No info on #Adkins reply. #LUFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Have to say I'm disappointed with the reaction of a lot of Leeds fans to Warnock. He was brought in because he has a proven track record of getting teams promoted from the Championship to the Premier League. That makes him a very good manager - unfortunately that is not enough at the moment though, as given the resources available for the team he has also got to be some sort of alchemist who can turn the meagre resources we have into a team capable of promotion. :mad:

I always knew that Warnock was passionate about his football, and that is evident from his emotions on the sideline - however having seen a lot more of him in interviews and meeting with fans, he comes across as a thoroughly decent individual. When that is considered against his comments in the last number of days, I reckon what you have is a person who realises that there is nowhere to turn - he cannot get the team pomotion because he does not have, nor will receive the required resources, but he will still do what is best for the Club.

Of course though, the chants for Warnock continue to grow - I wonder how many more managers Leeds must have and get rid of whilst the team receives little or no investment? :rolleyes:

Have to say I'm disappointed with the reaction of a lot of Leeds fans to Warnock. He was brought in because he has a proven track record of getting teams promoted from the Championship to the Premier League. That makes him a very good manager - unfortunately that is not enough at the moment though, as given the resources available for the team he has also got to be some sort of alchemist who can turn the meagre resources we have into a team capable of promotion. :mad:

I always knew that Warnock was passionate about his football, and that is evident from his emotions on the sideline - however having seen a lot more of him in interviews and meeting with fans, he comes across as a thoroughly decent individual. When that is considered against his comments in the last number of days, I reckon what you have is a person who realises that there is nowhere to turn - he cannot get the team pomotion because he does not have, nor will receive the required resources, but he will still do what is best for the Club.

Of course though, the chants for Warnock continue to grow - I wonder how many more managers Leeds must have and get rid of whilst the team receives little or no investment? :rolleyes:

ive said it before, its a common misconception.

he has gotten TWO teams promoted to the PL in his long career.
    Sheffield united, who he was with for 7 years before he got them up (subsequently took them straight back down) and QPR, who he had massive financial backing with.
    This proven track record is a myth, insofar as PL promotions go. He has gotten other teams up from league2, league 1 etc.

his win percentage with us is 39%.
    Graysons was 49.7%
    McAllisters was 50%
    Wise was 47%

event wrote: »
    ive said it before, its a common misconception.

he has gotten TWO teams promoted to the PL in his long career.
    Sheffield united, who he was with for 7 years before he got them up (subsequently took them straight back down) and QPR, who he had massive financial backing with.
    This proven track record is a myth, insofar as PL promotions go. He has gotten other teams up from league2, league 1 etc.

his win percentage with us is 39%.
    Graysons was 49.7%
    McAllisters was 50%
    Wise was 47%

I'm curious - how many promotions to the Premier League would constitute a track record so?

Edit: And I'll also ask - do you feel he has been given the resources necessary to mount a credible promotion push?

• Advertisement

more than two in 20 years. You were the one that said he had a track record, not me

event wrote: »
    more than two in 20 years. You were the one that said he had a track record, not me

And not only me said it, judging by your previous posts. And as you have already indicated, much of those twenty years was spent in the lower leagues where promotions were also gained.

I'll ask again, as to be fair, you may have missed my edit, do you feel he has been given the necessary resources to mount a credible promotion challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Warnock certainly hasn't been given resources to build the team, quite the opposite, he has lost key players and not been able to replace them (Howson, Snodgrass) - I don't count Becchio as I think the replacement for Becchio looks a better footballer!
    However when you look at his reign I find it hard to find any positives. Of the players he brought in, most don't look good enough. Peltier seems decent as a center half (even though he was bought as a fullback!), Diouf is obviously quality, but apart from these two I don't really see any improvement on what he took over. On the negatives, his team selections are sometimes very strange, his style of football is ugly and basic and his recent comments can do nothing to improve team morale (he also often criticizes some of the younger players openly which can't help). Add in the win ratio posted by event and the fact he is not a solution for the future and I can't see why the fans should be backing him. Get rid now and get someone young and enthusiastic like Adkins in I say.

I didnt expect us to get promoted this year with the squad we started with, no.
    I do question his signings and his style of play though. We are a long ball team, with no creativity at all (despite having a few creative players) he just signs/picks cloggers in midfield.
    Last year when he was appointed people went on and on about how he is great for turning average teams into promotion candidates. It didnt happen with us.

I dont expect a new manager to come in and get us magically promoted either. But I would like if we could start playing a bit of football. Get the fans back on side, a bit of excitement going and then make a push.

We'll agree to disagree so, and I accept that my view would be a minority view. I genuinely feel a lot of the criticisms here can be directly linked to the lack of resources available, i.e. the type of players we get in and the style of football we play.

Some time though in the future - and I hope it is sooner rather than later - someone somewhere will realise that the answer to our problems is not to keep changing the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

We'll agree to disagree so, and I accept that my view would be a minority view. I genuinely feel a lot of the criticisms here can be directly linked to the lack of resources available, i.e. the type of players we get in and the style of football we play.

Some time though in the future - and I hope it is sooner rather than later - someone somewhere will realise that the answer to our problems is not to keep changing the manager.

Fundamentally disagree here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭championc

We all expected Warnock to work wonders. Maybe he just talks a great game.

But when he took over Leeds last season, at that stage, we were still in touch and we had 15 games (45 points) remaining. He won us 16 points. His excuse was that it wasn't his team. But we all expected Warnock to be very similar to Big Jack Charlton and have players over achieving - this certainly did not happen. So the story was that SG's players were mediacore and we now have pretty much a whole new team.

Warnock claims that we're in a better position now than we were then. We were 7th on the verge of the playoffs and slid down to 13th under his management (ending up needing to play in Round 1 of the League Cup) - we're now 12th and sliding. If we played ugly football but got results, we'd say "fine", but Warnocks way isn't working and I would question whether it ever did. God knows we escaped with some results in the early part of the season which we should never have got.

Season 2011-2012 - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/leeds-united/results/2011-2012/
    Season 2012-2013 - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/leeds-united/results/2012-2013/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

SS News reporting he'll walk if no promotion. That prospect is so unlikely, he should be running now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Little bit on F365:
    Time to go?
    The end of a beautiful, perfect marriage may be nigh. One of the most disliked managers in the land in charge of one of the most disliked clubs in the land was rather neat, but Neil Warnock may not be Leeds boss for much longer. The fans travelling over from Yorkshire to see their side casually flicked aside by Manchester City made their feelings known (when they weren't asking the famously loyal City fans where they were 'when they were sh*t', the quickest answer being 'Maine Road') , singing 'Warnock, time to go.'

This game was the last flicker, the final realistic chance of getting something from this season for Leeds, because at eight points off the play-offs with 15 games remaining of their league season, their chances of winning promotion are receding by the week. They have lost five of their last eight, winning just two of those games, and the word on the street is that if another takeover bid succeeds (the latest one mooted is by former Hull and Derby chairman Adam Pearson) then Warnock will be ushered out.

Warnock will no doubt find someone to blame for his failure at Leeds, because it sure as sh*t won't be his fault - he was quick to emphasise the importance of Manchester City's correctly awarded penalty after their defeat on Sunday, the second goal of four. However, one thing rather summed things up for his time at Elland Road, and that was Ross Barkley returning early to Everton from his loan spell because Warnock 'couldn't guarantee' football. If Warnock couldn't find a place for a young player as classy as Barkley in a side as listless as Leeds, then something is quite seriously awry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Di Canio leaves Swindon. Surely not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement