Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch site ads. Accidentally tapping all the time

Options
  • 19-06-2015 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭

I realise that you need to earn money but is there anything you could do to make the ads a bit less accidentally clickable on the touch site?

It's getting to the stage that I'm clicking into an advert for some foreign exchange company every few minutes when I use the touch site on mobile safari.

Scrolling down the page causes me to accidentally click ads.

It's actually becoming very annoying and it's starting to put me off using the site.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I find this issue as applicable to boards as any other site. The difference being that here, there are far, far fewer ads that can be accidentally clicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I find this issue as applicable to boards as any other site. The difference being that here, there are far, far fewer ads that can be accidentally clicked.

I don't agree. I'm being shown two ads on this thread taking up about 40% of the screen area and I've managed to click both of them accidentally !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I don't agree. I'm being shown two ads on this thread taking up about 40% of the screen area and I've managed to click both of them accidentally !!

Agree with this !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I realise that you need to earn money but is there anything you could do to make the ads a bit less accidentally clickable on the touch site?

It's getting to the stage that I'm clicking into an advert for some foreign exchange company every few minutes when I use the touch site on mobile safari.

Scrolling down the page causes me to accidentally click ads.

It's actually becoming very annoying and it's starting to put me off using the site.
    Really annoying

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

They also seem to be getting clicked when off the ad too...very annoying.
    The captive area for the ad must be bigger than what the screen shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I've happily used the touch site since launch. Not once in memory have accidentally tapped an advert until the arrival of the new touch ads like of Plus 500 and Bold Chat.

Now I "click," on those ads numerous times a day.
    The scroll lags when loading and the captive area seems huge. I'd find it hard to believe this is not intentional.

I get that ads are necessary, but in current format they're effectively ruining the touch site.
    I've gone back to m.boards.ie and I won't be using the touch site with those ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ad Tech under the 'go to next page' at the bottom of a page.

Must have opened that hundreds of times now.

Yeah I'm opening that Plus 500 one all the time and some other site that keeps prompting me to give it permission to access location services.

Something has changed in the last few weeks as I wasn't tripping over these ads all the time either.

Also from the companies' perspective, it's actually a waste of money as I'm increasingly annoyed with them rather than interested in their brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

+1 Yes this is really really irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

I thought my phone was broken.

• Advertisement

The ads are also in French even though I'm on eircom as my ISP and 3 Ireland.

352681.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Will anything be done to take users feedback on board???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Banging your head against the wall here lads. It's been six months since someone first complained about it and it's been repeatedly fobbed off.

Also do mods have a special version of the touch site? Funny how one of them jump in to every thread saying the ads aren't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

I seem to click on that Levi's advert every time. It's getting ridiculous. I'm going to have to root specifically to install adblock.

This is actually counterproductive for advertisers as it's sending people to them who've no interest in their products and who will be annoyed by them and start associating their brand with having to constantly tap the back button and losing their place on threads.

It's also going to cause mass adoption of ad blockers which will reduce ad traffic on the site and will reduce revenues.

Annoying end users is always a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

The Uber one is the only one I have an issue with. It's as if it's extra sensitive to touch and it opens up the App Store in a new tab which is getting very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I complained about this months ago because I use touch more than any other platform. Without any official feedback I have come to realise that certain ads are more sensitive than others, ironically these are the ads I have no interest in clicking on and are also suspect looking ones - like to the Plus 500 (which I managed to get rid of by clicking the tiny x on the right hand top corner and clicking stop seeing this ad)

I have also noticed this isn't just boards these ads, particularly the suspect ones keep hopping up through any touch site.

And finally I found if scrolling in landscape rather than portrait format I don't touch the ads because their boundaries are narrower.

The ads are irritating indeed but there are ways to lessen that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Maybe I'm imagining it but the ads seem very sensitive to touch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

emo72 wrote: »
    I seem to click on that Levi's advert every time. It's getting ridiculous. I'm going to have to root specifically to install adblock.

Careful now. Dav said anyone mentioning that kind of software is getting banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Careful now. Dav said anyone mentioning that kind of software is getting banned.
    25816.jpg
    Obligatory Fr. Ted.

As an alternative suggestion: Perhaps the problem ads, can temporarily have a 'click confirmation' added to them - so that when you click them, it opens a popup dialog saying something like "You are about to leave Boards.ie and be redirected to a third-party site, do you want to continue?".

A lot of websites do that to all links as a matter of course (not suggesting it be done for all links though).

You would still get revenue from the genuine ad-clicks, but accidental clicks would be less of a problem for users thereafter - the popup might be a touch annoying, but better (and faster to resolve) than opening up an ad you didn't mean to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I'd say the VAST majority of ad revenue, on any website, is from accidental clicks.

I mean, who genuinely looks to be advertised to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Uber is getting on my last nerve. Can someone sort these out please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think the problem stems from their load time. You get a screen without the ad and when you touch a space to roll up or down the screen there's a delay, the ad loads, and the touch registers on the ad. Same when you're trying to scroll up and down past an already loaded ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Is it possible to just block individual websites on our own servers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looks like the powers that be are hoping that this genuine feedback dies a quick death.

Touch site has generally speaking been hard going from day one, I really can't see things improving anytime soon on that front.

At least it's better than the app....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its really annoying me as well. Accidentally clicking on sites all the time lately as well. Maybe started a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Looks like the powers that be are hoping that this genuine feedback dies a quick death.

Touch site has generally speaking been hard going from day one, I really can't see things improving anytime soon on that front.

At least it's better than the app....

Are the ads on the app?
    I came to the feedback section to complain about these ads, but seeing as though there seems to be no interest from the powers that be I'm now off the the App Store to see it there are any app a that will make life on boards easier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

+1 touch site is infuriating with these ads. They take up half the touch site!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

ganmo wrote: »
    Are the ads on the app?
    I came to the feedback section to complain about these ads, but seeing as though there seems to be no interest from the powers that be I'm now off the the App Store to see it there are any app a that will make life on boards easier
    Sorry, I was speaking in terms of general user friendliness.

The app lasted about ten minutes on my phone before being deleted, so I can't really recall if there was noticeable adds on every page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Am running into this same issue regularly now.

Typically when i scroll down on the screen and them tap on a thread that sits directly above an ad, I will be taken directly to the ad rather than the thread i clicked on.

Its as if what is presented on screen is a second or two ahead of where the device believes it is if that makes sense, and so when you click just above the ad the device thinks you are clicking on the ad that was there a second beforehand.

Am on an iphone 6 if that makes a difference.

Advertisement