Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Donegal Sunday 31 August AI semifinal Mod Warning Posts #392 #541

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

From my perception we struggled with Big Neil inside and things started to turn when Christi came on for Walsh and Neil was brought back in around the middle. As I said, I wasn't at it is it may have in reality been slightly different.
    Neil played most (pretty much all) of the first half in at full forward, only coming out to midfield for our kick outs (he got his booking as both O'Carroll and McCauley kept trying to block him drifting back out to midfield and eventually the big man got frustrated!). It was a genius move really to save his legs for the 70 minutes as he was effective in the full forward line as an outlet to hold the ball up and was still a real presence for the kick outs into midfield. I was in the Davin so not sure if he played exactly the same role in the second half - he appeared to be out around midfield a lot more but I couldn't be sure. But definitely yes Christy made a massive impact when he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It's only on the re-watch that I realised that that's when Christy Toye came on. Completely transformed the match.
    Nail
    > head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Flynn is POTY. No question.
    Well, there is a question actually. He's an excellent player but he wasn't able to change the outcome of the game or even get close to be honest even with help from Connolly and the rest of his stars.

MOTM performances from O'donoghue, Murphy or Moran in the final and they will deserve it a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

corny wrote: »
    I think what is certain is hunger is the primary requisite for success.

I absolutely agree, hunger in an amateur or semi pro game is a huge factor. We seen it all the time in pre pro-rugby. Teams turned around after a huge defeat and upset the form book based on the level of their hunger. As the game gets more professional 'hunger' will recede as an influence. Players motivations change gradually.
    The 'hungrier team won' is a phrase you rarely here in soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

K4t wrote: »
    Well, there is a question actually. He's an excellent player but he wasn't able to change the outcome of the game or even get close to be honest even with help from Connolly and the rest of his stars.

MOTM performances from O'donoghue, Murphy or Moran in the final and they will deserve it a lot more.

Pfft.
    Wud ye g'way outta that. Once wee Mc Hugh puts in another stellar performance in the final he'll be taking POTY and Sam and walking off into the sunset. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

K4t wrote: »

Realistically It's probably gonna end up Murphy or McHugh for me.

---

But Flynn was a man alone on Sunday. How could he alone drag Dublin to the AIF? He was immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

soundcrowd wrote: »
    Nonsense talk, Dublin never thought they were in the final, any team that has got to the semi's has obviously proved themselves somewhat to get there.

The media may have wound it up, but that's not Dublin's fault. Any older Dublin fan never thinks a game is a given after the '92 final.

It is strange that a number of individuals associated with this Dublin team had arranged time off work for their trip to Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

It is strange that a number of individuals associated with this Dublin team had arranged time off work for their trip to Florida.

Have you even the smallest modicum of evidence to back up this claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

For crying out loud that is sad. Do you think you may have left the word 'provisionally' out in error? Do you honestly think that this Dublin team thought they would walk over the Ulster and the 2012 All Ireland Champions? Don't tell me you believe that, which, by the way, would be a better way to say it than cheap insinuations: "it is strange that blah blah blah..."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Past30Now wrote: »
    Have you even the smallest modicum of evidence to back up this claim?

You may also find that they had The Gibson "provisionally" booked for the 3rd week in September too. The same as best practice in companies asks employees to indicate extended periods of annual leave - "provisional" and all as it maybe .. seriously ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

That is just simply pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

For crying out loud that is sad. Do you think you may have left the word 'provisionally' out in error? Do you honestly think that this Dublin team thought they would walk over the Ulster and the 2012 All Ireland Champions? Don't tell me you believe that, which, by the way, would be a better way to say it than cheap insinuations: "it is strange that blah blah blah..."

Had to laugh at your username and the post! Can't believe anybody would swallow that either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

They may have booked the time off because when you have a job you just can't walk in on a Monday say oh I'm off to Florida in the morning . You have to plan those sort of things out . You would have to book the time off now in case you need it .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Idiotically Ironically the people actually disrespecting Donegal are those suggesting the only reason they beat Dublin is because Dublin didn't take them seriously.

*head explodes*

Finally got to see the end of the match there.

I'm at a loss as to what the hell is up with Spillane. He was effusive with his praise, completely at odds with what he has been writing.

---

Final thoughts on us:

1. Can't believe Jonny Cooper lasted til 61st min.

2. Michael Fitz, ROC, MDMA and COS were brutal.

3. Paul Flynn, Paul Flynn, Paul Flynn.

4. Martin Carney was a disgrace with some of his comments about Dublin.

5. Joe McQuillan showed no mercy in dishing out cards at the times they were needed. A brilliant performance.

---

Best of luck to Donegal!

Now... to go be productive and stop talking about Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Finally got to see the end of the match there.

I'm at a loss as to what the hell is up with Spillane. He was effusive with his praise, completely at odds with what he has been writing.

---

Final thoughts on us:

1. Can't believe Jonny Cooper lasted til 61st min.

2. Michael Fitz, ROC, MDMA and COS were brutal.

3. Paul Flynn, Paul Flynn, Paul Flynn.

4. Martin Carney was a disgrace with some of his comments about Dublin.

5. Joe McQuillan showed no mercy in dishing out cards at the times they were needed. A brilliant performance.

---

Best of luck to Donegal!

Now... to go be productive and stop talking about Football.

He was excellent apart from the last 20 mins when he tried to bring the dubs back into it. Neil Magee didn't deserve a black card either, He passed the ball and while standing still the Dublin player crashed into him.

I thought whilst I was at the game that Magee deserved a booking. It seemed heavy handed.

On watching it repeatedly earlier I thought it was at least a yellow and the black was fair enough.

There's no way you could say McQuillan was trying to bring us into it.

A lot of the frees we got were as a result of Donegal shutting up shop vigorously. Was always going to happen. No complaints at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Just here to defend Mick Fitz and ROC for a minute....

They weren't brutal at all. They play in the most exposed defence in Ireland on the most spacious pitch in the Country, and they happened to be marking two quality forwards who played very well. I don't think any two defenders would have come out of that game looking well playing in our defensive system on Sunday. In the 2nd half Mick Fitz was the only Dublin player in our half for periods so McFadden had as much space as he wanted to run into. ROC was asked to play as a half back/midfielder basically following Murphy which didn't suit him at all. The way we set up was shambolic.

I'm not saying they played well because they didn't (Mick Fitz fecked up badly for the first goal), but I don't think we should go too hard on individual defenders in that Dublin setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

realweirdo wrote: »
    Yeh Pat, like we'd prefer to watch Kerry lump it into the big man for 70 minutes and hope at least a couple of chances come from from that, ala Jack Charlton style of football. No thank you. Donegal and Dublin were a joy to watch on Sunday.

You do know that Jack Charlton was a player and manager in a completely different sport right? Long Ball may be considered ugly in soccer but its the opposite in Gaelic Football - promoting two of the most traditional skills in the sport - kicking and catching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ganmo wrote: »
    dublin got beaten by donegals defence.
    fair play to the donegal players for sticking to the pundits!

but the the donegal fans booing wasn't on and those few 'injuries' at the end hmm? Murphys on ok but the other lads after kicking the ball away...not on
    The Donegal fans booing wasn't on??! What are you even talking about? The only time I can remember Donegal fans booing was when Dublin got a really soft free on the Hogan stand side and the ref then moved it forward. Well that and the line ball near the end which was laughable. Every time Donegal had a free, even in the minor match, the booing was deafening. Is it ok as long as it's Dublin?

Anyway, great result. The last time I was as tense at a match was the Cork SF im 2012, not good for the heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

ganmo wrote: »
    dublin got beaten by donegals defence.
    fair play to the donegal players for sticking to the pundits!

but the the donegal fans booing wasn't on and those few 'injuries' at the end hmm? Murphys on ok but the other lads after kicking the ball away...not on

Invincible Dublin were beaten fair and square, and well beaten at that, and well beaten in offence, as well as defence. No amount of crying and whining about Donegal is going to change that fact. It's time to get over it.

We're well over it ... it becomes with being Champions .. you learn to be magnanimous in victory or defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I was a neutral at the game (granted, my weuns are Dubs) but I am from the norths so I would have had a liking for Donegal. Not any more. Their gamesmanship in both minor and senior game was as cheating as cheating can be. Very off putting. May even shout for Kerry in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

DoctaDee wrote: »
    We're well over it ... it becomes with being Champions .. you learn to be magnanimous in victory or defeat

Gavin was very complimentary of Donegal after the defeat to be fair to him.

But after winning the All-Ireland last year he (oddly) gave out about referees' treatment of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

fullstop wrote: »
    The Donegal fans booing wasn't on??! What are you even talking about? The only time I can remember Donegal fans

Have to agree here. Dublin were the first county to start this booing lark. Doesn't matter if the opposition are getting or taking a free the booing is deafening. They even brought it into hurling. Now that other "supporters "are doing it they feel agreved . Get a grip Dublin. Ye started this so live with it. Ye were beaten fair and square. Thank god ye didn't win,sure ye haven't stopped moaning since ye lost. Ye would NEVER shut up if ye had won.

freddiek wrote: »
    Gavin was very complimentary of Donegal after the defeat to be fair to him.

But after winning the All-Ireland last year he (oddly) gave out about referees' treatment of Dublin.

Howya Freddie, yeah I remember that interview - very much out of character for the man. I suppose putting a microphone in front of him directly after reaching the summit of the game and he hadn't quite rewired the brain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

emmetlego wrote: »
    I was a neutral at the game (granted, my weuns are Dubs) but I am from the norths so I would have had a liking for Donegal. Not any more. Their gamesmanship in both minor and senior game was as cheating as cheating can be. Very off putting. May even shout for Kerry in the final.
    Dont worry love, your support ll not be missed on our side of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Really?

Tbh I think you're simply trolling (or cant swallow the medicine graciously) seeing as you posted the following in the Dublin GAA discussion thread just 2 short weeks ago.....................

:-)

This team won't be stopped. They will have Donegal with them for 45 minutes (longer than any other team) but will destroy them as they empty the bench. Kerry should beat mayo, and that could be interesting. I'd still see Dublin coasting to victory over any of the 3 remaining teams with the bench strength being the decisive factor.

Only 2 things can beat Dublin. Themselves or a string of serious injuries to key personnel (Cluxton, O'Carroll or Flynn/Bernard Brogan)

Watching county football for over 4 decades now, I'm struggling to remember a team so strong, with depth added. That could be just my old age though! The thing so impressive though, is that they are winning big games, while there are really good Mayo, Kerry and Donegal teams on the scene. Could be a golden era for Dublin GAA fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

fullstop wrote: »
    The Donegal fans booing wasn't on??! What are you even talking about? The only time I can remember Donegal fans

Have to agree here. Dublin were the first county to start this booing lark. Doesn't matter if the opposition are getting or taking a free the booing is deafening. They even brought it into hurling. Now that other "supporters "are doing it they feel agreved . Get a grip Dublin. Ye started this so live with it. Ye were beaten fair and square. Thank god ye didn't win,sure ye haven't stopped moaning since ye lost. Ye would NEVER shut up if ye had won.

Talk to Joe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement