Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI SFC SF Replay Kerry v Mayo 30/08 5pm Mod Warning Post #1 #562

Options
  • 25-08-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Mod Note Post #39: Guys look we get it, emotions are running high, it's even getting to some of our seasoned posters, but please don't flagrantly abuse GAA officials. The charter allows to exercise zero tolerance and to ban a poster til after the Championship is over, we really don't want to go down that road. Thanks

I thought I would start a new thread for this as there is a thread for the Mayo and Kerry supporters to examine the performances of their individual teams and the match thread to discuss that match but no-where for a consolidated discussion.

As matters stand- Mayo are appealing the hosting of the game in Limerick and are looking for it to be put back a week. I will update this post as information develops.

Edit; not happening. O neill tells them to get on with it
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/o-neill-rules-out-moving-venue-for-semi-final-replay-1.1907466

My own personal view is that if it were Dublin and Donegal this match would not be moved outside of Croke park. The Dubs wouldn't have it but because it's Mayo and Kerry we'll be told to suck it up. There is the alternative of a double header with Dublin and Donegal on Sunday in Croke Park but this would severely impact tickets available to supporters and hamper the minor game.

I think the narrow pitch will suit Mayo's running game more than Kerry's expansive style.

The positives are a boost for Limerick- who badly need it and the novelty factor.

The negatives are - No Hawkwye, reduced capacity, reduced crowd and the fact that one of the show piece events of the year is to be held outside of Croke Park- A Stadium built and developed for the latter stages of the GAA Championship.

I think that Mayo will have learned more from the first game and fancy them to sneak through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

It will be hard for this game to live up to yesterday but should still be well worth the entrance fee. From a Kerry point of view I think the only change from the starting line up should be Killian Young in for Marc O'Se, put Paul Murphy back corner back and Killian on the wing. Marc has been great for Kerry but his time has come. There is no point in starting Donaghy Saturday, we need him as an impact sub again as it will be needed. I presume SOB was injured when taken off becuase if not it does'nt make much since.
    I thought JOD was excellent yesteray except for a couple of chances that he would normally put away. He showed for the ball all day even with 3 lads around him. I would be first to admit O'Connor was man of the match but JOD still out scored him from play which is positive and i expect him to have a little less attention the next day.
    I think it easy to see where the game can be won and thats midfield , whichever team dominates there will win the game. Looking at yesterday Sheehan is nowhere near fit and a huge loss as is DOS who also struggled yesterday.
    Looking forward to Saturday and may the best team win. It will be a great occasion in Limerick and hopefully we get decent weather :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Just got the season ticket mail. Limerick it is. No Bring a Friend option. €25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

There is the alternative of a double header with Dublin and Donegal on Sunday in Croke Park but this would severely impact tickets available to supporters and hamper the minor game.

In fairness that would be impossible, there must be close to 70k tickets sold for the Dublin game, which would only leave a hand full of tickets for Mayo AND Kerry supporters.

They should push the Kerry Mayo game to Friday Sept 5th and have it under the lights, 7pm throw in and really sell up the friday night lights and make a party atmosphere out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

BKWDR wrote: »
    In fairness that would be impossible, there must be close to 70k tickets sold for the Dublin game, which would only leave a hand full of tickets for Mayo AND Kerry supporters.

They should push the Kerry Mayo game to Friday Sept 5th and have it under the lights, 7pm throw in and really sell up the friday night lights and make a party atmosphere out of it.

I'm not really sure which suggestion is worse but i got a good laugh off both of them anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

nicepoint wrote: »
    I'm not really sure which suggestion is worse but i got a good laugh off both of them anyway. :)

Sure if ya can't laugh at these things, somethings wrong.

Keep truckin' nicepoint!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Seamo87

Play the GUARANTEED match (Mayo v Kerry) on Sept 6th. Fix the UN-GUARANTEED match (Dublin v Donegal replay) for somewhere outside of Dublin (shocking as this concept is!).

Right now the only thing stopping Mayo v Kerry in Croke Park on Sept 6th is the POSSIBILITY of there being a draw in the Donegal v Dublin game, should be looking after what is real, actual replay outweighs possible replay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Seamo87 wrote: »
    Play the GUARANTEED match (Mayo v Kerry) on Sept 6th. Fix the UN-GUARANTEED match (Dublin v Donegal replay) for somewhere outside of Dublin (shocking as this concept is!).

Right now the only thing stopping Mayo v Kerry in Croke Park on Sept 6th is the POSSIBILITY of there being a draw in the Donegal v Dublin game, should be looking after what is real, actual replay outweighs possible replay!!!

Exactly.

But it's Dublin and we have to all bow down and make sure they are minded don't we.

It's a silly decision imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It's hard to expect County Boards organise a fixture calendar when H.Q. can't do it. This is a ridiculous situation. I am not against the Americian football game as I can see the economic benefits but surely someone must have thought about the need for replays. Kilkenny Limerick went close enough to a draw too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,706 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

They could easily have the mayo vs vs donegal match at 2pm on the 6th, then clear the stadium for Dublin donegal replay at 6 pm.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Exactly.

But it's Dublin and we have to all bow down and make sure they are minded don't we.

It's a silly decision imo

Why is everyone talking about half a reason. The comment was wiggle room in the event of a Dunlin Donegal replay or another replay between Mayo and Kerry.

Why cut the sentence in half ? Or quote some boards user with an agenda.

There was also no mention of it being to suit Dublin he never said that. Watch the highlights it was wiggle room to allow for both games to have the slot in the event of a draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Am I the only one who doesn't quite understand the fuss about Limerick?

It's closer for both counties, has a big enough capacity and Kerry have only played there twice in ten years so it's a pretty neutral venue.

I think it's right that if the Dublin game goes to a replay that it gets Croker as it is the only stadium that could meet the demand tickets so it's a different scenario to Kerry-Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Pity the thread is already dragged down the venue route, which is being discussed on multiple other threads.

I'll add my match opinions once I'm back at a PC

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The American Football match should not have been scheduled in the middle of the Championship season. Hopefully this ridiculous scenario means it won't happen again.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

They could easily have the mayo vs vs donegal match at 2pm on the 6th, then clear the stadium for Dublin donegal replay at 6 pm.

Not a chance of getting the stadium ready in less than 2 hours. Took 90 mins to clean the hill alone, before doing the stands. Kerry and Mayo supporters going into dirty grounds wouldn't be tolerate by any fans. Bad enough having one game on the surface before the hurling final let alone two. I've been in after AI hurling final setting up for something, and you'd want five or six hours at least to get it done.

Tickets are on general sale now

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    It's hard to expect County Boards organise a fixture calendar when H.Q. can't do it. This is a ridiculous situation. I am not against the Americian football game as I can see the economic benefits but surely someone must have thought about the need for replays. Kilkenny Limerick went close enough to a draw too.

They did think about it, they had Limerick organised well in advance of the game, so they could announce it before the game ended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Didn't know the Gaelic Grounds is so tight. 7 - 7.5 metres shorter and 6 metres narrower.
    That suits a physical hard tackling team like Mayo.
    Potential changes for Mayo:
    Gibbons/Parsons - Gibbons unlucky in some ways as he did a few positive things and was playing on a very flat Mayo side. Much easier look better playing for Mayo in second half. Parsons has more speed so might get the nod. Plus Gibbons didn't seem to claim any kickouts, on other hand don't think Parsons caught any kickouts.
    Freeman/Andy. Hard to know if Andy wins those same balls against fresh defenders on a tight pitch.
    Lee Keegan Replacement - Likely to be Chris Barrett.
    This pitch presents a big problem for Kerry on kickouts. Short or long the advantage should lie with Mayo. Would be hoping Jason Doherty would have a big impact with his tackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Hi folks,

I see that the GAA website is selling tickets for the match although there are for the behind the goal terraces.

http://gaa.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/20484/gaa-all-ireland-football-championship-replay-kerry-v-mayo-gaelic-grounds-30-August-2014

Where can the stand tickets be obtained ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

If the game is anyway decent the GG will provide one of the best atmospheres at a football game since probably the Kerry Dublin 1/4 final down in Thurles.

demac wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I see that the GAA website is selling tickets for the match although there are for the behind the goal terraces.

http://gaa.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/20484/gaa-all-ireland-football-championship-replay-kerry-v-mayo-gaelic-grounds-30-August-2014

Where can the stand tickets be obtained ?

Through your clubs and county boards at this stage, they went on general sale around noon today and were gone by 3/4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Going to go against popular opinion and stick with Kerry. Think they'll make more of their goal chances this time and they should weather Mayo's purple patch a bit better too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Wonder will fans be mixed at both end terraces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Any word on who ref is?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

SM746 wrote: »
    Any word on who ref is?

Reilly from Meath.

SM746 wrote: »
    Any word on who ref is?

Cormac Reilly from Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't imagine the decision will be changed, but there's been a terrible lack of forethought about the whole thing by the GAA. Who had the bright idea of holding an American football match in Croke Park right in the middle of the latter stages of the GAA championship? I don't think anyone minds Croke Park being used for commercial purposes, but to me, Croke Park is first and foremost a venue of the GAA. It's where the big matches should be played. When teams get this far in the championship, they deserve to be playing in headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Looking forward to Saturday hopefully Mayo can bring that second half intensity for the full 70 mins.
    Not sure if caff will start as he was struggling bad with cramp in the last ten mins and give Geaney a lot of space all day also gave Hurley plenty of space in the cork game think he's having a poor enough season this year compared to the past two years possibly Cuniffe to drop to full back as Keane prob not strong enough yet for that position.
    Think freeman should retain his place with Andy coming on in the second half again
    Gibbons/Parsons is an interesting one gibbons wasn't having an awful game it was just a very poor half of football from Mayo and parsons came into the game when mayo had completely changed tactic and upped there game 100% from the first half.
    will there be any chance of Feeney coming in for Keegan or will McLoughlin drop back with Sweeney coming in at half forward.
    Game should be in croker but whats done is done time to move on now.

On a side note does anyone know if its going to be televised (im sure it will be) and has anyone any recommended pubs in albuferia in Portugal to watch it in as i'm flying out on Saturday morning and sickened at not being able to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

Has anyone got any idea which terrace will be Kerry and which will be Mayo? Or will the two terraces be evenly mixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭MAYOMICK

On a side note does anyone know if its going to be televised (im sure it will be) and has anyone any recommended pubs in albuferia in Portugal to watch it in as i'm flying out on Saturday morning and sickened at not being able to be there[/QUOTE]

The Shamrock Bar in Old Town and probably Erins Isle in The Strip

• Registered Users Posts: 48,140 ✭✭✭✭km79

pdiddy wrote: »
    Looking forward to Saturday hopefully Mayo can bring that second half intensity for the full 70 mins.
    Not sure if caff will start as he was struggling bad with cramp in the last ten mins and give Geaney a lot of space all day also gave Hurley plenty of space in the cork game think he's having a poor enough season this year compared to the past two years possibly Cuniffe to drop to full back as Keane prob not strong enough yet for that position.
    Think freeman should retain his place with Andy coming on in the second half again
    Gibbons/Parsons is an interesting one gibbons wasn't having an awful game it was just a very poor half of football from Mayo and parsons came into the game when mayo had completely changed tactic and upped there game 100% from the first half.
    will there be any chance of Feeney coming in for Keegan or will McLoughlin drop back with Sweeney coming in at half forward.
    Game should be in croker but whats done is done time to move on now.

On a side note does anyone know if its going to be televised (im sure it will be) and has anyone any recommended pubs in albuferia in Portugal to watch it in as i'm flying out on Saturday morning and sickened at not being able to be there
    almost every pub along the strip will have it
    much of a muchness between them all really
    2 euro a pint :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I think Mayo's big worry is that Donaghy caused chaos in their full back line and he was only on for a few minutes. If he is fit enough to start, then he has to start as he may have the potential to cause trouble in there. Mayo really need to look at their full back. Paul Geaney had a decent game before Donaghy was introduced as well. I think O'Brien went off injured so maybe Donaghy could start for him?

I'd be very tempted to start Declan O'Sullivan for Michael Geaney too. Michael Geaney was essentially the free man the last day and got on a lot of ball. But his use of it at times was fairly poor. He made some unforced errors while not under any pressure. However, if Mayo do not double mark O'Donoghue, then you are left with Declan O'Sullivan chasing back the Mayo 1/2 back line and he probably doesnt have the legs for that.

At midfield, I do not think Gibbons deserves to start after his performance in the drawn game. So I would make a change there. I would leave Mayo's forwards as they are. Didnt think Doherty performed great the last day but Moran / Conroy are better utilised as subs so Doherty survives!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement