Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can boards.ie apply for restraining orders?

Options
  • 13-06-2015 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious, if someone committed a serious rule breach, gets banned, but just continues to re-reg persistently, do websites have any avenue to turn to in order to have someone legally barred from using the site?

Does persistently re-reging constitute harassment (from a legal perspective)? Or if someone used the site for fraudulent reasons or as part of some illegal activity can they be legally barred from using the site?

Don't worry; I'm not planning anything :) The reason I ask is there's a fairly persistent rereg troll who from what I see on prison must have registered literally hundreds of accounts and I sometimes wonder why boards don't get a restraining order against the guy for harassment!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

They'd only love that kind of a reaction I reckon!
    Best way to deal with a re-reg imo is to simply delete and ignore- let them wear themselves out :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

I'm just curious, if someone committed a serious rule breach, gets banned, but just continues to re-reg persistently, do websites have any avenue to turn to in order to have someone legally barred from using the site?

Does persistently re-reging constitute harassment (from a legal perspective)? Or if someone used the site for fraudulent reasons or as part of some illegal activity can they be legally barred from using the site?

Don't worry; I'm not planning anything :) The reason I ask is there's a fairly persistent rereg troll who from what I see on prison must have registered literally hundreds of accounts and I sometimes wonder why boards don't get a restraining order against the guy for harassment!

There's some funny threads in the Prison Forum alright thought I wouldn't think anyone would take the time and cost to get a restraining order.

If it's the one I saw recently that you are referring to he keeps making the point that a mod told him to rereg which does seems to be the case - some mod keeps saying "see you on the next one" or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

libelula wrote: »
    They'd only love that kind of a reaction I reckon!
    Best way to deal with a re-reg imo is to simply delete and ignore- let them wear themselves out :)

Fully agree! I know legally barring somebody would be an extreme measure; I'm just curious to know if it is a measure available to boards for dealing with troublesome users!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Saw one guy get threatened with solicitors in the Prison Forum,dunno what he did though.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

There are a number of ways boards could end up with a court order that would put a legal bar on someone signing up again but the reality is that technical solutions are far more effective and a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Actually, telling their employers what they're doing on work time and telling them that we're blocking their entire company's access and considering legal action against the company tends to have a much, much more immediate and lasting effect...

Dav wrote: »
    Actually, telling their employers what they're doing on work time and telling them that we're blocking their entire company's access and considering legal action against the company tends to have a much, much more immediate and lasting effect...

Cool ! Does that happen much?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Puddle Q wrote: »
    Cool ! Does that happen much?
    I think it's pretty rare that boards.ie actually goes to the employer. Ten minutes of research and the person gets a nice email saying,

"Hi <Real Name>,

You have been asked persistently to desist from signing up from boards.ie and have failed to do so. At this stage if you continue to sign up, we will be required to make a complaint to <Head of HR> at <Company Name>, informing them of the nature and content of your posts, and the fact that we have had to take corrective action to prevent people from using our site from their organisation.

Thanks"

Usually makes people **** themselves and go away. I've seen some proper grovelling come out after one of them.

^^^ What Seamus said :) It's very rare that we have the level of dipstick that requires that sort of intervention, but it's a pretty solid solution.

Of course, if any ISP's were willing to take proper action in sanctioning their customers for repeated abuses of their services (often times in breach of the contract between ISP and idiot), none of this would be necessary, but when you hand national infrastructure and services of same over to private business, a capitalist system means that nothing can or will be done to interfere with the ISP's revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dav wrote: »

You should call their parents as well.

• Advertisement

Actually...

I think I had to before when there was one particular kid who went to the point of phoning some business that had spammed something saying he was a rep of Boards and that "we" were notifying him of the legal action we were about to take against his business for abuse of our service.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Was that the young fella with the number of the Beast in his username?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, now I have that song rolling around in my head for the rest of the day,.

biko wrote: »
    Ok, now I have that song rolling around in my head for the rest of the day,.

What song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Advertisement