Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home wanted for golden retriever

Options
  • 28-03-2011 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi
    It's with a very heavy heart that I'm posting this :(
    Have an adorable and kind hearted golden retriever dog, 5 years old, that I'd like to rehome. I have a 16month old boy and plans for a few more children and I just don't have the time for my dog anymore. He's used to getting full time attention and lots of walks and I just don't have the energy for him now that I'm working full time and caring for my toddler. I don't think it's fair on my dog to live like this.
    He is wonderful with all children and other dogs but not cats!!
    I'm looking for a dog lover who has a lot of time on their hands, maybe someone who has retired. He loves walks and lots of attention and then he's happy :D
    I'm in Kildare.
    Please PM me if interested or want any more details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I am sure Irish Golden Retriever Rescue would be glad to help and would find him a wonderful new home.

http://www.irishretrieverrescue.com/

I would trust these folks with any dog. I work with a rescue in Limerick and they have helped us with Golden Retrievers in the past, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Let me know if you'd be willing to give your dog to them, and I can give you the contact number of their Irish co-ordinator in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭JoeyW

Thanks for the reply Boomerang.
    I'm sure they are a fantastic organisation from what I've read but I would much rather be the one to check out the new owners. For peace of mind more than anything.
    I'd worry terrible about him if someone else was doing the re-homing.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I second IRR. Rehoming in Ireland is very slow at the moment due to the vast number of dogs being given up by their owners.

If you are rehoming yourself then make sure the dog is chipped and neutered before you let him go if he isn't already.

Also when checking out the owners make sure that they fully understand the commitment a dog requires. Last thing you want is for the dog to find himself in the same situation again in a few years time as such an old dog will be difficult to rehome. Also check out some rehoming organisations adoption forms to make sure you are asking potential owners all the right questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I understand that Joey, I'd be the same only for I know how well these folks match dogs to new families. Every home is homechecked, made to fill out an adoption form and asked to keep in touch. The "Golden Successes" section of the website shows you the kind of new homes these dogs enjoy. You'd know where your dog has been rehomed and would get updates on the website.

If your boy isn't neutered be very careful about who you give him to - there's some right eejits out there who'd see his intact testicles as a money-making opportunity and mightn't have his best interests at heart. ;)

And as Goldies are born wanderers if given the chance, make sure who ever takes him has a properly enclosed garden, to keep him safe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

+1 what boomerang said. Def neuter him.

Any pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭billyhead

JoeyW wrote: »
    Hi
    It's with a very heavy heart that I'm posting this :(
    Have an adorable and kind hearted golden retriever dog, 5 years old, that I'd like to rehome. I have a 16month old boy and plans for a few more children and I just don't have the time for my dog anymore. He's used to getting full time attention and lots of walks and I just don't have the energy for him now that I'm working full time and caring for my toddler. I don't think it's fair on my dog to live like this.
    He is wonderful with all children and other dogs but not cats!!
    I'm looking for a dog lover who has a lot of time on their hands, maybe someone who has retired. He loves walks and lots of attention and then he's happy :D
    I'm in Kildare.
    Please PM me if interested or want any more details.

pm send

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭JoeyW

Thank you all for the messages. Just to update, I've found a home for him, my lovely friend and her hubby have offered to take him as they were on the hunt for another dog anyway. They are perfect and I will still get to see him as often as I like and I'll be there dog sitter for holidays etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

JoeyW wrote: »
    Thank you all for the messages. Just to update, I've found a home for him, my lovely friend and her hubby have offered to take him as they were on the hunt for another dog anyway. They are perfect and I will still get to see him as often as I like and I'll be there dog sitter for holidays etc :D

Aww the perfect ending :) Delighted for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

This most be very disheartening for you:( I love dogs and couldn't bear parting with a 5 yr old one. It's understandable your current situation doesn't allow you anytime with your dog. I work in a hospital and believe it or not a golden retriever was donated to the hospital as it's owners were emigrating, the patients adore the dog and she was a fantastic asset:)
    If all else fails maybe you could go down that road I'm sure you'll have no problem as they are a stunning dog good luck:)

Advertisement